Is ET Out There?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Norman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

One thing is that there are many red shifted galaxies and many blue shifted galaxies. The red ones are older than ours and the blue ones are younger.

Im sorry but that is an incorrect usage of the Red and Blue Shifts. Red and Blue shifts do not express the age of a planet but rather the evidence of that planet heading or moving away from another planet.

Dinosaur, many of the things you've just said are similar to what i've been telling them in earlier posts. There is no reason to believe that Aliens are more advance than us. And it's foolish to think they would want to intefere with us. If they are so advance then they would have "encountered" us long ago, but they haven't either because they aren't as intellegent as we thought they were or they're simply not interested. For all we know maybe we really can't achieve light speed or hyper solitude. If this is true then the chances of us meeting an alien race or 0 cause by the sheer distance between us and any other planet with any chance of life being on it.

Summary: Aliens may not necessarily be more advance than us. This common thought is fogging up your ability to think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Question: Is ET Out There?

Answer: We may never know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

---------
    44% with any kind of planets is a little low- I expect nearly every star will have a few solid bodies in orbt- but very very few wil have inhabitable planets. Still that adds up to a lot of habitable planets in our galaxy because there are LOTS of stars out there.

If there are any intelligent alien civilisations up there they will almost certainly be far behind or far in advance of us; this is simple logic.

The Earth has had no intelligent species for 4.5 billion years; this is the state we could expect that many earth-like planets would be in.
    For perhaps 2 million years there has been human species with stone tools and a primitive culture-
    planets with stone age cultures might also be common.

City building culture (with no electronics) has existed on this planet for ten thousand years-
    there might be a few worlds in this state... they will be rare compared to the previous two categories...

An electronically advanced civilisation on our planet is a hundred years old- planets at exactly our level of civilisation will be as rare as triple lottery winners.

We do not all expect that our civilisation will end in the next hundred years or so- it might last for millions of years...

in which case the vast majority of electronic level civilisations in our galaxy (those that we are likely to be able to contact by radio) will be much older than our own.

Even if the majority of civilisations collapse when they run out of fossil fuels the ones that survive by switching to solar power (as we must) will be the ones that last for thousands or millions of years, and once again will be the great majority of the civilisations up there.
    -------------
    or there might not be any at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

That is true...But the cockaroach and many other animals have been on earth much much much longer than any humans have and they don't seem to be making any revolution of any kind. Which is why I've always wondered why we evolved so quickly? For all we know the ET's out there can be nothing more than a variation of the animals found on our earth.

8. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

The only way

The earth and it's inhabitants are going to last longer than a hundred years from now,...and to find out if we are alone in the universe is to become a space-faring people.

And I don't see this happen any time soon,...unfortunately.

More wars for power and resources as a lever for this power.
    Damn shame,...

There are enough reasons to fly of this friggin planet,...I only do hope it's not because of a blast,....if you understand what I say.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Fly of this planet and travel to another one to fuck up. We should fix what we have first before going anywhere. If we can't get it right here how are we going to make anything better elesewhere?

10. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Why fix it when you can buy a new one?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It will take trillions of dollars to explore space in the future. To travel to another world and establish a small colony would take more trillions. Use that money here on earth to get it right and we won't need to fuck up another planet and during the time we are "healing" Earth we will develop time travel or other ways to get about the universe....perhaps. Robots can do our exploring for very cheap as compared to human exploration.

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Agreed... and this should be the path taken in the near future. When we actually find somewhere to go however, it SHOULD be done. Saying 'trillons of dollars' is somehwat decieving. Measured in materials, an extra planet pays back for itself a trillion fold.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Robots can do our exploring for very cheap as compared to human exploration.

Perhaps for short distanced missions – long distance journeys bring in to account the problem with communications; time delay due to the speed of light. Those types of probes would have to be highly complex in order to be somewhat self-sufficient in not only completing the mission, but also the ability to take precautions and remedy problems that might arise during the journey and at its mission destination.

Essentially, the probe would need to react to situations without the need for long distance remote piloting.

Not an easy task.

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

"Not an easy task" is right... but I'd still bet that it is easier/cheaper/safer then sending people on long distance trips.

15. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

You seem to forget the rapid growth of money this world has. By the time we have enough technology, the supplies and compactment needed to make such spaceships would most like be atleast another millenium before we can even travel outside of our solar system. By then a million dollars would be enough to by a cd player. Think about not to long a rational price was nothing more penny. Now a rational price can go up into the thousands. I don't understand how we would even be able to travel out of the solar system. If it is supposedly impossible to achieve light speed then the possibilities of us making it outside of our solar system is very slim.

Of course if there is some way we can perfect absolute zero then i suppose freezing the passengers of space flight would seem resonable, that is of course if we can thaw them in due time. But by the time it would take them to reach another planet could range up to more than a have a century. Who knows what would happen during that time in our war stricken societies.

Ha this sounds like an excerpt from Orson Scott Card's "Speaker For The Dead", which i would recommend ya'll reading.

16. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Please explain to me why that would be an easier/safe task than sending people out on the long distances, and the benifits of doing so.

I think one of the best things to do is send maybe 4, 5 people out in a completely self effiecient space craft. They populate on their own ship and head out towards a distant galaxy.Their generation may die in due time, but then the next generation will take their place and continue the quest towards whatever planet is out there. Probes can be emmited from the space craft to test and make sure whatever planets are habitable and if they find one then they settle and live on that planet.

But...then comes psychological cons. Spending your whole life in a contained space with a few other people may do wonders to your mental structure, so maybe it isn't a good idea in the first place. If that the case i digress back to my "Absolute Zero" Solution.

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Show me how you can support generations of people on a ship cheaply, safely, and easily. Let alone that your idea also requires them to take enough fuel to navigate this huge ship to 'whatever planets are habitable'. Why dump all these resources into a ship of 4 or 5 people (who will most likely die for one reason or another), when you could build hundreds/thousands of probes for the same cost... and THEN actually know where to send people, thus cutting down on the cost/danger/difficulty of building the ship. We are not at a point where we have the technology to ensure that the resources put into a generational ship are not simply wasted. We should continue to probe until we actually have some place outside this system to go to.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I disagree, Earth is only the womb, the only reason it is getting fucked up is because there are too many people. We should be trying very hard to find other habitable planets, at least to ensure the survival of the only life we know to exist.

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I have yet too see anybody provide an analysis of why the earth is overpopulated. I have little doubt that we could feed, clothe and provide shelter for everybody on the planet... and then some. We just don't do it.

Even after we do overpopulate (or grow faster then we care to support), nature will take care of knocking the population. Barring a large war, we are not going to destroy all life on this planet.

20. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

What r u doing persol?

I don't understand why people like you do this. Maybe if you read the whole post you would see that I disagreed with the idea of sending out a completely self efficient spacecraft for the simple reason the inhabitants would be driven crazy in mere months. You are not proven me wrong by leaving out details of what I've said.

As for fuel, if we find a way to harvest this newly discovered quintessence then i believe we could use this to repulse gravity and navigate our spacecraft with little to no fuel.

1 more thing, i never said we have the technology right now to ensure that the resources put into a generational ship are not wasted. infact if you would have read everything i said you would have seen that such progresses should be waited for atleast another millenium. Pleease like i said before don't leave out details it will just make you look like a fool.

P.S once again if you noticed i said that such a machine would be a bad idea.

21. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: What r u doing persol?

Originally posted by Votorx
    Maybe if you read the whole post you would see that I disagreed with the idea of sending out a completely self efficient spacecraft for the simple reason the inhabitants would be driven crazy in mere months.
    I disagree with your reason of why it is a bad idea, and feel that it would be possible mentally. It's the science behind it that causes the problems.

As for fuel, if we find a way to harvest this newly discovered quintessence then i believe we could use this to repulse gravity and navigate our spacecraft with little to no fuel.

What's that?

22. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

We don't need anybody to provide an analysis of white the earth is overpopulated since any logical person can see for themselves. If there is need of immagration policies and one child laws then it's quite obvious there is something wrong.

I have little doubt that we could feed, clothe and provide shelter for everybody on the planet... and then some.

Ok so you agree that we can't feed clothe and provide shelter for everybody?

Scientifically, we were very close to dystroying the Earth at one time. It is called the "Cold War" and analysis of the war show that if such nuclear weapons were to be launched then the earth and it's inhabitants would have been dystroyed.

23. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

For me it's quite simple.....Even if we recieved an "intelligent" alien radio signal from deep space declaring their existance somewhere in the galaxy....Say 10,000 light years away for example......What are you/we going to do about it? Send a reply, which will ultimately take another 10,000 years to get there and then wait for a response from them? After 20,000 years, I think I would get a little bored with the conversation. I guess though we can go to bed at night knowing that the "big" question has been answered once and for all; "We Are Not Alone" in the universe....Back to business as usual.

Atta Boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!