Iraq The Problem At Hand(War)

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Bobby Lee, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

Hello

It has become evident that the longer America waits for international appoval for a campaigne the further they are getting from getting it!

Stop the wool gathering and do the deal!!

Dont ask, dont gather!! Just do it and let the world find out on the news. Anymore of the "Trying to get the worlds appoval" is a disaster in itself.....

*****ASA...............GO!!

bob

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

I see you've been smoking too much Cheney lately... maybe you shouldn't do drugs, hon!

Until anybody can provide any sort of proof that Saddam is even thinking of thinking of thinking of building weapons of any sort, I don't think anybody's gonna move a muscle.

Actually, last time I checked, people'd proven otherwise.

Saddam is just a frustrated mole that doesn't want to do anything for fear he will lose his life.

But with the way things are going, he might change his mind because he'll be afraid for his life even without making weapons of massdest.

Nukes for Israel, anybody?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Iraq The Problem At Hand - After

The U.S. certainly would not require military forces from our allies to handily defeat the Iraqi military. The question is, "what about afterwards?"

America would absolutely require assistance from other nations of the world to administer governmental change, improve/build infrastructure... The cost alone would be a burden that I would not want to see us shoulder alone. And America has a history of bailing out when the cost becomes too great - would this be the right thing to do?

Peace.

• -- King Boudewijn I, King of Belgium (1934-1993)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John MacNeil Registered Senior Member

If the U.S. would quit doing evil deeds all the time and began working within the framework of the UN they would probably obviate a lot of the hatred that keeps the cycle of violence perpetuating. When the world community organization that the UN should be is observed to be implementing policies that are based on what is best for the majority of the citizens of the world, as opposed to the narrow interests of the corporate/nationalist coalitions, then of course the violence will drop off precipitately as people watch to see if progressive policies are implemented with sincerity. Nobody but an evil person would rather live in a violent society than a peaceful one.

Former President Jimmy Carter has a pertinent essay on the topic of war/Iraq on this morning's edition of www.commondreams.org .

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The battle lines are forming along ancient alliances. Notably, the Arab nations did not declare unity behind bin Laden nor Yasser Arafat, who were figures behind hostile acts. Saddam Hussein, on the other hand, has made tentative advances to meet U.N. demands. Bush's arbitrary decision to get rid of a head of state he doesn't like and finish his father's war is the battle the Arabs have chosen to fight as a unity. (Let me add to this that I am still not convinced that Osama bin Laden was behind the 9/11 attacks, it is for another thread, though)

ARABS DECLARE UNITY BEHIND IRAQ

CAIRO, Egypt, Sept. 5 — Arab states resolved Thursday to stand together against any U.S. attack on Iraq, declaring that U.S. threats to Baghdad were threats against the whole Arab world. Although some of the states have pressed Baghdad to resume dialogue on weapons inspections, the resolution adopted by the Arab League after two days of talks in Cairo made no direct mention of inspectors. The expression of Arab solidarity came a day after President Bush began a campaign to rally the congressional support to remove Saddam Hussein from power.

THE RESOLUTION was a diplomatic victory for Baghdad, which has been looking for international support against the possibility of a U.S. attack to oust Saddam.

The Arab League’s secretary-general, Amr Moussa, said at a news conference that taking military action against Iraq would “open the gates of hell in the Middle East.”

League members registered their “total rejection of the threat of aggression on Arab nations, especially Iraq, reaffirming that these threats and any threat to the security and safety of any Arab country are considered a threat to Arab national security.”

Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri applauded the resolution, telling reporters that all the Arab governments had expressed their “total rejection of the aggressive intentions of the United States.”

The Bush administration says Saddam must go because of his alleged drive to develop weapons of mass destruction and that it is considering military action against Iraq.

The U.N.-Iraq dialogue has been deadlocked over the issue of the weapons inspectors, who must confirm whether Baghdad has eliminated its weapons programs before economic sanctions can be lifted. Iraq has prevented the inspectors from entering the country for nearly four years.

Iraq says it is ready to discuss a resumption of inspections, but only in talks that would also deal with ending the sanctions and restoring the government’s sovereignty in northern and southern Iraq.

The United Nations has said the return of inspectors must be the priority.

Arab League spokesman Hisham Youssef said the inspections issue was indirectly mentioned in the final communiqué when it referred to the need for full implementation of the U.N. resolutions.

Youssef said the league believes Iraq is working toward the resumption of inspections but that Baghdad wants the United Nations to address concerns that the inspectors could act as spies and that the inspections might never end.

©2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

9. spookz Banned Banned

remember the last one?

"President Bush says that the terrorists’ motives were because they “hate freedom.” There are several more plausible answers, key factors behind anti-American rage, a significant one being the sanctions against Iraq.

On August 6, 1990, immediately prior to the “Persian Gulf War,” the United Nations levied sanctions against Iraq in response to Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait. In the ensuing eleven years, the sanctions have not changed. Over one million Iraqis lie dead as a direct result of the sanctions, over half of them children, and over four million Iraqis have fled the country in hope of a better life. Quality of life has plummeted; the economy is in shambles, disease and malnutrition are commonplace, and even potable water has become scarce. Yet Saddam Hussein remains dictator. My aim in this article is to debunk the most common myths surrounding the Iraqi sanctions."

http://www.peacemagazine.org/0201/lindemyer.htm

Gulf War News
    by James Olsson

A quiet, blissful, cheery morn,
    In Baghdad's downtown square,
    Six children play a game of tag,
    And laughter fills the air.

But air-raid sirens start to wail,
    And bombers soon appear,
    The panicked children flee their games,
    And seek a shelter near.

The pom-pom guns begin to smack,
    At angry allied planes,
    And T.V. crews have noses pressed,
    Against their window panes.

A pilot then is heard to say,
    "I've dropped a bit too low,
    My bombs fell short and hit a house,
    I'll give her one more go."

The house in which the children ran,
    Was simply blown to sticks,
    But death-count cameras have it live,
    They've upped the tally six!

"So stay in touch with 'War Watch News,'
    (The highest rated show),
    For all the gory details which,
    You've every right to know."

"And with us now from Baghdad live,
    Is correspondent Jones,
    Who's covered all the major wars,
    Since apes were throwing stones."

"So Jonesy can you fill us in,
    About the errant arm,
    That blew a city house apart,
    And caused six children harm?"

"Well, Peter, first, the death count should,
    Be simply held at five,
    There's one who's sort of twitching yet,
    He may be still alive."

"The bomb was just a standard one,
    It weighed 500 pound,
    A bomber pilot dropped it when,
    He was too near the ground."

"The target was a missile truck,
    A decoy made of wood,
    The house was just across the street,
    From where the mockup stood."

"O.K., the sixth one's dead I think,
    His eyes have finally rolled,
    His pulse is gone and breathing's stopped,
    And, yes, he's growing cold.'

"Well there you have it from the Gulf,
    That's news up to the hour,
    So stay tuned now for a report,
    On Allied bomber power."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the warriors amongst us, a must read (good luck)

papa bush's war

desert storm casualties

friendly fire or dont shoot your brother in arms

clinton strikes in desert fox

clinton strikes in desert fox 2

Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Scare Tactic duJour: Saddam's Gonna Get Nukes!

What we all have been expecting for months now. All the warnings from allies, all the talk about international opposition, the quaint references to alliances and coalitions, were totally irrelevant from the start, and somehow we all knew that.
    The nerve of this guy, Saddam !

Doesn't he remember how we invaded Pakistan when they acquired nuclear weapons? Oh we gave them a hiding they're not likely to forget. I was glued to the TV set for days watching our heroes bomb them back to the stone age. We had to occupy them for years but it was worth it. Before that we punished India for acquiring atomic weaponry. Thrashed them to within a inch of their next lives. They couldn't swear off nuclear weapons fast enough.

Who could forget, going back still further, how we reamed Israel for developing nuclear bombs? They squealed like stuck pigs but the moral clarity and superiority of US arms forced them to cough up their nukes and swear never to threaten their neighbors with nuclear weapons again in the famous Treaty of Jaffa.

Doesn't Saddam understand that he faces an adversary that has never stood still for other countries dabbling with the destructive force of the atom, and that we always invade to stop nuke weapons programs, no matter the cost? How can he think that he will escape punishment where so many have been caught and paid for their mistakes? Even if he has no nuclear weapons program as such, it's clear he's been thinking about it. Else why would people in our government say he is a threat? He's just inches away from killing us all - a fool could see that.

It should be obvious to all that only the United States of America can responsibly contemplate the extermination of the human species in a spasm of radioactive fire.

Peace.

11. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Bush Says Post-Saddam Iraq Not U.S. Job

OK, after we win the war, then what?
    So, we’ll act unilaterally, but expect The World to clean up after us?
    <center>

</center>
    If it isn't now obvious to even the most casual observer of history that U.S. aggression is about oil, then America is truly lost. It’s not about terrorism, it's all about oil, and it has always been about oil.

And, on a side note from the same article:
    So when it comes to health and safety issues or environmental concerns, the administration needs sound science and absolute proof before taking remedial actions. However, when it comes to killing people, we can do it on a hunch…

Peace.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Of Course! The US Army invades, ravages the Land and the people, messes them up big time and than the rest of the world may do the rebuilding. It figures.

Is it not the exactly same thing with Afghanistan now? After 9/11 the US invaded there and now the country is left to itself. No help whatsoever. It is a big mess there. Poor people. Where is the aid which was promised to them?

The US has a new toy, Iraq, to play the whole game anew. Regardless of what you people may think, it is rather ridiculous that the rest of the world should take care of the mess the US leaves behind in a country, after their "righteous" actions.

So, the US is god and "does the action" and the rest of the world may clean up afterward.

Yes, sure!

Of course it is about oil and all other benefits the bush administration wants to get out of it.

The intentions are dubious, to say at the least.

As is the so called evidence for MD devices in Iraq.

At some point this has to go so wrong for bush and associates, it can be no other...

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

14. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

Smoking To Much?

Im not sure who it is that wrote under my last post here. Not to seem defensive, but I dont smoke Dope or Do Drugs!! I dont even drink.

I still stand behind what I said.......

On to other things........

Banshee, how have you been? It been a longtime!

Bobby James Lee

Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Hey Bobby Lee.

Good to see you on the boards again.

16. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

Re: Smoking To Much?

We all know you smoke Cheney... yeah...

How much dumber can you get? Cheney is not a drug, he's a veep, and I was fuggin' joking!

typical over-the-top conservative... why can't this one be more like Star?

Oh, and Mr. Lee who learned to kill with a bow and arrow from an indigenous tribe of the Amazon, who is a wonderful man-god, who is the world's strogest man as well as the world's smartest man, it would seem that you forgot to actually respond to people's posts beside mine... DUH! Generally this indicates that you've caved in. If you haven't replied to the topic at all since a few new arguments were posted a while ago, it can be assumed that a. you forgot about the topic, b. you are on vacation or have left the forums for good (if you haven't made any posts in some time), or c. that you're avoiding the topic for obvious reasons...

17. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

Well, I was just making a comment.

I only come here once every several months.

If you didnt get it, I dont care what you think?

BJL

18. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

In that case, why make an idiotic-sounding response to a joke post? Why not make responses to the posts in this thread of political substance? DUH!