Iran's Nuclear Program May Have Military Dimensions

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Aug 28, 2009.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

What? No! What? Really? Well, I'll be. Surely no one predicted this at any time. :shrug:

Remains to be seen if this is ratified, or true, and if the UN simply backs off from suddenly being under the angry eye of Tehran.

And I know we all don't like that nasty, nassstty Haaretz (depending on what it says, of course

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

), gollum gollum, sooo:

http://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/Iran-IAEA-Issues

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

This is disingenuous. 'Military dimensions' is not the same as "may be working towards acquiring a nuclear weapons capability". It is the same as "may produce materials that could be useful if the country were to decide to acquire nuclear weapons."

I have several items in my condition that have "life threatening possibilities" that does not mean that I "am working towards killing several of my neighours and some of the more annoying family members".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Iran could hit Israel with conventional missiles they already posses. Even Dimona which would irradiate a large circumference of people in Israel

Why haven't they?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

This is true, but they're purportedly also looking at re-entry vehicle engineering according to the link. Assuming this is all true, it would be a grim coincidence.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Because they don't have them thus far. Also, why play a card that might gain you more by sitting in your hand as a threat, let alone risk the Israeli response? North Korea hasn't nuked the south either.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They already have conventional missiles which can hit Israel.

The Shahab for example.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Perhaps their ambitions are greater still than Israel. Or perhaps its not that Israel would be an immediate target, but that MIRVs could be used as a stick to threaten the region and beyond.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Because of their expansionist regime which occupies and settles Persians only in other lands?

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Haw! So international political pressure can only be exerted via settlers? Please explain.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Which country has Iran attacked in the last 100 years?

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So the only way that political pressure can be exerted is via open military conflict? (And never you mind that weapons pipeline to Shi'ite terrorists in Iraq, now.) Or settling? How many countries has North Korea attacked in the last 50 years?

I'm giddy with delight waiting for you to explain.

15. draqon Banned Banned

yeah sure ... and Iraq may have had WMD dimensions. But it all was a dope.

16. draqon Banned Banned

Their (Iranian) rocket telemetry is way beyond un-sophisticated. I doubt the rocket can get far with a useless guidance. What they need for this Shahab rocket to really work is more satellites of their own to direct it.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

True indeed. I'd be interested in some further confirmation, although the IAEA is a bit more independent than the CIA.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You tell me, you're the one who doesn't care that Israel has nuclear weapons even though its a European settler colonial state that did not sign the NPT and was established with military force in the Middle East where it continues to expand and wipe out civilians while at war with all its neighbors due to military incursions, but is peeing in his pants because the Iranians who have signed the NPT are developing nuclear energy.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Then their purported space program makes perfect sense....except that they seem to want the satellites to re-enter the atmosphere.

Sheesh. What's that about?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.

)

20. draqon Banned Banned

its about bogus claims by Iran, thats what.

If they really want Shahab to work they start making satellites that do not re-enter into atmosphere immediately upon exiting.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Blah blah. Again: how is it that a nation-state only exerts political pressure via settling or military action?

And possibly nuclear weapons. You think this deserves no further investigation, I take it.

22. draqon Banned Banned

And USA is possibly producing SoylentGreen from every dead citizen and selling it as PowerBars.

You think this deserves no further investigation, I take it.

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Of course it does. That's why we have a UN-mandated agency investigating Soylent Green powerbars, draqon.