Is CERN a waste of money ?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Lostinspace, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

My theory of space is that it's unbounded in a bounded sense. You guys just aren't smart enough to get me. Maybe if you improved your English, went back to school or just really listened to what I'm saying you would learn something.

I have a theory that dark is the universal constant and not light. Einstein had it backward.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

Alas poor Yorlik, I knew him backwards.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Or maybe your tongue is embedded so deeply in your cheek that everything you say comes out garbled.

Seattle likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RADII Registered Senior Member

What is your aversion to reading, or doing some study on your own? Articles about LIGO give you the very answers you want, but they do require you to do some work & thinking.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That may be correct.
    But if you and your brother travel 60 miles to the same destination, on separate trains going 60 mph and 55 mph, you will arrive at the destination 5 minutes younger than your brother will be when he arrives.
    By going faster your time slowed down relative to your brothers time.

9. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

RADII, Hayden was perma-banned last thursday.

10. RADII Registered Senior Member

Ach! Didn't notice. Thanks.

11. roberts Registered Member

CERN is an example of h'herd instinct science'. - and also a vehicle for individuals to gain noteriety.

if not downright dangerous itself, its promise of unleashing huge amounts of low.cost energy, in operation, if sucessful, would be disasterous.

as Arthur C. Clarke said:

'as far as I am aware, all energy eventually decays into heat'

along with Cold Fusion,satellite laser/microwave-beamed solar energy, it is atechnology objective that is uneeded/unusable. research into reducing the total amount of energy used, would be more useful, like building graphene& bubble-hulled solar-sail ships, ditching huge marine deisel engines

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
  12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i share that theory in a general literary manner

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Welcome to sciforums, roberts. It is a little odd that you jumped into the middle of a year-old thread to make your first post. Why was that?

Also, for future reference, it would be useful if you could use [quote][/quote] tags to make it clear in your posts which parts are yours and which are quoted from somebody else. I have fixed up your post this time.

So, to the content:

What you do you mean by "h'herd instinct sicence'"?

As for notoriety, when people make significant scientific advances, there is always a chance that they will gain some fame or notoriety as a result. Is that a problem for you?

Regarding CERN, do you have anybody specific in mind? After all, thousands of people work on the LHC.

I think you might be confusing CERN with experiments in nuclear fusion or something. CERN doesn't produce any energy. It actually uses large amounts of energy.

What technology objective are you referring to in regards to CERN? Its aim is scientific research, not the production of technology, per se.

So, does all this boil down to you saying you think CERN is a waste of money?

14. river

Cern is about the particle . Fine .

Not about the wave .

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please post on topic, or stay out of the thread. Thanks.

16. river

I'll stay out .

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: river has been excluded from posting to our Science subforums for a period of 2 years.

river has had two previous exclusions applied, but we have observed no change in his posting to the Science subforums. This ban is applied in accordance with our published policy on exclusion from the Science sections.

Members who are in doubt as to what is required when posting in the Science sections should review our site posting guidelines and the exclusion policy before posting.