Internet Under the Authority of the FCC?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bowser, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So, I just caught wind that Obama is planning to place the internet under the authority of the FCC, the reason being to keep it open and available for all. At first glance, that sounds like a good thing, but when the government starts regulating anything, it tends to go down hill and becomes so controlled that it loses its virtue.

There are those who claim this move will only introduce new taxes, stifle the free market, and eventually limit the content available. What are your thoughts? My personal opinion is that it is fine as it is, and there is no need for government involvement.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015...edented-direct-control-over-internet-changes/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Having the FCC control it makes me nervous, but the current proposals for what that means sound reasonable. And while it is mostly fine, there are some problems that this is meant to address. Throttling and content blocking by ISPs happens, but consumers don't always recognize it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

The FCC has done a fairly good job of regulating EM spectrum in the US, so there is some precedent that it can do a good job without stifling innovations.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.