Invasion?!?!?!

Discussion in 'History' started by Preacher_X, Dec 13, 2004.

1. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I'm thinking San Marino, although they did get sort of overrun in WWII.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. oscarmitre Registered Senior Member

Thailand was never colonised by the Europeans. Does that help?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

san marino, thats the one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Both are/were Denmark, am I correct?

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

As far as I am aware, China was not invaded by Ghengis Khan, because China did not exist at that point - it was during the warring states period.

When was the US ever invaded?

9. River Ape Valued Senior Member

By Mexicans. Current/ongoing.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

1812 - U.S Invaded VIA British North America, white house burnt to ground.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

RIGHT!!
    Can't beleive THAT one slipped my mind!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks.

12. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Well, it wasn't burnt to the ground. And wasn't it called the President's House at the time? I remember Alistair Cooke once relating that it became known as the White House because it was whitewashed to disguise the burn marks on the sandstone (not that that makes it true!)

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

"The sky was brilliantly illuminated"

While Gleig's regiment was sacking the city, the remainder of the British force marched into the American capital as night approached:

"... the blazing of houses, ships, and stores, the report of exploding magazines, and the crash of falling roofs informed them, as they proceeded, of what was going forward. You can conceive nothing finer than the sight which met them as they drew near to the town. The sky was brilliantly illuminated by the different conflagrations, and a dark red light was thrown upon the road, sufficient to permit each man to view distinctly his comrade's face.

...When the detachment sent out to destroy Mr. Madison's house entered his dining parlor, they found a dinner table spread and covers laid for forty guests. Several kinds of wine, in handsome cut glass decanters, were cooling on the sideboard; plate holders stood by the fireplace, filled with dishes and plates; knives, forks, and spoons were arranged for immediate use; in short, everything was ready for the entertainment of a ceremonious party. Such were the arrangements in the dining room, whilst in the kitchen were others answerable to them in every respect. Spits, loaded with joints of various sorts, turned before the fire; pots,
    The burned out shell of the
    White House
    saucepans, and other culinary utensils stood upon the grate; and all the other requisites for an elegant and substantial repast were exactly in a state which indicated that they had been lately and precipitately abandoned.

You will readily imagine that these preparations were beheld by a party of hungry soldiers with no indifferent eye. An elegant dinner, even though considerably overdressed, was a luxury to which few of them, at least for some time back, had been accustomed, and which, after the dangers and fatigues of the day, appeared peculiarly inviting. They sat down to it, therefore, not indeed in the most orderly manner, but with countenances which would not have disgraced a party of aldermen at a civic feast, and, having satisfied their appetites with fewer complaints than would have probably escaped their rival gourmands, and partaken pretty freely of the wines, they finished by setting fire to the house which had so liberally entertained them.

...Of the Senate house, the President's palace, the barracks, the dockyard, etc., nothing could be seen except heaps of smoking ruins."

"The British Burn Washington, DC, 1814," EyeWitness to History, eyewitnesstohistory.com (2003).

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

britain, in our early history.
    don't tell me you forgot about them burning down the white house!

oops, post 67 beat me!

15. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

thts kinda a triky argument to get into and u wernt invaded if we made the country lol oh and i think england is gona invade canada and be carful of germany they been silent for to long!

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

America? Sure the British, French, Dutch, and other Europeans colonized it but does that count as 'invasion' if they weren't yet a country?

What about Japan? They have been surrounded, but as far as I know, never succesfully invaded.

17. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I thought Scotland might get a mention in this thread as the only country in Europe never to have been conquered. Invaded, certainly, by Romans, Norsemen, Normans and English, but never successfully subdued. The Romans came closest to conquest, taking over the southern part of the country for a while before retiring behind Hadrian's Wall. They abandoned the task of subduing the northern clans after the battle of Mons Graupius in AD83.

Scotland's decisions to abandon its independence first to England (London) and afterwards to Belgium (Brussels) were by Parliamentary vote.

18. geomancer Registered Senior Member

unconquered nations

Japan was certainly occupied by the USA. Doesn't the bombing of Tokyo with conventional weapons and the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with nuclear weapons count as invasion? With USA troops entering after the surrender? Or do you mean strictly an invasion by troops in land battle?

Whether by force or by choice, Scotland is no longer independent. Are there any countries, now independent, that have always been independent--never occupied, never a colony, never subject to a foreign power?

San Marino was mentioned earlier, but presumably its territory once formed part of the Roman Empire. Even after its establishment as an independent Christian commune, it was occupied for brief periods, including in 1503 by Cesar Borgia and in 1739 by Cardinal Giulio Alberoni.

Any other candidates?

19. Roman Banned Banned

Japan was invaded by mongols.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

There is a difference between invaded and conquered. I think some confusion might have arisen because the difference is not seen.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Strictly speaking Scotland was not invaded by Romans, or Norsemen, since both of these invasions occured before the unification of the Kingdom. Equally, in loosing Northumbria and the Lake District we could certainly say that these parts were conquered.

22. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

The Vatican is not a nation, they do not breed.

Well they are not supposed to

23. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Well, tell that to the thousands of little papists running around the world

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!