Is Books-A-Million Perhaps Too Christian?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Augusta, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Augusta Registered Member

A while back during the holidays, my sister and I were making our annual trip around the mall to get a few last minute gifts before Christmas Eve. We hadn’t gotten a gift for a nurse friend of ours, so we decided to check if Books-A-Million had any sort of humorous doctor/nurse books or calendars (the kind that mainly have amusing anecdotes about interesting experiences around the hospital) that our friend really enjoys. Upon entering, my sister had pointed out the first two isles were titled “Christianity” right next to the entrance. I know that Books-A-Million is a Christian store, but I hadn’t realized that such a large portion of it was dedicated to it. We had a good laugh, and went on. We fist checked the “Humor” section. There was nothing really promising, so we tried looking for a medical or even a health section. There were none. This only led us to go to the science section way in the back of the store. I was greatly disappointed when I saw it. There were only two small shelves that were far from full. It looked like someone had completely raided the section and mixed all of the chemistry, astronomy, and biology texts together. I’m even surprised that these subjects didn’t have their own sections. The science section wasn't just small, it was badly organized. But this makes me wonder, perhaps this isn’t the case everywhere. Since I live in a small, southern Christian town, it may just be the location. However, I'd just like to pose a question, does Books-A-Million have a heavily concentrated Christian section with a pathetic science section everywhere (because of its Christian background) or is it just my small rural town?