Is ET Out There?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Norman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

This question is for all of you ET ethusiasts..... I just want to make a simple statement to get this forum going.......If the universe is or was full of intelligent civilizations ("Intelligent" is relative, Right?....Right) that have existed in distant galaxies, either now or sometime in the very distant past (circa: 1 billion years ago or so for example). Why haven't we picked up any intelligent signals yet? We should have by now I would think. Don't you????

Keep me Posted.

Norm

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

why don't they have the common courtesy to send us a christmas card? We certainly did.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

It turns out that it is more difficult to detect radio transmissions than most SETI researchers think;
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/astronomy/faq/part6/section-12.html

quote;
    It should be apparent then from these results that the detection of AM radio, FM radio, or TV pictures much beyond the orbit of Pluto will be extremely difficult even for an Arecibo-like 305 meter diameter radio telescope! Even a 3000 meter diameter radio telescope could not detect the "I Love Lucy" TV show (re-runs) at a distance of 0.01 Light-Years!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Norman, isn't it possible that they simply aren't smart enough? Don't allow movies to make you stupid. Just because they are aliens doesn't mean they are technologically advanced. For all we know we are the most advanced beings in the universe and we haven't been able to do anything regarding space. If this is so how do u expect "ET" to be able to contact us if we can't contact them?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps we already have, and don't recognize it as such. A spore would make a good message, it would travel very far without degradation, only germinate under conditions where life could occur, and the message could be an hallucinogenic chemical, that only reacts with intelligent beings.

9. gregoftheweb Registered Member

Wow, I've never seen it laid out in that much detail before. So what we are hoping for is 1) a very advanced society that is BLASTING copious amounts of powerfull radio waves or 2) a focused signal pointing in our direction.

10. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Spidergoat! I love your spore idea! It could fly through space, and eventually land on an alien world. Then it could propagate itself and begin to grow! Then one day we would find a planet of highly technologically advanced aliens whose civilization had collapsed when the spore arrived and they were all doomed to wander around in a spore-induced haze.

Reach out and Drug someone! If you could make them addictive and only send a limited supply, we'd have aliens here faster than you could say Timothy Leary!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

12. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

If there is life on other planets in other galalxies, most likely they would be populated with some form of dinosaur...Just like earth was at one time. If we expect a reply from planets populated with dinosaurs, maybe we should wait another 250 million years until they evolve into something more similiar to us....If that's the case, that planet's going to be in trouble......

If you can't wait that long, then leave a message.

Norm

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Why? I see no reason to come to that conclusion.

14. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's not a "conclusion"....Just a fact!!!

For new opportunities, check the classifieds.

Norm

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

And this is a fact because....

At least try and finish the sentence.

16. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

O.K.....For new opportunities, Check the Classifieds for new and used automobiles, employment, new/used homes, and rental apartments....

Sounds good to me....

Norm

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Why is life on another planet likely to be like a dinosaur?

18. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You know it seems to me that there shoudl be a ton of intelligent life out there, but that's directly contradicted by SETI's (thus far) fruitless search.

EDIT: I hadn't seen this before postage:

"It should be apparent then from these results that the detection of AM radio, FM radio, or TV pictures much beyond the orbit of Pluto will be extremely difficult even for an Arecibo-like 305 meter diameter radio telescope! Even a 3000 meter diameter radio telescope could not detect the "I Love Lucy" TV show (re-runs) at a distance of 0.01 Light-Years!"

Interesting. Hmmm.

So really, no data. Well, that's frustrating eh? Nothing to go on.

19. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

You know I have to agree with you.....There is just not that many "intelligent" signals coming from deep space these days, is there??? So, it's a pretty good bet that there isn't that much in the way of "intelligent" life out there that's interested enough to send us a few hellos or howdys....Right??? Right!!! In fact, too be honest, I'm just not sure if there is "intelligent" life down here......One of the simple reasons could be the "I Love Lucy" or the "Amos & Andy" show is probably going to turn them "off" anyway about landing on Earth, if they (the intelligent aliens) happen to pick it up (the T.V. signals) by accident (maybe) while cruisng past Pluto oneday in the not-to-distant future.....So.....

Keep looking up anyway.....

Norm

20. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I'm beginning to think you don't even read what other people post.

21. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I'm beginning to think that you read everything that is posted!!!

Hang in there.

Norm

22. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

Spidergoat:

According to some scientists, the best way to make contact is to send out some microbes, just as you discribed. This microbes can reproduce, sending new microbes in all directions. Unlike an em signal that decays with distance, this problem will be avoided with microbes. But unfortunately, microbes travel at a very slow speed. If we ever come across some cosmic microbe that bears evidence that it is indeed artificial, we cannot be sure the civilization that created it still exists. This is a known problem with em signals, but with microbes it is much worse.

23. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

You didn't deny haven't read anything, so you didn't read anything right? Right! So your views are based on nothing, right? Right!

Keep looking up, norm....!