Is 24:00 12:00am or 12:00pm?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Reid, May 26, 2004.

1. Reid Registered Senior Member

Odd question maybe but I need to know exactly when AM turn over to PM and the other way around.

Is it true that 00:00 (24:00) can be both 12:00 am and 12:00 pm?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

12:00pm it is say i, and only that according to the book of unsound logic that is me. dam im good, its always nice to help people

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

2400 is the same as 0000 which is 12:00am

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I think Reid is referring to how 11:59 is am then 12:01 is pm. And the same for 11:59 being pm and then 12:01 being am. But is 12:00 even, can it be both?

To me, I would think that exactly 12:00:00 is still am (or pm) but doesn't hit pm (or am) until 12:00:01 once one second passes.

- N

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Now that's just picky

9. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

It´s a really philosophical question Thor. (hehehehe, but I don´t think I wanna discus it)

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Me neither. It seems pointless discussing when morning turns into afternoon when the TV Guides say morning starts at 6am

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

00:00 is 12am

12:00 is 12pm

Case closed stop talking.
    am i logically sound???

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I don't think there is such a thing as 24:00 but if there was it'd be midnight.

13. Reid Registered Senior Member

Thanks all for your answers, I'm gonna go with that 00:00:00 is 12am

14. Reid Registered Senior Member

I know, I thought it would be more clear for the 12-hour people

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If we're going to be picky, I might point out that it's never what time the clock says. Even if the clock is exactly accurate. Why is this? Because the light from the clockface has to reach your eyes, and time must pass.

Now that is picky. In the meantime, the picky part of this discussion is much akin to when a decade, century, or millennium starts.

For the record, the discussion is generally correct.

• 2359 (11.59 pm)
    • 0000 (12.00 am)
    • 1200 (12.00 pm)

Lastly, how many time zones rove? It's always fun to call the time when it kicks over. My brother and I used to love the 1.59 to 1.00 and the 1.59 to 3.00 bit. Our mom made us stop calling when they started charging for the time.

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I could be pickier and go into the whole 'But the day isn't 24hrs, it's a bit longer due to the fact that each year is 365 1/4 days' thing.

But no.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Tiassa,

If you want to get picky, you're not even perceiving the now. It takes a split second for your brain to acquire and process sensory information. By the time your brain has it figured out what's really happening, it's been over over for a microsecond or two.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Aaargh!

Should I be so picky?

Actually, and this is getting frustrating because I can't find it. I learned that the length of a day is actually just under 24 hours. But the strangest thing is that no matter how many variations on "how long is a day?" or various scattered search terms won't spit that number out of Google. Great, I now know where to look if I want to calculate the period between sunrise and sunset, but the actual length of the day that we multiply 365 times in order to get a year ...? Apparently, I've forgotten how to use a search engine. Someone just smack me.

(Where the fuck is that number? It used to be printed on the inside of Pee-Chees, textbooks, highlighted in color tables ... I'm even flipping through two astronomy books I kept after I dropped out of college. I know the number is in there somewhere, but what the hell is up?)

At any rate, I'll stop being picky since I can't seem to come up with one of the supposedly most easily-referenced numbers in the world.

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Is there a law about not finding something when you want to? Something akin to Murphy's law? If not, there should be. I notice it all the time. Speaking of which, I've also noticed a tendency for falling objects to always end up in the least likely (or expected) place. You always have to go searching for it. I've always termed it the Law of Falling Objects, but it would be interesting to know if there is a real term.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i say pm, it follows on from 11pm

21. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

i say it is 12:00 midnight, not PM or AM

22. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

YOU people are all living in the past...
    get with it.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

If midnight is am, then noon is pm? By the 24 hour clock it is obvious that it is am. There is no 24:00. It's 00:00. It doesn't matter, except it does. If people were allowed to arbitrarily label midnight as 12 pm while others used am, it could cause confusion. In most cases, the confusion wouldn't be that big a deal. But there are some cases where it is important to be clear. That's why it's a standard.