Internet Sharing Program

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Ronhrin, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronhrin Registered Senior Member

is there any application to share a internet connection with another 2 or more computers and also be abble to choose the protocols to allow and deny from each one of those computers?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well it's depending on your OS, earlier versions of windows will require some software, XP on the otherhand really just requires you to have your CD incase it asks to update a few settings.

It's possible to share NT/2000/XP internet connections, how you connect the machines together is up to you although the likely choice is with a LAN.

If you are using an OS prior to the ones mentioned then you're best checking out www.analogx.com as I believe it's got a few programs that would be of use, a "Proxy" and a "Portmapper".

As for protocols, usually they are assigned as extra drivers to the adapter, in most cases you have TCP/IP as standard and can then overlay IPX over the top if you so wish.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

It's easiest with a router. I link the linksys bfre series, they are easy to use and you can do what you ask with them as far as I know. Port blocking should allow you to control protocol usage.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

you don't say what your OS is, which is the most important part, as Stryder said.
    In OSX and OS9, you go into the "Sharing" Prefs pane, and check "share internet connection FROM: TO:", and then select where the connection comes in (ie, wireless), and where it is shared (ie, ethernet).

XP is similar, though I'm not sure where to turn it on.

In both cases, the built in firewall on the main machine will also limit data to the secondary machines.

Wesmorris is right, though, if you can get a hardware router, it would be the easiest by far. Plug the interent access cable into the router, and the machines intot he router. done and done.
    On most common router models, port blocking can then be set up on the router via a web page interface from any of the machines on your little mini-network.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Since the mention of Routers has popped up, you might like to check this thread out:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=43547

Admittedly it's about Wifi networking, I'm not suggesting that Wifi is what you are after (Although it can be useful if you have friends that come round with a Wifi compatible Laptop since they can connect to your network for LAN gaming etc)

However some of the things I suggest that should be looked for in a Router still apply to ones that use Cables.

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

it doesnt work in windows, i tryed for ages, but it only went poriodically when using a windows host, ur best to get a cheap linux server, it works as a firewall too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.