Is Dual Core Unstable

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Pi-Sudoku, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

a friend of mine told me not to buy a dual core CPU because they are too unstable.

Is this true?

I was thinking of getting the Athlon XP 4200

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

I think your friend might be on crack...

From everything I've seen and read dual cores seem to be just as stable as single cored cpus.

btw, I think it's Athlon 64 X2, not XP.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Well some people are having problems with them, but it's mainly due to the dual-cores being configured incorrectly and have been fixed with the help of others. There's a huge thread about it on the AMD forums about X2's and gaming. Heh, it's funny because some have reported ungodly speed while playing games. I mean speed so fast it's unplayable as if playing an old DOS game on it being that fast, lol.

- N

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dannyboy194 Registered Member

Okay hey, I'm the friend. Okay, for gaming getting a dual core thingy is crap to get it now and for it to have an immediate effect. Basically BF2 (battlefield 2) is the only game now (and even then it doesn't have full compatibilty) for dual core processing. Dual core processing will be very good if you are planning for the future.....6months coz all the games which are coming out this year will be compatible with dual core. Dual core is unstable because most apps, games, software etc can't handle dual core because welll they aren't made for it, so i think actually you are on crack, because you really have no idea what you are talking about, dual core processing is very new to the computer world and hell anything which is new is unstable until everything is compatible with it. So please be quiet and go back to snorting....yours dan

8. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

If we don't test dual core and use it then it won't progress.

You sound like a F***ing conservative

9. dannyboy194 Registered Member

You have completely missed my point and focused on an insignificant point. I am saying it is unstable because BARELY ANYTHING CAN RUN ON IT, INFACT NOT ONE PEICE OF MAINSTREAM SOFTWARE CAN RUN ON IT. Find me one and then tell me how stable it is on it and then ocme back with your nieve and ignorant reply

10. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

You seem very sure considering you have never used a dual core computer yourself

11. dannyboy194 Registered Member

Same to you to. You seem sure. You see my arguement is based on fact and statistics, yours is based on dreams

12. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

So what you are saying is that a dual proc system and it would be just as unstable as a dual core system. I mean, since they are basically the same. Two cores in one system I mean.

I guess you've never had to upgrade the HAL on a windows box when putting in a second proc or using a dual core system. Not having the right HAL would cause the system to be unstable, yes, however if you are going on a clean install you SHOULD have the right HAL installed.

Whether something is multi-threaded or not means nothing. Just because a program is not written to take advantage of dual procs doesn't mean that it won't run perfectly fine on it.

As for dual core being new to the computer world, wtf? If you mean that it being dual cores on one chip, then yes, if you mean having two cores in one machine (such as two procs with one core each) then no, you are wrong.

Facts? Have you EVER looked at spec sheets or read ANY documentation on hardware?

Please go back to your crack.

13. dannyboy194 Registered Member

I have. I checked it and read it. Posted on various forums. (twenty times bigger than this pile of crap) gathered peoples experiences. Read multiple articles. Checked gaming and apllication compatibility and yes im right and ur wrong

14. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

LOL that's the best you've got to prove me wrong?

If your research is sooooo extensive, lets see it.

15. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

I'll start by saying I design multiprocessor hardware. Mostly for scientfic and engineering uses, but the facts are the same. Dannyboy has attempted to boil down an EXTREMELY complex and difficult to understand peice of equipment (ie, the new dual, quad and more soon systems) into a yes/no answer for games. You can't do that, and also Danny, try to understand the reasons and not just the answer. Currently, games are indeed written for a singlethreaded execution. This is the same reason very little improvement with games was seen with hyperthreading from Intel (which is actually called SMT for simultaneous multithreading by the creators). Right now, the majority of games use the GPU for most of the hardware, which is the graphics. The only things controlled by the CPU is game AI and basic logic. In the future, these WILL be written in a multithreaded way and some currently are (even if you don't know it). You'll notice games will start to have far better AI abilities, the enemies will seem smarter, you'll be able to have more guys (not necessarily polygons since this is a graphics issue) controllable at any one moment and in general MUCH better physics. In fact, physics is probably the number one reason multithreading will become a necessity in games in 2006+. GPU's don't do physics. When you hit that box, and it falls naturally, bouncing off walls or breaks apart, the CPU has to do ALL of those calculations. A company is now working on a special chip which may someday coexist with your GPU to do these complex calculations but for now, the CPU does it. Say for instance you have an explosion in a game... 100 guys FLY up into the air, they must rotate, possibly bounce off one another and land naturally. Thats 100 guys your CPU has to do the physics calculations for. It only makes sense to do this in a multithreaded way. Some games already do this and you just don't know it because only 1 CPU is detected.

So the fact remains that most games do not currently use multithreaded programming within them because almost no one had a multicpu or multicore computer. That is changing and the games will to. Also, if you've ever used (just used for daily things) a dual core as compared to a single cpu, you'll never go back. Things you never even noticed are far more responsive and its generally a much better experience even if you only minorly multitask while you do your computing.

-AntonK

16. dannyboy194 Registered Member

aaotracker.com
    forums.invisionize.com
    phpbb.com
    forum.americasarmy.com

17. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

You're an idiot.

Two of these forums are game forums and the idiots have no idea what they are talking about. Typcial hardcore gamer. phpbb.com? Are you serious? I know there are some pretty knowledgable people there but none of them know hardware that indepth. As for the invisionize.. It seems to me like that is more of a programming/scripting/skinning page...

18. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

First off, if you're having a problem with a certain product, you should go to that product's website/forums for the best information. I find it silly you've not gone to the AMD forums since your concern is specifically about the X2. Gaming websites don't know jack squat and is usually filled with people bitching about games not working blah blah blah, you should know what I'm talking about as it's the same on every game forum.

Anyways, here's the thread I mentioned on the AMD forums and you'll find some helpful tips there. Not everything is there so you should check out the various other sections and threads of that message board.

Problems gaming on my X2:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=60070

- N

19. dannyboy194 Registered Member

omg how fucking geeky are u all? do u have nerd sex on these forums? and show each other ur 1inch weener? and tell people that ur proud ur the only one who has ever touched it except ur mother?

Seriously i find forums which challenge urs and u get so geeky....but then again those forums are bigger and FAR LESS geekier than this crap whole

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

At least nerds can spell actual words.

21. dannyboy194 Registered Member

resident monkey is that what u call urself on these forums and have as ur title because ur so sophisticated?

22. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Sadly the difference between the "other" forums and ours is that you will get actual CORRECT answers here...

23. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Hey Spuriousmonkey, can I groom and pick the bugs off ya if you stroke me so I can lube OptertonGuy's CPU?

Mmm, nerd sexxx0rs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.