Iran lies, lies and more lies

Discussion in 'World Events' started by cosmictraveler, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

True, but not by army in battle with one more than twice as large, not counting the reserves. If they were called up, Genghis Khan would have been outnumber 5 to 1. So he attacked small villages on the periphery. Quoting from your link:

" His strategy was to frighten townspeople into surrendering without battle, benefiting his own troops, whose lives he valued. Those frightened into surrender were spared violence. Those who resisted were slaughtered as an example for others, which sent many fleeing and spreading panic from the first towns to the city of Bukhara. People in Bukhara opened the city's gates to the Mongols and surrendered. Genghis Khan told them that they, the common people, were not at fault, that high-ranking people among them had committed great sins that inspired God to send him and his army as punishment."

I think there is a lesson here: With Iranian /Persians: Trade (Honey) works better than the sword to get what you want. The US could "conquer" Iran with trade or destroy it with bombs, but would be defeated if invading - I. e. not be able to sustain the cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's more of an object lesson.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

8. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

sure

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

your initial claim was that Iran wouldn't have any checks on the use of nuclear weapons. you made a hardline absolute statement
    operative language here is any which when modified a nagative like can't creates an absolute negative. this statement is unambigious that you meant there are no checks.
    this is how you have been characterizing your claim since. you'll note the use of word some a non absolute term as opposed to the original negative any further weakened with the use of the qualifier may. this is a far weaker than your other comment. your implication that disagrement with your iintial more stringint comment is equal to your new much weaker position.

i did. I felt it was with out merit. i felt and still feel your making assumptions based out of prejudice and ignoring facts to suit your argument.
    that is not an accurate representation of either state. even after the islamic revolution Iran has had a pragmatic streak. they are willing to stand up for them selves against the years of aggression against them and to risks to protect there interests. they have not taken steps that would result in serious harm to the Iranian nation and its people. while modern Israelis do have some in common the Sicarii were esentially a suicide cult. while netanyahu may be willing to play that game i doubt the Israeli public at large is willing to go down that path.
    that is not the issue. the issue is your belief that they would do so in the face of a genocidial level nuclear retalitory strike. and there is zero evidence to suggest Iran would launch an offensive nuclear strike against Israel. what the Iranians mean is the installation of a new government.
    your making an all together specious argument. you trying to say me and tiassa are claiming we should assume the best of everybody because there human and any less is bigotry ignoring your argument was predicated on the belief that Iranian leadership is some so consumed by blind religious fevor and hate that they are incapable of normal human thought about considering the consequences. your making a false equivelence.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Rather, that was a suspicion. You carefully avoided quoting the next two sentences:

This is not an effective defense of your claim that criticizing the possible nuclear policy of a theocracy constitutes "bigotry". Please demonstrate your evidence.

Your feelings do not constitute an argument as such.

This has nothing at all to do with critiques of totalitarian Iranian domestic policy on basis of religious principles. Unless you feel that such actions are 'pragmatic' and in some way 'standing up for themselves against years of aggression', it has nothing to do with this discussion.

You underscore my own point here: the Israeli people don't have their fingers on the nuke button either, except in a remote way at election time. So too the Iranian people.

That is not the issue. We may be in position to prevent another autocracy from gaining nuclear weapons. Few would hesitate to deny this power to, say, North Korea, if they had that choice. But in the case of Iran, it suddenly becomes a special issues of bigotry. Is your objection to my criticism that they are theists, or that they are a specific kind of theist?

Tiassa was trying to make out that objections to an Iranian nuclear weapons program was somehow a bigoted argument against the character of the average Iranian. (When an average Iranian makes it onto the Shura Council, or occupies the seat of the Ayatollah, please let me know.) That is a false equivocation. Tiassa's stance on human beings from Iran - his words, there - is taking up exactly that kind of argument: not that one should assume the best, but that one should assume the same. In fact, that is neither here nor there. Average Iranians do not control the nuclear weapons of Iran. I forget your line, exactly.

Ah, no. Firstly: the Iranian leadership is indeed, to all appearance, consumed by religious fervour. I garner this in the constant conformist religious pressure being exercised against the Iranian people. I presented no case that they were so blind that they were incapable of normal thought - that is your straw man, based in no argument of mine.

What you and Tiassa seem to fail to grasp is that MAD is a concept alone: there is no guarantee of its mutuality except by the parameters of each scenario involving nuclear weapons usage. A surprise strike might, for instance, both devastate Israel and cripple their defenses. I doubt that Iran would simply lash out, but they certainly appear to have some interest in the destruction of Israel and so their desire to do so must be acknowledged in context of ability at all times.

Presently, they have no such ability. Why do you react so strongly at the suggestion that it should stay that way?

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If Iran were to strike Israel and somehow disable its nuclear capacity, the danger for Iran would be that the US would step in and strike back. It would be an insane move for Iran to launch a nuclear attack on Israel. As I understand it, your argument amounts to "but theocrats are insane, so watch out!" I'm not so sure that Iran's theocrats aren't people of Iran too, at least some of the time.

Have you noticed that big states generally don't attack each other directly these days? Wars tend to be by proxy. MAD has a lot to do with that.

12. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Why cant people learn to invest in space for resources and for new homes...why fight for small pieces of land? When is humanity going to grow up...No wonder aliens are keeping aside from us, they are waiting to see what choice we will make for ourselves. Lies by Israel about peaceful co-existince while it destroys Palestinian people and talks about stopping Iran from creating a defense against Israel ( a nuclear nation ). Why is UN so unipolar and biased in its double standards views? When will people of Earth going to respect each others resources and rights? When will one nation like USA stop pushing its agendas under constant lies... Enough

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I've noticed these things. The counter to that is the inevitable temptation that nukes aren't solely political weapons. No one, ever is going to use one? (I discount the American using them on the Japanese here as it was a first-time thing.) I'm sure Iran's theocrats surely are people of Iran, some of the time, but placing them within the vague boundaries of the human race isn't reason enough to disclude the possibility of a first strike. Would the American step in and strike back? I don't believe the US has a MAD pact with Israel. They're allies, but if Israel were essentially shattered... the solution then is to massacre large numbers of innocent Iranians? That fundamental disjunction between Iran and its leadership must play into such a decision. This too: with Israel destroyed... the raison d'etre of the Israeli lobby suddenly sort of disappears. Eighty years ago, the sudden destruction of Israel would have been seen as quite a good thing in some quarters. Eighty years from now, how will it be seen? A patient long-game might turn the tables on Israel quite easily.

The problem with religious fascists, too, is that unpredictability: you claim it would be an insane thing, and it might be. But so what? Those guided by higher interests such as the will of a god might not see it as quite so mad. I don't make the jump that they're necessarily cynical or non-delusional about their religious views. Simply put, I don't know. That unknown area is concerning.

And let's just stop and step back and think about what you're proposing here: your counter to this is "Iranian theocrats are people too, at least some of the time, so what's the problem with them having nuclear weapons?" Let that simmer a little. I'm very curious about the kind of argumentation going on about this now: would any of you have blandly accepted any Iranian project to develop nuclear weapons, say, six months ago? What has changed in that interim? Have we suddenly decided that nonproliferation was misguided? If not, why not now, in this place?

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm not convinced that the United States would, especially if Iran possessed ICBMs and the price to the US for striking back would be loss of New York City, Washington DC, Chicago and LA, along with dozens of other metropolitan areas. Israel is already so unpopular on the left that I expect that the US might just decide that a military response isn't worth the risk.

Israel's small enough that it might be vulnerable to a first-strike. I believe that all of its missile silos are at Zachariah, west of Jerusalem. Israel only has half a dozen or so major airbases, and it isn't clear that nuclear weapons are stored at all of them.

The third leg of Israel's 'triad' are its three 'Dolphin' class submarines which reportedly are equipped with small numbers of nuclear armed cruise missiles (probably US made tomahawks, equipped with indigenous warheads.) But these boats aren't always at sea and could conceivably be caught with a nuclear strike on Haifa.

I guess that the Iranians would have to assess Israel's ballistic early warning capabilities and whether a few minutes of warning would allow them to launch their Jericho missiles from Zachariah before the base is destroyed.

They might not always be insane (I'm not convinced that ISIS' leadership isn't) but they will almost certainly weight courses of action and their possible outcomes differently than good progressive Western secularists would. The belief that one is performing the will of God can be a powerful intoxicant. The illusion that everyone on Earth shares the same values and the same worldview is a Western conceit.

Once Iran imagines itself untouchable, by raising the cost of opposing them higher than potential adversaries will be willing to bear, I expect that they will imagine that they have greatly expanded freedom of action. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hezbollah raining tens of thousands of rockets down on Israel, or Iran closing the Straits of Hormuz. They will imagine themselves as a regional superpower, or even a global one if they can dominate the world's oil supplies, and they can be expected to behave accordingly.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    GeoffP likes this.
  15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That certainly is possible. How ballsy is Iran likely to get? And who will try to tip their cart? (Well, the Israelis, of course. How far will they tip it?)

Or will Iran then go all introspective and just kind of feel smug? That's another possible outcome for the average garden autocrat.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The Yanks are not the only block at the UN.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

actually Iran is far more vulnerable to a nuclear strike than Israel is. while it might be easier to take out Israel's nuclear capabilities than Iran's the way Iranian cities are built make them extremely vulnerable to a nuclear strike. there are numerous models about the effect of a nuclear exchange between Iran and Israel and they do not paint a pretty picture for Iran. a multi-warhead strike on an Iranian city would kill over 80% of the population according to the models as opposed to somewhere in the ball park of 17-25% for strikes against Israeli cities.

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Maybe. But Iran's a lot bigger and its population is more spread out in provincial cities and rural areas than Israel's. More than half of Israel's population lives in Tel Aviv, Haifa and in their nearby suburbs.

But I wasn't thinking about a 'counter-value' attack designed to cause maximum civilian casualties. I was thinking of a 'counter-force' first-strike, designed to destroy a nuclear armed opponent's ability to launch an effective retaliatory nuclear strike. My worry is that Israel might be vulnerable to a counter-force first strike.

Israel wouldn't even have to really be vulnerable, if Tehran believes they are. If Iran ever became convinced it could pull off such an attack, the chances of them trying it would certainly rise.

That wouldn't be an instance of "theocrats are insane", but rather of them making a cold-blooded rational calculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterforce

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    GeoffP likes this.
  19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Better put than I did. Stealing from your concept, I add: a calculation swayed by philosophical interests.

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

both you and Geoff are ignoring one thing in that prediction. that the worlds nuclear power would never allow a state that launched an offensive nuclear strike to survive. if any nuclear state did so the rest of the nuclear powers would obliterate them. there is no way in hell IRan is going to commit national suicide. your and geoffs argument that they will because well their fundementals everyone knows that means their nuts just doesn't fly. 2 things factor into the decision. can it succeed? which an Iranian first strike might. can we survive the counter attack? and the answer for. the idea that Iran is a very rural country just isn't the case. more spread out yes. but not by as much as you'd think. both you and geoff are making the assumption that the potentional consequences won't factor in to the decision. i don't think either of fully under stand what the toll would be in a nuclear attack against Iran would be like. if Iran were to nuke Israel to take out their nuclear capabilities( which I firmly believe has a zero percent chance of happening unless the geopolitics change drasticily) the resulting counter attack which would end up being focused on major cities. based on models harverd and the university of georgia did assuming strikes on the ten largest cities your looking at over 18 million dead and that's just from the initial blast and short term radiatian. just tehran alone over 7 million would be dead. again I still need something other than anti islamic and anti theist prejudice that would show Iran would risk the death of persian civilization to offensively nuke somebody. the number of people effected negatively long term from the chain of events you two are proposing is well over 100 million. what your saying is you firmly believe Iran would gladly spark of a nuclear holocaust that would ravage humanity on a scale not seen since world war 2. as far as i can tell you guys are basing your beliefs on essentially the idea that the world would ignore an offensive nuclear strike and that's is just not a realistic assumption.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Iran's leaders have often referred to the US as the "great Satan". In return, the US typically views Iran as the centre of Bush's "Axis of Evil". I live in Australia. Viewed from this distance, it seems to me that both of these nations overestimate the evil of the other. Just saying...

22. Bells Staff Member

Iran has never launched an attack on Israel.

And I doubt they ever would bomb such a trading partner. Considering how lax Israel is in cracking down on businesses who trade with Iran (most of Israel's pistachios come from Iran, not to mention marble and cashews, while Israeli companies supply Iran with ships, irrigation pipes and machinery, seeds, and a variety of other things.

Especially with the knowledge that if they do, then they will probably be obliterated.

They may be religious fundamentalist, but they pose less of a risk to regional security than ISIS and other countries on the brink.

Efraim Halevy, who was the former Mossad Chief, ambassador to the EU, and security chief, had this to say about the deal:

"For decades, Iran rejected the international community's demand to hold talks of any kind with respect to its nuclear program," Halevy wrote on Israeli news website Ynet. "The interim agreement reached in Lausanne proves that Tehran capitulated, by agreeing to conduct negotiations about its plans and the nuclear infrastructure it has built up for years, primarily in secret."

Iran and six nations agreed on Thursday to a framework for an agreement that would restrict Tehran's controversial nuclear program in return for sanctions relief. The framework paves the way for a second phase of negotiations that needs to lead to a final agreement by June 30.

Netanyahu harshly criticized the terms of the framework in the wake of Thursday's agreement, arguing the measures currently on the table would not curb Iran's path to nuclear weapons. Netanyahu also demanded that Iran should recognize Israel's right to exist as part of a final deal.

Halevy, whose op-ed was published in English on the site, urged Netanyahu and his government to accept Obama's invitation for a dialogue on the negotiations and contribute to improvements ahead of the June 30 deal. "However, Israel's hasty response -- its total rejection of the memorandum of understanding -- seems to herald the beginning of an Israeli campaign designed to thwart the deal. Scrapping the deal would of course mean scrapping all the understandings already achieved," Halevy argued
    .​

This deal will allow inspectors to see exactly what Iran has been doing and where they are and it has forced them to the negotiation table. This can only be a way to ensure they develop a nuclear bomb later rather than sooner.

And Mossad and Israeli Intelligence agree and have been pushing for a non-military response in defiance of Netanyahu for years now. And they have been cooperating with the US in literally refusing to attack Iran on Netanyahu's orders because they do not believe that Iran is anywhere close to achieving a nuclear weapon. Even back in 2012:

In September 2012, Netanyahu, armed with a cartoon, put it very bluntly at the UN General Assembly:

By next spring, at most by next summer at current enrichment rates, [Iran] will have finished the medium enrichment and move on to the final stage. From there, it’s only a few months, possibly a few weeks before they get enough enriched uranium for the first bomb.

However, as Netanyahu spoke, his military and intelligence services were assessing that Tehran was not enriching uranium to a level beyond that needed for a civil programme. They conclude: “Iran at this stage is not performing the activity necessary to produce weapons.”

With the prime minister trying to block a nuclear agreement between Iran and the 5+1 powers (US, Britain, France, Germany, China, and Russia), the timing of the leak is significant. But it’s only part of a bigger story.

In autumn 2012, the Israeli military and intelligence community were holding Netanyahu back from air strikes on Iran that could have sparked a regional war.

As early as 2010, Netanyahu and the then defence minister of Israel, Ehud Barak, issued orders for the military to be on notice to attack Iran within a few hours. The military’s chief of staff, Lieutenant-General Gabi Ashkenazi, and the head of Mossad, Meir Dagan, both objected.

According to a report by Irael’s Channel Two, Ashkenazi said air strikes would be “a strategic mistake” because of the risk of war, while Dagan said they were “illegal” and called for a decision by the full cabinet decision.

Rather than press a confrontation, Netanyahu withdrew the orders. But he remained defiant: “In the final reckoning, the responsibility lies with the prime minister and as long as I am prime minister, Iran will not have the atomic bomb.”

In the summer of 2012, Netanyahu and Barak then tried once again to lay the foundations for an attack. Despite ongoing nuclear talks between Iran and the 5+1 powers, Tehran was increasing its stock of centrifuges and 20% enriched uranium. The amount was still short of that for further enrichment yielding even one warhead; however, Netanyahu declared that a “red line” had been crossed. Barak reportedly told his US counterpart Leon Panetta that: “If you take military action, we will greatly appreciate it and give you full credit. However, if you fail to act, we will take action.”

Israel’s top military and intelligence staff faced a key decision: accept the air strikes or stand up to the prime minister. Unanimously – from the chief of staff, Benny Gantz, to the air force and army commanders to the head of Mossad – they chose to oppose action.

Barak held a series of meetings with the commanders, but they held firm in their warnings of the consequence of a regional war, even if the initial attack on Iran was successful. Frustrated, the defence minister said the generals had been frightened because of Israel’s far-from-successful conflict with Hezbollah in Lebanon in 2006.

---------------------------------------------------------------

And beyond the discreet US-Israeli co-operation, Tehran was also playing its part in blocking Netanyahu. In summer 2012, it began conversion of much of its 20% uranium into oxide powder, which cannot be further enriched to the 90% level needed for a bomb. Doing so, Iran ensured that its 20% stock remained below 210kg – the amount needed for potential enhancement to one nuclear weapon.

This change in Iran’s strategy – maintained to this day, with more than half of its 20%-enriched uranium converted into oxide powder and some into fuel plates – underpinned the Israeli intelligence assessment that has now been leaked. It undercut any basis for Netanyahu’s claim of an imminent “existential threat” requiring air strikes, even as he so confidently brandished his cartoon in New York.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The irony is that Netanyahu will continue to have more support from many in Congress than from his own officials. His trip to Washington has been criticised by many in Israel as electioneering, coming as it does just ahead of polls for the Knesset on March 17. And Mossad seems to be briefing against Netanyahu still: in February 2015, representatives of Mossad reportedly warned “US senior officials” against any attempt to collapse the nuclear negotiations, for example, through new US sanctions on Tehran.

The article makes for very interesting reading.

Especially the fact that in February of this year, Mossad was warning the US to not allow the negotiations with Iran to collapse.

Perhaps it is time to stop allowing Netanyahu to dictate the conversation in regards to Iran.

23. tali89 Registered Senior Member

Personally, I think there is a certain irony in numerous nations trying to prevent Iran from (supposedly) acquiring nuclear weapons, while they themselves sit on massive stockpiles of nukes. What ever happened to leading by example?