Iran plus 10 reactors?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by fedr808, Nov 30, 2009.

1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Iran just announced plans to build ten more nuclear reactors.

Granted they originally wanted to produce 6,000 kilowatt hours by 2010, but each reactor produces 1000, and they already have one,

so that means 6 reactors are actively making electricity..... what may I ask would the other five be doing?

Granted I suppose they could be capitalizing on the draining oil reserves and planning to sell electricity to their neighbors... but considering the distances, it would be a tiny income compared to the overrall cost of the reactor.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast...d (RSS: World)&utm_content=Google Feedfetcher

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. otheadp Banned Banned

A few thoughts... can't organize them all into a coherent paragraph because it's Monday and I'm underslept:

1) oh shit!
    2) if they succeed, it will be pretty hard if not impossible to stop Iran with force
    3) Iran has more tricks up its sleeve and options to combat Western efforts than previously thought. These date eating rug salesmen are pretty cleaver.
    4) French FM called this proclamation as childish -- I agree
    5) Nevertheless, childish or not, it is scary!
    6) Is it really feasible for Iran to produce these plants? they've had a pretty hard time producing one (two) working plants. But 10?

They have to
    (a) master the technology, which is something they haven't quite been able to do yet,
    (b) get the materials and special equipment which they have partially succeeded in a limited way... but to get enough for 10 plants, that's extremely ambitious... especially since western and sunni spies will try to sabotage it in every step of the way
    (c) deal with Russia and China, their protectors in the UNSC, who won't be happy at all about this and will no longer provide [as much?] cover and support for Iran

This is a major escalation. Maybe overplayed. However, the west was probably well aware of Iranian intentions to do this ahead of the public declaration, and went ahead with Iranian censure in spite of it. I wonder why.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. countezero Registered Senior Member

It's obvious the notion that they are developing a weapons program is all a lie fabricated by Western imperialists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kurros Registered Senior Member

Regardless of hidden agendas, building a bunch of nuclear reactors in a short amount of time when you don't have much experience with the things has to be a dangerous move. Radiation spewing all over the place seems quite likely...

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Their type three+ nuclear reactors, I think they just build the plants, but they buy the actual reactor.

More than likely this is a bluff, I do not think Iran could afford to construct 11 total nuclear reactors, construct enough enrichment facilities, buy the manpower, and buy the uranium.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Gee whiz!! Cannot you read - or do you just not understand the TREMENDOUS difference between reactors and enrichment plants?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

11. kurros Registered Senior Member

Well that is somewhat safer then.

Touché.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh I bet they do. Sanctions are always around the corner after all.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They wouldn't be if they agreed to reasonable checks on attaining nuclear weapons.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

16. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What better advice to follow then your own.

17. kurros Registered Senior Member

Isn't it a sin to cast stones?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bite your tongue, I'm pure as the undriven snow.

Not if its a really really big one.

19. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Oh yes our our pure little angel come to pass judgment on those who sully themselves with sin.

20. kurros Registered Senior Member

Haha, glad we cleared that up.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm not kidding, that what it says in the Talmud

The rabbinic law for the procedure is to push the victim off a mound twice the height of a man (so he’d have a chance to die from the fall). Then a large stone is dropped on the heart, presumably to bring a quicker death (Sanhedrin 6:4)

You can see the application in real life. If Iran drops a really really big stone on Israel, they'll accept it as G-d's judgment.

22. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I would call that pwnage

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

He'd have to really weak to die from a 12 foot fall anyway