Iran Bans Music

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by (Q), Aug 8, 2010.

1. Emil Valued Senior Member

Maybe comma means something else for you.Is a sequence comma separated.
    Or you confuse "optin" with "option"?

Sex before marriage was not officially banned but could not get a hotel room if you were not married.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bert Registered Member

WHAT???

HOW THE HELL will all these people survive with no music??? :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Ok are you for real or is this candid camera? no I do not know the difference between optin and option.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why do you want to get a hotel room when not married ? (other than the obvious).

Is it easier to get an abortion with a beard? :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Hey, I never heard of Basshunter but I love the other three. Also Drain STH, a Swedish all-female goth band starring Toni Iommi's wife.
    * * * * NOTE FROM A MODERATOR * * *

Q, your discourse on SciForums frequently drops below the level of "discussion" and becomes pure "trolling."

Please get a grip and clean up your act. You're making a fool of yourself. I don't know whom you think you're entertaining with this tiresome repetition.

8. Emil Valued Senior Member

I never thought to associate abortion with beard.
    But if you say ...:scratchin:

9. Bells Staff Member

Wow. I mean WOW!

This would have been an amazing topic of discussion. Unfortunately, you completely misrepresented the actual truth of the matter:

And then we have this little tid bit into the mind of the Khamenie:

So the man isn't a fan of music.

But the real reason they are cracking down on music in public venues and concerts?

And then we also have this:

But then.. Reality:

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Note: he's not worried...but won't give his name.

Driving music underground may well create more music, but doesn't erase the ban. I'll probably backfire, but it illustrates that the fellow is - as everyone knows - a bit of a nut.

When music is outlawed, only outlaws will have music. And they will look like this:

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So sorry you have to fabricate lies to support your emotional outburst, but could you point out exactly where I misrepresented the actual truth of the matter? What was it I said exactly?

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Bullshit. I lived in the CCCP and heard music all the time. Show me where in the Communist Manifesto where music is a bad thing?

13. Bells Staff Member

By trying to make it into something religious, when it is far from it.

You completely misrepresented the actual article in the OP.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Oh, I see, so when we see something that states the obvious like "Islamic" we are to believe it is anything but religious in context?

Yes, you've already made that claim but failed in pointing out exactly what it was I said that misrepresented the article.

So, are you lying, then?

15. Bells Staff Member

Firstly, you posted it in the Religious forum, when it is really a political issue. You then harped on about 'beliefs' and made sure you quoted one line that would make it seem as if it was actually a religious issue. When it is not. It is actually a political issue in Iran.

Could you have been more blatantly obvious?

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ah, so when it says "Islamic" it is political, not religious? LOL!

Of course, nothing "Islamic" is of a religious issue, it's all political. Of course, we now wonder what to call the belief system of Muslims? Isn't it 'Islam'?

Could you have been more blatantly wrong? I don't think so.

Of course, if I ask you if you pulled that one out of your anus, will I get a warning or banned?

17. kmguru Staff Member

De-evolution of a great civilization!

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually, Q has a point here: some conservative interpretations of Islam prohibit music other than vocal. Many Islamic nations have no such restrictions, but there is a religious connection to it. I don't think one could make the claim that Khamenei's ban on music applies only to opposition gatherings and the like, unless the OP article is misquoted:

That does conflict with the later statement that music is "halal"; not my contradiction, so I don't have to explain it. I suggest the Guardian tighten up a bit. I don't think one can ascribe the ban only to public gatherings and dissent, either:

You represented it only as "public venues and concerts" and missed the above, or ignored it.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually, Bells, from one of your sources:

The assault on music is clearly not limited to that in public venues.

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Conservative Christians used to ban music as well.
    Conservative Christians were also against images of Christ (read about Byzantine Iconoclasm).
    Conservative Christians used to wear head and face veils.
    Conservative Christians gave women little legal freedom.
    Conservative Christians killed homosexuals.
    Conservative Christians outlawed all other religion (see Justinian's closure of the last Greek Academies - just prior to the Dark Ages).
    Conservative Christians thought the Bible was the infallible "living" word of God.
    Conservative Christians were anti-Jewish.
    Conservative Christians were against non-Christian performance and non Christian art.

ALL of the worse things about conservative Christianity seems to have been purposely built into Islam. Islam probably arose from a clash between those who supported the Trinity and those who didn't. Muslims seem to be the descendants of those who didn't believe Jesus was a facet of God. This tells us that Islam is probably a branch of Conservative, not Progressive or Gnostic, Christianity. I think they were probably influenced by Byzantine Iconoclasm in the 700s as well - which is yet another form of intolerant Christianity (early Muslim's drew pictures of Mohammad - later Muslims didn't and it somehow became "tradition" that isn't not supposed to happen - Allah all of a sudden didn't like Iconic imagery.... which is just bullocks that ONLY a conservative Christian/Muslim could come up with).

The Ayatollah of Iran is simply overwhelmingly infected with 2000 years of Christian intolerance memes. If anything, feel pity for the people of Iran, they're somewhat infected as well. And the only redeeming factor in Christianity, that of forgiveness, is the one think Islam was purpose built to oppose. So, feel sorry for these guys, Islam is a heavy weight to bare. You don't get to pick your parents ...and very rarely ever their religion.

21. Bells Staff Member

And yet, there is more music coming out of Iran now than before. Which tells you what?

Music can be construed as a political weapon. As the links I have provided state quite clearly, this ban and those before it are political. Yet, you choose to discount the experts in the matter, who know what the situation is like in Iran because of why?

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That the ban hasn't been instituted yet, or isn't working? What does it matter to the poor schmo who gets arrested "fer pluckin' them strings when you done been tole not ter!" He's still fucked either way.

Mmmaybe. But you'll note he made an exception for religious and martial music. That could swing either way. And the nature of his job is religio-political. It's an open field at the moment on cause, but it sounds like both.

Let's review selections from the OP article:

"Values" usually subs in for some kind of religious perspective, unless religious assholes in Iran are drastically different from those over here. "Sacred" is a pop fly, as they say.

:shrug:

Sounds at least as much religious as revolutionary - they do mention "revolutionary" in there, but it sounds religious.

Sorry: which "experts" pronounced it wholly political? And why are you peddling an appeal to authority for them? And how does one separate the religious from the political in Iran anyway? This guy thinks he's fucking Mo. It seems clear he's taking this issue up on an interpretation of Islam. Whether it's the right interpretation is a completely different issue, obviously.

Anyway: major point - I was illustrating that it wasn't public venues only, which wasn't accurately represented in your post, I thought.