Is ET Out There?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Norman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

I am a hybrid

We are on the outskirts of the univers, just as we speak our system is bussy to move out of the cosmic night and into the cosmic day,...

there are indeed hundreds of million, billion, planets and systems out there, in fact: with recent testing of certain conditions the forming of habitable planets is as much as 44 times out of a hundred.

furthermore: our 'archaic' radio-signals bounce of the intergallactic shock-wave barrier. The 'hydrogen-line' isn't really the best way to listen for et's msg,....

what else: there's the notion: would you send an official party to an gorilla-colony in the wild? to greet them and tell them that they are now part of the brighter picture in the universe?

no you wouldn't.

does that answers some of your issues?

Greetzzzzz
    Fukushi

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

My suggestion is, if you have nothing to say that's note worthy, then don't say it. This is a forum that expresses views based on some good science.....If that is to difficult understand, then don't say anything. Right??? Right!!!

Your guess is as good as mine....

Norm

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I guess your 'aliens are dinosaurs' doesn't apply though?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

You didn't deny your views are based on nothing, right? Right! So your views are not based on real science right??? Right!!! So it's not worthy to be posted right? Right!!!!

Truth is, you are not interested in discussions based on science. You are interested only in getting a large number of posts to your name. Just look at all your posts.

Keep looking down, norm! There's nothing to be seen!

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Multiple personality disorder?

9. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

Nah.....just wanted to have some fun with that norm guy....

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm suggesting something a little more radical than sending our message through space with a microbe or spore. Even at light speed, it seems likely that any message would arrive long after the messenger species became extinct. So, the message would have to be very informative, perhaps transformative. We are anticipating relatively simple messenges like "I'm here". Perhaps the message is infinitely more complex and has already taken hold of mankind, giving us the tool of conciousness, and spawning the anthropocene era. Perhaps the message takes advantage of existing DNA, tailoring the message to a specific species.

The following is from an interview with Terence McKenna in High Times:

11. Q25 Registered Senior Member

maybe we are too primitive to them,
    just look how crazy some humans behave with all the wars,killings,murders going on,
    would any inteligent ET care to come here,what for?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How long have we been looking for them? 50 years, 100? Maybe it would take a million years of monitoring for something to show up. I don't think we can come to any conclusions yet.

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I think you're backwards there. If there had existed civilization for a long time, signals should be here already, so it would be significant to note this if it weren't for that whole part where someone showed above how we don't know if we really could recieved signals or not. Somewhat of a different issue ya know? So I think you're right - we can't come to any conclusions yet, but that's because we have no data, not because we haven't listened long enough. Meh, I'm nitpicking, pardon.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As we look out at the vastness of the cosmos we have learned a few important things so far. One thing is that there are many red shifted galaxies and many blue shifted galaxies. The red ones are older than ours and the blue ones are younger. Some of the red shifted ones are millions of years older than ours so advanced lifeforms "COULD" be out there. They would have advanced beyond dinosaurs millions of years ago, IMO, so they could have highly developed life existing on them.

The problem is trying to "see" them or "talk" with them. Even todays best electronics cannot reach very far into space at all. True we can "see" very great distances but we cannot "talk" or "recieve" signals because of the vast distances involved. Even if advanced lifeforms were out ther they wouldn't bother to seek us out for we are primevil as compared to them so why would they want anything to do with the likes of us?

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

The same reason some people live with apes or study insects. They need not be interested in us for us, but possibly in what we represent or what they could learn.

16. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Norman has an interesting point of view. The dinosaurs existed for about 150 million years. We have had a technological civilization for about 150 years tops. The Earth has existed for about 4.6 billion years. Do some math on the above.
    • For 3.26% Earth history, there were dinosaurs.
    • For .000 003% of Earth history, there has been human technology.
    • The age of dinosaurs was about one million times longer than our technological age.
    If ET's stopped by in the last billion or so years (which I doubt), they were more likely to have seen dinosaurs than our technological civilization.

BTW: We were ape-like creatures until about 500,000 years ago. That gives the dinosaurs a 300 to one existance span over primates with even a hint of intelligence.

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with you there... but he's claiming THEY would be dinosaurs. Which is silly because nobody is to say if they'd evolve the same anyway.

18. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

If you're going to "Quote" somebody, then you better get it right....The word I used is "most likely" and not "would".....Big difference dude......Turn your monitor rightside up again....O.K.?

I thought education was for everyone....Dinosaurs need not apply.

Norm

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

You'll notice that I didn't quote you.

You'll also notice that "most likely" isn't a word.

Finally, you should realize that in this situation it doesn't matter if you said "would" or "most likely", because both views are unfounded.

20. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

You should realize in this situation that making statements and using words that are not necessarily shared by others who read these forum topics may possibly demonstrate some lack of intelligence, which is considered an attribute by our predesessors.........So if you think you evolved from a dinorsaur, so be it.....But you're welcome to your opinion, no matter who agrees with you or not.....Like I said, keep that monitor upright.....

Keep trying dude....

Norm

21. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

Hahaaa. Norm, this sounds so funny, coming from you.
    By the way, you didn't deny your views are not worthy to be posted. So your views are not worthy to be posted, right? Right!

Stop looking down, norm! There isn't ANYTHING there to see!

22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

What are sources or some supporting arguments for the following three notions?
    There is good evidence for billions of stars (billions of billions, I think). 44% with habitable planets??? I wonder if there are 44% with any planets.

Current theory says that a large red shift indicates a very distant object moving away from us due to the expansion of the universe. As far as I know there are no (or very few) galaxies with a blue shift indicating that they are moving toward us, which is what a blue shift would indicate. There are some stars which alternate between being blue shifted and red shifted due to orbital motion which makes them sometimes move toward us and sometimes move away from us. As far as I know there is no reason to believe that a blue shifted galaxy (if there is one) is younger than our galaxy.

I have no idea how old our galaxy is, but guess that it is at least 8-10 billion years old. We know the solar system is about 4.6 billion years old, and it is surely a lot younger than the galaxy. I wonder if the Milky Way is younger than most galaxies, older than most galaxies, or about an average age galaxy.

Why do so many people assume that alien species are far more advanced than we are? This seems to be a common opinion, without much supporting evidence. I have heard some reasonable arguments supporting the notion, but there are reasonable arguments supporting the notion that we might be as advanced as any species. I think it is very likely that we are at least as intelligent as any species that has developed intelligence (assuming that some ET has developed intelligence).

The Earth provides the only evidence we have relating to life in general and intelligent life in particular. The history of the Earth strongly suggests that life is very likely to occur anywhere that conditions are favorable for its existence. The history of the Earth suggests that intelligent life is a lucky fluke. It is reasonable to believe that most places which have life, do not have intelligent life and that we are more advanced than any species on most planets that have living creatures. It is possible that we are the only intelligent species in the universe, although I would not bet on this idea.

BTW: Mammals, reptiles, insects, et cetera seem to need plant life. Plants do not seem to require any type of animal life, although some plants and insects have evolved into symbiotic relationships making them interdependent. I wonder if there is a planet anywhere with plant life and neither animals nor insects. Or a planet with plants and insects without animals.

23. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Oh well, it looks like this topic turned into nothing more than a place for bashing and insulting. Many things can change in a few days.