Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I've had this problem for about 2 years now. Every time I click to connect to the internet I get a box that says I'm not connected. So I have to go to my control panel and manually connect to my wireless to do it. Then it comes up. What could be the problem here? Where would I go to check airplane mode?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What OS? Win 8?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yes..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Click your network icon (lower right corner). A side panel should come out, airplane mode is near the top.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I clicked the Windows icon and I only got this on the side panel:

Owner

Documents

Pictures

Downloads

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ok..so I clicked on the little bar graph icon and I get a window that lists my possible connections and a statement saying I'm connected to the wireless.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No airplane mode?

I get this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Vliegtuigstand = airplane mode

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I don't get any option listed as airplane mode.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Uh, weird.
    Ok, go to your apps.
    Click "PC settings".
    Click "Network".
    Click "Airplane mode"... if available.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

How do I get to "apps"? Is there an icon for it on desktop?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Click Start (lower left corner).
    Click downward pointing arrow (lower left corner).

Are you sure you have win 8?

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I see no "Start" in the lower left corner. Perhaps I don't have win 8? How would I find out?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If you have Window 8 (or 8.1, as I do) you need to drag the pointer off the screen in the lower left to make it appear. It is the little blue rectangle with two crossed dividing lines and available from any page you are on as way to get back to the start menu by a left click on it - A right click there is very useful - get to things like control panel, etc.

When you have the start page array of link on screen, there should be small arrow pointing down below the left most column of start option links. When you click on it the apps appear and in same location there is same arrow now pointing up - think of the start and apps pages as being one above the other with that arrow being a "toggle switch."

I came here as my IE 11 is slow to open and then closes in a second or two and little box appears telling me windows is checking for a solution to the problem (green bar moving to the right, etc.) Soon it tells me that program must close. Anyone else with this problem for last couple of days?

I have not yet figured out how to down load new copy so I have switched back to Chrome as my browser.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  18. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Have you ever seen it displaying a start menu that has "Computer" on the right side list? If so, right click that link ("Computer"), then select "Properties". The system information that appears will tell you the version you have.

If you don't have a start menu at all [have no idea what this traditionally refers to], then you definitely have Windows 8 or 8.1. Have never touched the new Vista myself (inside joke for those familiar with past popular and unpopular versions of windows). Windows 7 on everything here till at least 9 comes out.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I went into properties and check marked a box that said "connect to". I think this solved the problem. Thanks to all. I have Win 7 btw.

20. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Every other version of Windows tends to be unpopular. You've got the "good one" with Win7, and hopefully Microsoft will reveal that they learned their lesson again with Win9. The Chinese government banned Win8 because of spy fears (LOL). Some less wild or conspiracy-oriented reasons here for why it's difficult for some to become attached to it:

Why I Still Use Windows 7 After A Year Of Trying To Like Windows 8

21. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I see no reason to continue to spend money on a broken product.

Use Linux. It's free and not so fucked-up that the developers ignore the RFCs that people who write real operating systems adhere to.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Well it looks like my problem is still here. I rummaged around inside obscure pop-up windows all night last night and couldn't find any settings that changed it.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member