Interstellar Communication

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by kmguru, Jul 13, 2001.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

capacitance is measured in farads

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I wasn't disputing that. It is, however, given the symbol C in equations; similar to the way that current in Amperes (A) is given the symbol I in equations.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

YOU GUYS are missing the point...

take our two terminals.. one POS and one NEG...

the field.. between the two terminals will reach 63% in one time constant t of t=cr..

and this is long before the electrons are made to move across the potential.

so how long does it take for the field to reach 1%... even less time..

now 1% is still a field... and it has crossed a distance...

and as far as i know... no one has ever performed an experiment to show that such a field... at say any level... was or is limited to light speed.

it is assumed..

you have assumed it..

and when you do.. you make an ass out of you.... but not me.

-MT

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

First,

If there are electrons moving across my cap, it's arcing and is faulty. Or you've applied too much voltage and exceeded the breakdown voltage of the dielectric.

No, it's not assumed. The electric field is mediated by photons.

8. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

The electric field is mediated by photons..????????????

prove this to me... on what real evidense do you base it?

-MT

.................If there are electrons moving across my cap, it's arcing and is faulty. Or you've applied too much voltage and exceeded the breakdown voltage of the dielectric.................

EXACTLY... nothing actually moves across the capacitor...

not over two inchs... not over 10 billion miles...

a static field.... has no mass... it almost doesnt exist.

all we need to do is move electrons on each side... and without any actual transmission... set up a link between both sides.

an electrical link.

not a magnetic one.. not with photons.. and not with any actuall current flow between the two sides.

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

mosheh
    if i were you i would study a little before i posted

it seems to me that you are trolling and nothing more

10. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

TROLLING YES... like dragging nets on the sea floor...

all i find is cock-roaches.... eater and consumers of filth... and feces.

seriously.. if your sure... show me the evidense.

-MT

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

MT,

Do you accept that electric fields and the electric field component of electromagnetic radiation are the same thing?

12. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

Then it is no longer electro static, therefore you have dE/dt, therefore you have EM radiation, therefore it moves at c. You have a radio, and not a very good one at that.

Read Maxwell's laws, read some circuit theory, learn the assumptions and the limitations.

-Dale

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

the evidence for what

that your idea of a capacitor 100 billion light years in lenght is absurd?

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

15. Light Registered Senior Member

Mosheh, I'm going to attempt to try to explain something to you in a very civil manner. No name-calling, no derogatory statements of any kind. Just a plain and simple explanation.

All of the things we call "laws" and "principles" of science are very well proven. Countless thousands of experiments have been made and all with the same conclusions. These are not things that people simply dreamed up and worked to convince everyone of through some form of trickery or propaganda. They are real - and science requires - no, DEMANDS! - that they be shown to be true before they can ever be accepted.

So the problem here is that you want to dismiss practically all of that and tell us we are wrong to believe it. At the same time, you claim that we accept things blindly without challenging them. Nothing could be any farther from the truth. In fact, we've challenged YOU - repeatedly.

Several people here have tried in a kindly and patient manner to explain to you why your views of electricity/electrostatics and nuclear physics are incorrect. But you refuse their help, instead clinging to ideas that have long been proven to be incorrect. And no, I have neither the time nor interest in finding references for you to show how/when/where that was done. You've been provided several references already and your only response is to reject them with things like, "yeah, yeah, I've seen all that before." So even if I DID provide them for you it would be of no use.

All you need to do is drop your haughty, adversarial attitude and take a long look into proven science - yes, it's been thoroughly proven and there's tons of information available to you - to see the truth and where your mistakes in thinking lie. Simply continuing to push your ideas as they are now does you no good at all.

16. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

yes... and we can also have an electric field.. all by it self... static.. non- changing... that has no magnetic component.

and
    OK EVERYBODY...

what you have to remmeber IS, the guy who started the thread wanted ideas.... new ideas for how we can make interstellar communication possible...

and i gave one....

naturally if we were using rational voltage levels we would know for a fact that each terminal on each of our transmitters would simply be oscillating and all the energy would be bleeding off as electromagnetic waves...

we know this, hence your arguements..

but as part of my proposal for new advanced communication system. i suggest as many others have before me, that when we push our apparatus to the absolute cutting edges of voltage potential... as being equal to natural forces of the cosmos, then we can push or manifest alot of that energy along a line which can be considered the diametrical opposite of an electromagnetic wave... i.e.. and electrostatic connection.

and as all studies on such fields, suggest it can be clearly imagined as one dimensional lines of force... and such would in the proposed communication system would make it reasonable to set up what can be considered actual subspace communication...

of course the means of detecting modulation is still another story...

as any modulation would be miniscule compared to the over all energy in motion at each end.

its just an idea... one that i asked you to smash with good old empirical evidense.. and no one can do it.

therefore.. i say it might be a good idea.. good for something anyway.

-MT

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

Just cut the crap man, the things that U dont know but U are sure about is nothing more than a Ego problem. Show some humility and say that yes we can be wrong and if we are we must find that out.

Before U start blasting me, just ask yourself if that is what U r here for. Instead try ansrin this dude,

How does the electron detect the potential difference on the other side of the charge before the lightning occurs and at what speed.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

what kind of question is this anomalous?
    i will tell you like i told mosheh
    study a little before you post

if you have any serious questions we will try to answer

edit
    better still is to post nonsense like your question in free thoughts

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  19. Light Registered Senior Member

I've no idea what "crap" you're talking about. All I did was present facts and a suggestion - there's no "crap" or ego involved in it, not one bit.

No, I have no intention of blasting you. And absolutely we could be wrong! One scientist, who's name I can never seem to remember, made a statement about a year ago that I completely agree with. it was something to the effect that even though we're pretty sure that gravity exists, it still doesn't mean that things might start falling up tomorrow.

My point is that even though there are some pretty smug scientists in the world (as well as ballplayers, race car drivers, and plain ordinary people), most of us are professional enough to know that science is NOT static nor are all it's conclusions cast in stone. Many things have been revised several times over. That being said, there are still many things - principles - that have not faltered once, no matter how many experiments have been run.

As far as answering his question, that's pretty easy because it been known for a long time and has gone through many experiments to confirm it. The electrons are attracted by positive ions - atoms than have lost one or more electrons and thus have a "surplus" of protons left behind. And the speed has been determined to be 2/3c. That's about 67% the speed of light.

So it does his "theory" no good at all. His idea is completely baseless and won't even stand up to what's taught in simple high school classes.

Not only that, but he continually contradicts himself quite often. In his very last post for example, he still talks about static charges BUT then also talks about energy (presumably electrons) moving. That's two totally different animals - and he doesn't seem to realize that ANY moving charge will radiate electromagnetically - not just "electrically" as he would have it.

I also seriously doubt that he even understands that an ordinary fire (of any type) also emits electromagnetic radiation.

20. Anomalous Banned Banned

Its a question way beyond cereberal capabilities of ordinary humans such as U.

U asked it, I told it, I know now U will definately have a debate on it.

21. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Start with how lightning is formed (Wikipedia) - follow the links that interest you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  22. Anomalous Banned Banned

A greate Article and a greate site.

Its says lightning cannot occur in vaccum, thats a bad news for Interstellar Communication with electric field surge, I wish I am wrong.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

MT, Anom,

I'd just like to point out that much of our "problem" with you gents is that there is a correct usage for the terminology of physics and that you fellows are badly misusing it, leading us to the inescapable conclusion that you have no actual background in physics or electronics.

The problem with this is not that we think we have some monopoly on this kind of knowledge, and accept everything as gospel, but that without understanding at least the fundamentals of what is known (or thought to be known) how can anyone (i.e. you gents) hope to make any rational arguments for what you think about this stuff?

You are both so adamant in your statements regarding lightning, capacitance, the permittivity of vacuum, etc., without, apparently, the faintest clue regarding what you speak of. I think we've all been pretty patient with you in general. Until you start pitying us and calling us fools for using some of the hard won knowledge we may have gained at school or in our occupations.

I know this is similar to Light's previous post, but I just wanted to chime in on this.

Thanks.