Is ET Out There?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Norman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Still - at some radio frequencies, Earth has become by far the brightest object in the Solar System. Anyone within a roughly 90 light-year radius, who is scanning the sky thoroughly across a broad radio spectrum, has a good chance of noticing us by now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of course, there may not be any other intelligent life within 90 light years - or 9000...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

All radio signals produce by earth have propagated out about 100 light years. If anyone out their has detect them, even the very first ones then we won’t hear from them until 2100s as it would take 100 years to get there and 100 years to hear their reply!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It looks like most of us will probably not be around to enjoy the first ET replys even if they sent out a radio signal 50 years ago from a planetary system 100 light years away.........That's life!

Atta Boy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

If we do contact aliens by a means as mundane and slow as radio, the dialogue would have to be continued from generation to generation - maybe one multi-terabyte contribution from each side per century. That sort of remote and gentle contact might be best, at least for Mankind as it is today - no risk of sudden culture shock, no fear of hostility if the distance is beyond either race.

8. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Right now, with the current technology we have for communication, It's possible that I think the best we can expect to acheive is to pick up some random radio signal from deep space that was sent out some thousands or tens of thousands of years ago from a distant planetary system in our galaxy that had evolved to some higher form of intelligence. Whether they would look similiar to us? Who knows. I wouldn't bet on much of anything else at the present........

Atta Boy

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Moderator

Unless they are only 50 light years away...

10. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

The sad thing is: *sighs*, Humans used to look up to the stars, and not only astronomers, but common folks, just like YOU and ME, and they looked up, and stood in awe,...under the stars that shone,...

And Humans knew their place amids this sight,....was in the galaxy,...between the stars,...

Whenever they looked up,...they knew where they where,...they could easely navigate the earth and seas,...

Today however,...one looks up and finds a grey mist is blocking their sight,...maby a miserable one or two lights shine trough,...

Today,..we need astronomers and Hubble,...to show us, common people,

to remind us where we come from,....the stars,...

Today,...we need another earth,...because this one's had it.

Hankerchief anyone?

11. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

What makes anyone think space travel is limited to that of light?
    Give us a measily 100,00 years more for advancement in this area, we'll probly figure it out at least by then.
    And who's to say that another race hasn't began it's intteligent evolution 100,000 years earlier than us?
    That is a pretty small time frame in the existence of the universe.
    Even 100 years more of technological advancement is going to bring some theories into existance thought impossible even today.
    How about half a million years more of possible technological advancement?
    I hope by then we truly will have non-stick pans.

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Moderator

You're living in the wrong place

13. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Finally someone talking sense to me,...for my sakes 'they' could even be teleporting over here and there, troughout all the cosmos.
    It's a matter of fact that WE find ourselves in one of the outskirts of our system,...on the outher ends of one of the spiraling arms,....so we ARE in fact one of the habitable zones that has been around for a longer period of time then the suns and planets more to the centre of our univers. They have a more lethal dose of Gamma Rays to cope with 'cause they're closer to the center of this great gigantic Black hole of ours. (this is not a joke)
    I develloped this theory: we might be able to find life within our own system, even closer to the center, but it would have to be younger then 'us' most probably. Hence there is a great chance that any intelligent civilisation located outside of the circle, would be in fact, OLDER than ours, thus: more develloped.
    I agree!

BUT:
    I shurely hope we've got those starships and space kolonies set up in a couple of hundred years, or humanity might not be alive in a mere thousand years!

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  14. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

zet 2 ret is only about 36 light years away. supposedly takes them only 8 years to get here.

its the closest one, so do you find it coincidental that most of alien sightings and alien information on earth deal with these Greys from zet 2 ret ?

[zonabi's note: not all Greys are from Zet 2 Ret]

---

"Hence there is a great chance that any intelligent civilisation located outside of the circle, would be in fact, OLDER than ours, thus: more develloped"

now this is smart thinking, and probably true. but i would like to add the possibility that there may have been life in this solar system BEFORE us humans. Based on Ancient Texts, Murals and Certain Celestial evidence (such as CS Crater Chains found amongst most of our solar system's planets, except ours) and the wealth of ET information leaking out like a busted water pipe, I have plenty of reason to believe that there has been intelligent life here in this solar system before we were even homo sapiens. Look at some ancient history and you can find some clues of strange life forms who came from the sky. I think this is where we began calling them Gods, for the neanderthals and primitive men did not know any better.

i know you guys in here aren't much for science fiction, which you probably think is what im giving. im not, im just sharing what i think on this situation. the title of this thread is what drew me in. so theres my 2 little cents.

15. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The next time I'm crusing by Zeta 2 Reticulae, which is just a mere 36 light years away, I'll be sure and pay a friendly visit to the planet with the pesky alien egg colony currently incubating in that ancient alien spaceship and see if any more eggs have hatched lately. If you don't hear from me again then you will know some have...........

Atta Boy

16. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Zonabi, I think the same things as you. In my young days, I couldn't stop reading Von Daniken's books. This led me on my quest to find some evidence myself. Twenty years later, I'm still looking for some hard proof, something with which we can state the obvious: that Aliens have been here, and that we ourselves could be 'settlers' from an ancient space faring race, that started all over again on this planet. Maby there were already some proto humans walking on two legs, maby they helped them evolve.

And maybe they even came regularly to copulate with the females? Maby they even raped some of them! Who knows we are all decendends of these,...aaaheeerm,...eerh ... AAH We're gonna pay them back! Those *@£¨ù$^ù8]´??#@|# ALIENS!!!

Uh,...dude,...it's getting late *gawns* I think it's bed time for me, my fantasy is beginning to freak,...cu later

-fukushi out-

17. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's possible that some Neanderthals crash landed here 140,000 years ago in a spaceship and they ended up stuck here and over time, they just had trouble making it, especially to those all of those "club" meetings..........

Atta Boy

18. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

A standard plot in cliched sci-fi is that a starship crashlands on a lush, green, uninhabitated planet. Due to deadly pathogens in the atmosphere, or
    allergic reactions to the local food, all the crew die except for 1 man and 1 woman. In the last few lines we learn that the planet is 3rd out from its sun, and that the 2 survivors are named Adam and Eve...

If this were true, why would Earth's fossil record contain a long progression of primates leading up to humans - and why would we have most of our DNA in common with other Earthly mammals?

Then again, if ancient alien visitors happened to look fairly humanoid (or had the ability to adapt their appearance), there's every reason to think that our ancestors would have considered them gods. The Book of Genesis refers to "angelic beings" who came among humans, took women for themselves and sired "giants... who were the great heroes and famous men of long ago." Could those beings have been the deities of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Hindu, Celtic and other mytholgies?

Maybe Hercules and Achilles etc. should be depicted in the movies as having big grey heads?

19. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

If that were the case wouldnt we have found the tecnology that they crashed here with.

20. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

fukushi

you began your quest quite early. the answers seem to be coming now.

i never read any of Von Daniken by the way

----------------

consistency is not possible thru examining ancient texts that have been translated over and over and over again. human emotions and bias will enter these translation as the ages pass.

all we can do is look for SIMILARITIES between the ancients, and compare and contrast these in hopes of putting more puzzle pieces together.

Xyzth has a good point, that perhaps some of the Dietes are Cross-Cultered, or perhaps depicted in other ancient cultures, if only slightly different.

in reality all we have to do is get our heads of out of own asses and except the fact that other life forms exist, have been a part of ancient cultures, and may be once again returning to Humans on Earth in less obvious and less persuasive ways.

"why would Earth's fossil record contain a long progression of primates leading up to humans - and why would we have most of our DNA in common with other Earthly mammals?"

there is no long progression, and if u really study anthropology, there is MUCH INCONSISTENCY. they find ape-like humans all the time, and these findings jump in their Age, causing wierd data on the charts. We do not see an obvious cross between ape and human at any specific time.
    we do see that Apes developed opposable thumbs all of a sudden.
    we do see that there are different types of Cavemen, with all sorts of names, and all sorts of dates.
    also, if we in fact were direct evolutionary descendants of Apes, there would not BE all of the Apes that are rampant on earth.
    furthermore- you should note that Chimpanzees are beggining to take evolutionary steps to becoming Human, WAY AFTER Homo Sapiens mysteriously came into existance.
    Take a look at the data folks. it took Millions of Years for life to evolve into new forms, yet it only took a few thousands of years for Apes to evolve into homo erectus (or human-like) ?

there is alot of evidence suggesting our theories on anthropology need some polishing.
    ---

let me spill some beans for you all.

the idea we came from apes is not wrong. it jsut didnt happen the way we first theorized it to be.

consider that other intelligent life forms exist, if you do not already accept this fact.
    consider that they are extremely advanced, much like we expect (and know) them to be.
    consider that they in fact came to earth with a reason (i mean, theres usually a reason for actions)
    perhaps they were to help develop life forms on the new earth, perhaps because something had happened and the previous life (dinos) on earth.
    perhaps they wanted a new home to incarnate into

considering the advancements in genetics in our own world today, its easier for common people to realize that genetic engineering is not science fiction.

consider the Aliens studied the earth, looking for an animal that could be genetically altered into a potential humanoid form (which is the form they most likely held themselves)

they ended up picking the Apes, Primates. why? if u consider the alien's advanced knowledge you can probably realize they knew alot about life already (duh, they genetic engineers) and knew, probably after conducting some tests, that the Ape resulted in the most likely to adapt the new genetic enhancements the best.

now, this is when they began the actual project of seeding intelligent life on earth.
    they could genetically alter some apes, and release them on earth and observe them.
    alterations would probably be done, and in some cases, the apes were considered failures. they tested on different apes across the globe, and some consider this the true roots of the 'races' of Humans on earth. i am not sure but think its somewhat true.

consider that after some trials and errors (much like any process) they finally began seeing some positive progress in their new apes. they began using opposable thumbs, they began showing intelligence.

at this time it should be considered that perhaps there were different apes that have successfully adapted to their new genetics. it should also be considered that perhaps different alien factions, perhaps different alien races, had seeded different apes in different parts of the globe. purely speculation on my part.

from this proposed scenario we see the reason why we have the Missing Link , and cannot find the definite line where Apes evolved into Humans- because they didnt ! it wasn't a natural evolutionary process, hence the accelerated time to convert.

what do you fellas think ?

21. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

If climatic change &/or different lifestyles subjected some populations of Miocene apes to different selection pressures from others, they would evolve differently. Evolution is not inevitable - if a species is well-suited to its environment and wway of life, it need not change further as long as the environment remains stable.

Non-human apes live almost exclusively in forests, whereas our ancestors are known to have ranged far more widely. Simply adapting to savannah life as the African forests shrank would force SOME apes to walk upright - while others, remaining in the trees, would carry on as before. Just because certain apes evolved into humans doesn't mean that ALL of them had to.

:bugeye: And who says chimps are becoming more like us - except those who are tamed and forced to appear on TV, in circuses etc? They may have a lot in common with humans, anatomically and behaviourally; but they are the result of a different evolutionary path which ran in parallel with ours. No-one can tell how they will evolve over the next few million years, if we don't exterminate them first.

I wish apes were "rampant on Earth!" Just like there were once elephants, and other megafauna, on every continent (except Antarctica). Fact is, we live in a zoologically impoverished era.

All the great apes are endangered right now. And that's OUR fault - we shouldn't try to blame aliens, saying they put us up to it!

22. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

If you'd find it,....would you share it? I don't think so: Humans are too egoïstic!

Or they make a weapon out of it.

23. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The chimpanzee is our closest living relative.........In a hundred thousand years or so, give a him a shave, haircut, suit and tie and wow! He looks like your brother.

Atta Boy