Is consciousness to be found in quantum processes in microtubules?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Write4U, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I never claimed that. My claim is that mathematics are the rules by which creation and evolution (via natural selection) progresses. To build a house you first need a blueprint. Then you need a list of materials that are required by the blueprint. Once those materials are available the building can procees in accordance to the rules set forth in the blueprint. You miss some of the instructions and that part of the house will collapse by the mathematical laws of natural selection.

The order that exist in nature is due to the deterministic mathematics that permit or prevent relational interactions to be successful or fail.
    It is the Logical quasi-intelligent essence of the Universe.

IMO, it is also the reason why there are so many religions ascribing a motivated intelligence as the creative agency. There is an illusion of intelligent design, but in the end it is just simple mathematical functions.
    (value) Input --> (mathematical) function --> (value) Output --> (observable) Patterns.

My claim is that only Logical (mathematical) processes are necessary for the creative and evolutionary chronologies to unfold from the interaction of inherent potential values enfolded in all things.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Your turn. What in the world is "life's energy"?
    The "Elan vital" that has been proven to be "overthinking" the creative problem? Like religion?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Élan_vital

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And that is where I believe you are missing the point. Microtubules are "data processors" and as such obey EM laws, that are mathematical in essence.
    Note that microtubules are dipolar spiral coils, which means they are microprocessors. Moreover, their variable length makes them into "potentiometers" and that is an active control mechanism, not just a passive conductor.

Now imagine a network of a trillion actively controlling data processors and add a few billion years of evolutionary processes, producing a more finely tuned and sensitive communication network with each generation.

Note that microtubules themselves are evolved from Prokaryotic fibrils which were the common microtubule precursor.

Origin and Evolution of the Self-Organizing Cytoskeleton in the Network of Eukaryotic Organelles, Gáspár Jékely

Abstract
    And IMO, this is the "beginning" of evolving emergent consciousness.
    https://cshperspectives.cshlp.org/content/6/9/a016030.full

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

See what you're discussing here:

Information about any physical system can be as coarse-grained or fine-grained as you can manage to make it.
    Evolution though is a process; this process inputs (some form of) information and outputs different information--it might only be slightly different.

Difference is what entropy (in particular information entropy) is based on.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And that means it cannot be valid either way? I know what I am discussing and at what level.

So far, every general conclusion I have arrived at from available information has been confirmed by the ongoing research in this important field of inquiry.
    I believe that's exactly what I posited, with supporting scientific links. If you are referring to the genetic mutation of chromosome 2, that has to do with "intelligence", not consciousness.
    What difference are you talking about? Consciousness is based on information entropy?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Nope, I didn't mention any chromosomes. I didn't mention intelligence or consciousness either.
    I was only referring to evolution making changes, nothing else. I didn't even say anything about how it does this (but in bacteria and viruses, it happens quite quickly mostly because of transcription errors; it's how the covid variants arose over the last two years, for example).

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Well they are both products of evolutionary processes and their functional proto-types can be measured very early in the cytoplasm and cytoskeleton of even single-celled organisms. The evolutionary refinement and complexity of intelligence and emergent consciousness is demonstrated by all the surviving levels of species adapted to their environment, from extremophiles that require an environment that is deadly to all other species, to the mayfly that spends most of it's life in the larval stage and when hatched has just 24 hr to live and mate and for the female to die in water, because any eggs on land dry out and never hatch to produce a next generation. Natural selection solved that problem by producing up 3000 eggs and the female seeks water while spreading her pheromones on the wind which males several males away can detect and follow towards the female. The number of successful reproductive processes are astounding. Natural selection is extremely effective over long periods of time. This is why man has adopted the process in its quest to breed variety in species that are only ornamental.
    Yes, and that is why the proper definition of evolution is " evolution via natural selection" where natural selection becomes the arbiter of survivability and ultimately benefit the species' gene pool.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes despite the body's defenses, any cellular mutation in nanoscale organisms are relatively large and usually affects their virulence positively or negatively because that is the only dynamic attribute viruses have. OTOH, cellular mutations in large organisms usually create relatively small variations that may or may not be beneficial to the organism's ability to survive in its environment and pass the survivability test of natural selection.

Hence the enormous variety of adapted species as well as the unmeasurable number of variations that did not survive the test of natural selection.

11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Information and its input from an external environment, if say, we decide the brain and all its neurophysical extensions throughout the body is separate, in some logical sense, from the rest of the body, is for that brain, quite a limited set.

I think that means we are conscious of the external world because we don't get the chance to input a whole lot of information from it. Our senses and our sense of a flow of time are only as good as evolution "decided".

Or, evolution doesn't and hasn't given us any greater perceptive sense (information input capacity or bandwidth) than we needed. Evolution is parsimonious (yes, that's one of those big words).

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I believe it has been decided that all cells in eukaryotic organisms are in communication with each other and by extension with the brain via the spinal cord. (Note: neurons are cells with cytoplasm and cytoskeletons)
    I agree, natural selection only selects for survivability by reproduction and survival skills and do not necessarily have to be complex as long as they allow for reproduction.This is why we can observe adapted species over a range and stages of evolution, sufficient for that species. The great apes except for homo sapiens are a perfect baseline of naturally evolved intelligence and by extension consciousness sufficient to survive in several types of forests.

Humans seem to be an anomaly and possess intelligence and conscious awareness far beyond natural necessity due to a major beneficial mutation (fusion of 2 chromosomes into 1 larger chromosome). It is what allowed us to migrate, invade, and conquer most of the solid land. It may also be our demise! We have become too successful and are now on a par with other invasive species that kill their host.
    True, almost all animals exceed humans in some type and form of sensory ability.

But the human brain seems to be the most complex in the animal world and capable of deep analytical powers over and above adaptive necessities.
    One of the excellent qualities of the human brain is the ability to recognize the mathematical essence of natural phenomena and how this mathematical essence can be symbolized and used to artificially imitate natural phenomena.

Many other animals have a sense of quantity and/or quality (more (good) here and less (bad) there). Even bees can decide which patch has more flowering plants than another and communicate that information to the rest of the hive. Many predatory animals use triangulation to calculate distance and trajectory. The variety of survival skills is endless in scope and subtleties.

Humans have almost all of them and where we don't we make instruments that inform us where our natural senses fail. Our survival skill is in tool making and imitating natural processes themselves. Humans are the living gods of this planet.

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

These living gods: why do they enjoy listening to music?

What's your theory? Please try to use physical thoughts in your answer
    (not so subtle dig at James R)

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please stop trolling, arfa.

Ta.

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Because we can reproduce and imitate the natural affinity and symmetry of self-ordering wave functions and natural harmonics with instruments tuned to wave-lengths audible to the human senses.
    Personally, I played music for a living for 7 years .
    Harmonics. It has been proven that harmonics can have beneficial or destructive influence on physical objects.

Positive harmonics can bring balance and symmetry (order) from chaos.
    Disharmony can be causal to symmetry breaking and the disordering into chaos.

When wave functions have symmetry reality is ordered and in balance. When wave functions are asymmetrical we have disorder and imbalance.
    These states of order (comfort) and disorder (discomfort) are experienced by all physical objects.

In conscious orgnisms these states translate in physical experiences of comfort (in harmony) or discomfort (out of sorts) with reality.

Music is the purposeful ordering of harmonic soundwaves to elicit emotional experiences, not only in humans but in many other animals.

16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

All fermions have an antisymmetric wave function, which is why the Pauli Exclusion Principle applies to them. That includes all the common particles of matter (proton, neutrons, electrons). Bosons, e.g. photons, have symmetric wave functions.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

This may describe the phenomena of symmetry and order more formally.

A Semi-Harmonic Frequency Pattern Organizes Local and Non-Local States by Quantum Entanglement in both EPR-Studies and Life Systems
    Hans J. H. Geesink1*, Dirk K. F. Meijer2

Abstract:
    https://m.scirp.org/papers/83684

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

And sound in music is classical waves. Humans aren't equipped to hear quantum probabilities, right?

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Roger Penrose seems to think the brain is able to process quantum data . That's what ORCH OR is all about.

And there is evidence that supports that concept.
    It is proposed that microtubules are not only able to handle EM and EC data, they may be able to process qubits as well.
    Considering the astounding versatility of microtubules I would not dismiss this notion out-of-hand.
    Don't forget that microtubules themselves are nano-scale bi-directional processors and that is the domain where quantum becomes real, no?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What exactly do they process? A process involves operating on an input to produce an output. What is the input, output and processing of a microtubule?

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What do neurons process? What do synapses process? What process takes place during mitosis?
    What information does the cytoplasm and cytoskeleton of every living cell in a body process?

First; Microtubules regulate the heart beat!
    IOW the autonomous pumping function of the heart is driven by microtubules!!!
    How do they do that? Perhaps it is the same as how a single celled paramecium swims without a neural network.
    Apparently, microtubules are able to function autonomously and that is astounding!

Microtubules’ role in heart cell contraction revealed

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...otubules-role-heart-cell-contraction-revealed

Microtubules play a role in a host of other critical life sustaining functions via the neural network.

What Is the Autonomic Nervous System?

Note that the interior of every axon that connects all neural cells, consists of arrays of microtubules. Axons may contain as many as 100 bundles of microtubules

It is estimated that the entire human body may contain:
    27 varieties of MT and perhaps more than 100 trillion MT, all of them active in data processing of one kind or another.

Detail showing microtubules at axon hillock and initial segment.

More..........

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

continued...

Microfilaments

Actin filaments have a number of important roles in the cell. For one, they serve as tracks for the movement of a motor protein called myosin, which can also form filaments. Because of its relationship to myosin, actin is involved in many cellular events requiring motion.

Intermediate filaments

Unlike actin filaments, which can grow and disassemble quickly, intermediate filaments are more permanent and play an essentially structural role in the cell. They are specialized to bear tension, and their jobs include maintaining the shape of the cell and anchoring the nucleus and other organelles in place.

Microtubules

Left: 3D model of a microtubule, showing that it is a hollow cylinder of proteins. Right: Cartoon diagram of a microtubule, showing that it is made of two different types of subunits (alpha and beta). The subunits form dimers, and the dimers are connected in a spiral pattern to form the hollow tube of the microtubule.
    Image credit: OpenStax Biology.

more.........

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

continued......
    Flagella, cilia, and centrosomes

Upper: Transmission electron micrograph of flagella in cross-section, showing the 9+2 microtubule array organization.
    Lower: Cartoon diagram of a motile cililum, showing the singlet microtubules in the center, the outer doublet microtubules arranged in a circle around the singlet microtubules, and the dyneins attached to the doublet microtubules. The whole structure is surrounded by plasma membrane. At the base of the cilium lies a basal body, which is also made up of microtubules.
    _Image credits: upper panel, "The cytoskeleton: Figure 5," by OpenStax College, Biology (CC BY 3.0). Modification of work by Dartmouth Electron Microscope Facility, Dartmouth College; scale-bar data from Matt Russell. Lower panel, modification of "Eukaryotic cilium diagram," by Mariana Ruiz Villareal (public domain)._

Image of a centrosome. The centrosome contains two centrioles positioned at right angles to each other.
    Image credit: modification of "Centriole," by Kelvinsong (CC BY 3.0)

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...-a-cell/tour-of-organelles/a/the-cytoskeleton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.