Is Abortion a right someone should have?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by hug-a-tree, Dec 31, 2005.

1. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Many foster children live full, comfortable lives. As much as you want it to be true in order to support your case, not all foster homes are run by evil people who torture the children by sticking them in the ovens and turning the broiler on. And as I've said many times before, a chance at life > death.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

That's really sad. I know this guy who's was never adopted. He spends his Christmas's by himself and everything since he doesn't have any family. I'm sure though, for the most part, that he's happy he's alive. He's really smart and he's in the military.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Jeez, thats incredibly sad. Feel sorry for the guy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And many don't! Would you like to compare the two statistics?

Baron Max

8. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Sure, got any?

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, .....it's sorta' like, "Who wants a kid that even his own parents don't want ....and threw away?"

If you really want to cry your eyes out and have your heart ripped right out of your chest, go to some of the "adoption parties" that are held ...where the kids are "paraded" around so potential "buyers" can examine them up close!! Oh, god, I've seen cattle auctions that are more humane!

Baron Max

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, no, QuarkMoon, because I'm old and don't know much about "searching the 'Net", but I'm sure that ye're young and agile ....perhaps you could do it for us?

Baron Max

11. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Just because I'm younger I have to do all the work? No thanks, I've been awake all night, I can't be bothered to do any Google searches. So, until some statistics are presented, I will stick by my statement.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

FallingSkyward:

You argue that the probability of the embryo becoming a healthy child is much higher than the probability that I will win the lottery. On that basis, you argue that the embryo ought to have the rights of the child, but I ought not to have the rights of a lottery winner.

If probability is the dividing line, consider another example.

Prince Frederick is currently the heir to the throne of Denmark. He is a potential king. The probability that in the future he will be King of Denmark is very high - much higher than my chances of winning the lottery. By your argument, as a potential king, he should, right now be given all the same rights as the King.

Another (somewhat weaker) point: You compare the gestation of a foetus to putting some money in the bank and waiting for the interest to accumulate. In that example, the foetus is similar to the money. Does the money have a right not to be withdrawn from the bank, because of its potential to grow into a large sum? In principle, ANY money I put in the bank will eventually grow into a large sum of money. But that doesn't mean I should never be allowed to withdraw any money from the bank. I might need that money to buy food, for example, in which case my interests would outweigh any the money might have in staying in the bank.

Can you respond to this? Because Quarkmoon hasn't made a very good fist of it.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Quarkmoon:

Why draw the line at conception? A separate sperm and egg are a potential child. Why don't all sperm not have a right to life?

Just before sperm meets egg, we have two cells. Just after, we have one cell. According to you, that one cell has all the rights of a new born baby, while the separate sperm and ovum have no special rights. Why? Surely they have approximately equal potential.

That's completely incorrect. This is an important point. It is only because your morality is inconsistent that you immediately, without even starting to think, dismiss the rights of sentient creatures, while at the same time giving much greater rights to a random class of non-sentient beings.

In short, you are quite happy to kill an adult cow, for example, which is a fully conscious, thinking and feeling being with the potential to continue to live a full and happy life. Why is killing it ok, according to you? Because it will give you a small amount of pleasure. Any yet, at the same time, you will defend the "rights" of a human embryo, which has no consciousness, does not think, has no feeling (up to a certain stage). Why? Because of its "potential" to grow into an adult human?

Giving special treatment to human life just because it is human rather than some other species is called speciesism. No ethically valid argument can be made for such a position.

On a less important point, your claim that humans must eat animals for their "nutritional value" is also baseless. Yes, Quarkmoon, I have heard of vitamins and iron. They are all readily available in vegetables and other non-animal foods.

For example, vitamin B12 is found in dairy foods, eggs, breakfast cereals and soy milk. Protein is found in grains, cereals, peanut butter, baked beans, milk, eggs, yoghurt, pasta, seeds, peas and beans. Iron is found in pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, peanut butter, chick peas, hommus, soy beans, kidney beans, wheat bran, wheat germ, dried figs, peaches, prunes... The list goes on and on.

No, you're just getting defensive. You're right about age, of course. Age doesn't automatically make you more knowledgable. I'm more knowledgable than you on this issue simply because I've obviously looked at it more carefully than you. But you'll learn.

I checked back, but could see anything. Come on, Quarkmoon. One sentence ought to be enough. "Two abortions are worse than one because ..."

That's a lot of conditions. I found your escape clause particularly amusing: "if complete prohibition cannot be made". Given that clause, your actual answer seems to me to be: you don't really care if adoption would be more traumatic for mothers - abortion should be prohibited even in such cases. Why not be honest about it?

If, on the other hand, your escape clause was accidental, then I wonder why you are suddenly bringing in the mother's interests, when previously only the interests of the foetus mattered to you. Suppose all your conditions (1)-(4) are met in a particular case. None of those things change the fact that the embryo is a potential human adult. So, why does your main argument get thrown away at this point, if these conditions are met? What makes the difference?

Do you think this would be the case for most women who have abortions? If not, approximately what proportion would you estimate?

14. FallingSkyward How much is there to know? Registered Senior Member

Is he treated as a potential King? I would assume so. Sure, he does not have the specific rights of King, but he is given the right BECOME king. Everyone around him knows that he most likely *will* assume the position, and he is treated according to this recognition.. Prince Freddy's potential has great influence on how others decide to treat him. According to some people, the fetus' potential should not have any influence when deciding how to "treat" it.

I was making a more direct comparison of the two. To do this, the money would have to disappear if you attempted to withdraw it before the 9 months period elapsed. (this is partly why i said it was a bad comparison - you aren't reaping any benefits from trying to take the money out as you may if you aborted the child, similarly you couldn't USE the fetus for anything..you just might benefit from its destruction. )

But the real question at hand is if the money is still instrinsically valuable to you even though it isn't yet in your possession. At the core we are debating if the fetus should be viewed as if it were as important as a human because it of its potential to come into being. Only if it isn't important should the possibility of discarding it be considered. I'll entertain the thought of taking the money out before the time has elapsed; you say that because you might need that money for something else more immediately important(i.e. you might not want the baby for whatever reason) you would take it out at the drop of a hat. And this is where the problem with comparing human life to anything else comes into play. The money is easy to hypothosize using/discarding before it reaches capacity, we don't value money as much as human life(at least most of us don't). Because of this component, the issue of abortion is placed on a completely different level than that of any other comparison. We're dealing with life; not money, not status.

Take this into consideration: It is illegal to detroy eagle eggs. The eggs are going to become eagles. Yes, we institute this law because eagles are an endangered species, but that is not the point. Human abortion is obviously not about population control. The potential is recognized and valued in the eagle egg, as it should be in the human fetus(or as you like to spell, "foetus"..gimmie a break)

To answer your request, I do not understand how you think that a sperm singularly and an egg singularly should be seen as having the same or "approximately equal potential" as the two joined together. Put a spermie, egg, and embryo side by side. Watch them for a few months. That sperm has not changed! The egg has not changed! But...oh my. Check out that embryo! It now has a face and hands and ... a beating heart! The definition of potential is an INHERENT capacity for coming into being, or expected to come into being. The sperm and egg lack this, and this is an important distinction. The merging of the two create something NEW, something that has an inherant ability to become what it is meant to become.

To say that a sperm and egg should recieve the same view of potential as a fetus is akin to saying that the one-in-a-million lottery can be compared to the expected birth of the fetus. Each sperm has a one in a million(or whatever) chance of reaching the egg, if it gets there, it wins! The lottery ticket doesn't even have potential by definition, it is has just a <i>chance.</i> The sperm have a small chance of fertalizing the egg, the embryo has potential. Savvy?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

FallingSkyward:

And I'm saying that it is fine to treat an embryo as a future child. But those who argue for a blanket ban on abortion want to treat the embryo not as a future child, but as a current child.

It is a simple point: A potential or future X is not yet an X, and therefore does not automatically inherit all the rights of an X now.

Then I disagree with those people. But I am not arguing that abortion should not be restricted in any way. I am simply arguing that it should not be illegal. I am arguing that in certain circumstances, abortion is not an unreasonable course of action. And I'm not just talking about rape and the like.

If taking the money out now puts food on the table, then that would seem to me to be a direct benefit you get now. Similarly, if aborting a foetus means a woman doesn't have to endure a 9 month pregnancy, followed by a birth and the associated problems with supporting the baby (or adopting or whatever) after birth, and all that goes along with those things, then that is an immediate, tangible benefit to the mother, right now.

I do not see why it is unreasonable to weigh up this benefit to the mother against the detriment to the embryo.

I agree that it should be viewed as having more than zero rights, and in that sense it is "important". But I see no reason why, in many instances, the interests of the mother cannot be more important. Pro-lifers concentrate entirely on the embryo/foetus and completely ignore the mother. Why? Is the mother unimportant?

But there is immense hypocrisy here, too, among pro-lifers. Why is human life so valuable, and yet animal life, even the lives of mature animals, is worth so very little? What makes a human embryo so much more worthy of moral consideration than, say, a two year old cow?

Why aren't all pro-lifers vegetarian, if they really believe all life is sacred? Simple answer: they don't really believe all life is sacred. Just human life. Why? Usually religious reasons. They've been told, so they believe it. But they never really think about their own moral positions; they're just inherited.

I agree that potential should be valued, but I stridently disagree that it ought always to take precedence over competing interests.

What is your position in the abortion debate, by the way? I get the impression you are against any form of abortion. Is that true? And if so, why?

(On language: I'm guessing you're American, so you probably know no better than to spell it "fetus". I don't have a problem with that, but do you really need to criticise a correct English spelling? After all, English was invented in England. Also, it's "oe" dipthong, technically, but I don't know how to do that on a computer screen.)

Ah! But the embryo can't do that on its own, can it? It needs a uterus in which to do that. And somebody owns that uterus. Which suggests to me that that somebody ought to be part of the equation. What do you think?

Just to be clear, do you propose that the line between full rights and no rights ought to be drawn at the moment of conception? Or would you give limited rights to sperm? Or what?

I will address this after I have your response to the above question.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

quarkmoon

There are over a million abortions a year in the U.S. There have been over 40 million abortions in America since Roe v. Wade. There aren't remotely enough prospective adoptive parents to adopt a million unwanted children a year, year after year, even if every one of those children was an ideal adoption candidate (newborn, white and healthy), which many or most of them certainly would not be. The idea is just ludicrous.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

quarkmoon

Children are not well served by adoption, which provides them a divorce-like situation where they are torn between their natural families and the people adopting them. They are better off without this divorce-like situation if possible.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

here are some adoption facts
    http://www.exiledmothers.com/adoption_facts/index.html

this from another site:
    Without an understanding of what being pregnant means to a woman, what right does he have to advocate so forcefully the merits or demerits of adoption and abortion?
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/sushi...th-involve-pain/2005/03/01/1109546864717.html

here is a site about the abortion vs adoption debate:
    http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3402502.html

about few sites on adoption:
    http://www.adoptiontriad.org/primal.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/counting_to_ten/index2.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  19. FallingSkyward How much is there to know? Registered Senior Member

James, I feel the need to address why I haven't responded... I have been working on my grad project and can only afford 5 minute "reward" breaks here and there, it was bad of me as far as my real life goes to engage in this in the first place...i'll get back to you when i have more than 5 minutes here and there to spare; which should be friday. These forums are too addicting for my own good.

P.S. I was kidding about the "foetus" thing...We Americans like to make fun of foreign quirks. Affectionately, of course...It’s supposed to be charming =) Sorry if it didn't come off that way.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

they say to-mott-toe
    we say to-may-toe

21. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

interesting...
    What would you do if a child was stuffed up your ass? That's sort of a different problem. :bugeye:

22. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:
    Fist?

23. zenobia Registered Member

I can see where you are coming from, but this is different in that the 'child' has grown inside the mothers body, it is physically a part of her.
    It's a little different taking someone's child and stuffing it up your ass...That's probably an entirely different moral situation, I imagine...