Ionization Energy

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by chikis, Feb 8, 2012.

1. chikis Registered Senior Member

I now realise my mistake, you are very correct. Am begining to come to my senses. Initialy whenever the word radi is mentioned, what comes to my mind is nothing but atomic radi. I never knew there are diffrences. I used to think that ionic, vandawal, atomic and convalent and metallic radi are all the same. But in this thread am discussing atomic radi. All the same, I say thank you for the awareness.
    I now accept that atomic radi decreases left to right across a period thus the nobles gases being at the extrem right of each row should have the smallest atomic radi. Thanks am now cleared.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rohIT Registered Senior Member

the thing about noble gases having a larger atomic radius is in our book too. infact, they claimed noble gases have almost twice the radius as the halogen before them. hat i think they mean is that it is that way when you take inter molecular (atomic distance) distance between them... but it still doesnt make sense because they clearly mentioned that the reason for their big size is inter-electron repulsion because there are just "too many" electrons in there and they dont like each others' company much.
    can anyone plz tell me more on this?
    thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I think if you dig into this a little deeper you will begin to understand that the idea of a "radius" comes from the old idea that atoms are little spheres which isn't correct. The shell is a region of probable occupation by the electron, not an actual surface of definitive shape.

Check out the various ways we refer to atomic radius under "Definitions" at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radius

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.