Internal Clock?!

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Avatar, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

i wake up at 10:30 everyday! ahhhh

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mostly Harmless Thrower of Coconuts Registered Senior Member

i wake up 5 min before my alarm, regularily. that is after changing the alarm time too, so not a habit i would think. there are many things that science refuses to confront, things we note in our daily lives, such as this phenomena. another such is one women often remark on, that when they spend time with other women, their menstrual cycles become attuned and conform with each other.

tho the second may well be due to hormones emitted which coodinate the others cycle, why do scientists not ponder on such things. are they so irrelevant?

i have not read any(logical) reasons for the time clock. i suppose
    the men of science would claim its just coincidence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

Perhaps this is what really happend:

You're actually wake several before your "real wake time", but some part of mind still in the "dream land". You open one of your eye, peep on your clock on the wall or table, and think "Oh, it's not the time to wake, yet". And you go back to the dream land.

Finally you peep on the right time you programmed to wake, and big trumpet roar in your head *doood*, and you think "Yep, it's the time!". Then you're completely wake and forgot that you've ever wake several times before.

Tada! Validate this hypothesis with recording camera.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

this is not possible for me, because my alarm "clock" actually is a sterio 3 metres from my bed with no visable clock display (it can't be seen from my position). so it must be smth else

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

See I think if ou put it in your head what time you wake up you usualy can hit the mark. If I know I need to be awake around a certain time then 9.5/10 times I wake myself up.

The thing about waking up at the same time eveyday is simple, humans are good at keeping up routine. But I don't know how we know what time it is.

9. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Reseachers have found that the Super Chiasmatic Nucleus (SCN) is what is genrally responsible for what we call "the biological clock". In rats, if this is lesioned, circadian rhythms are disrupted - the animal would still get enough sleep but would sleep at random times throughout the day/night. Things such as scheduled wheel running get disrupted, along with eating patterns, and hormonal secretion.

The individual neurons of the SCN have synchronized (the primary synchronizer is the rising/setting sun) firings, as if they were tickers on a clock. If these individual neurons are separated and kept alive, they will pulse at regular rates but won't be able to synchronize.

I then guess there is another structure in the brain (maybe in the SCN also) that counts these pulses. This all happens beneath consciousness.

Source: Carlson, Neil R. Physiology of behavior. Allyn and Bacon: Bostion. 297-303.

-Xenu