Is Chemistry Science's Poor Relation ?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Captain Kremmen, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You are probably right. They are making up laws so quickly to restrict freedoms, that it is hard to know what is legal and what is not.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I wonder if there is a case for listing items in multiple forums, say on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd basis. It is almost a waste of time introducing topics to the Chemistry or History sections. I am a newbie and I have already introduced a question that would be better suited to people interested in History to another section, simply because I thought I had an important question and I wanted it looked at. There were 37x the number of people looking at the time.
    I understand that this may present programming difficulties and not be possible, but I wonder if people have looked at it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I know nothing about forum mechanics, but that might be a bit tricky. I think that if you want a topic looked at, a good title is key, so that people see it pop up and have a look.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It is more specialized then the others. Other forums are broader. And this forum is fairly new too...

8. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Actually, Chemistry as a topic is broader than all the others in this section. It's just that actually looking into anything related to it is actually quite hard. How much doyou know about quantum chemistry, pharmacology, metallurgy, combustion, catalysis, and a bunch of other topics? Probably not enough to be able to hold much of a conversation about them.

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

First of all, quantum chemistry is physics. Second, pharmacollogy is usually discussed as part of biology. Finally, the other stuff uses basic chemistry. So, in other words, we are back to square one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Ahhh, well there I disagree. When I was back at uni, doign chemistry, quantum chemistry was regarded as a mix between physics and cemshitry, but in the chemistry department, in part because it ultimately was about the behaviour of atoms. We even did a bit of quantum physics as part of the degree. Then pharmacology again depends on the chemical structure of the molecules in question. AS for the other stuff, it is a misnomer that they use basic chemistry. Thats what is so much fun abotu chemistry, the basic stuff is easy enough, but then it fits together in hugely complex ways.

11. reprak Registered Member

Cemistri is very difficult science...

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I think that the problem with chemistry is that all the basic problems have been solved.
    Industrial chemistry is not going to interest a lot of people.
    Most of the best bits have been co-opted into other areas.
    Genetics, Pharmaceuticals, Quantum Chemistry. etc.
    The chemists have not made a good job at defending their territory.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It has been said that the 19th was the Century of Chemistry, the 20th was the Century of Physics, and the 21st will be the Century of Biology.

Chemistry today has a higher profile as engineering than as science, which is a sure sign that it's a mature discipline.

As for defining what is and is not a "science," as far as I'm concerned at a minimum it must adhere to the scientific method. Its theories must be:
    • Based upon observations
    • Elaborated by logical reasoning
    • Prioritized with Occam's Razor
    • Peer reviewed
    • Disprovable
    This is not a complete list but it's enough for our purposes. I think that rules out fortune telling, but barely accommodates anthropology.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

All of those things fall under the chemistry department at my university (although the biology department does plenty of stuff on their own with genetics, of course).