Intelligence vs Good ole common sense

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Aderyn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

god, didnt even look at the starting date, bloody hell thats old

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nocturnumbra ... Registered Senior Member

IQ tests are miserable. All of the evidence for that we really need is the fact that most Mensa members really aren't all that smart. I mean...yeah, the average actual intelligence of Mensa members is probably a bit higher than the average intelligence of the population, but it won't be as much higher as the IQ test scores will claim.

Actual intelligence isn't all that related to book-smarts. Intelligent people will be much better at acquiring knowledge, but wouldn't necessarily always be as motivated to do so. It also has a pretty strong positive correlation with common sense. I don't know how many people here actually know a lot about IQ tests and Mensa's standards...but it's absurdly easy to get into Mensa. And by "easy", I don't mean that anybody could do it...I mean that the results of most of the tests they administer are inconclusive, rendering them essentially meaningless. So we really can't say that intelligence has a negative correlation with common sense, based on the fact that people in Mensa and otherwise with high IQ scores are "intelligent"...because what Mensa tests for isn't exactly intelligence.

In short...intelligence is synonymous with "sense". Common sense, therefore, basically just means a relatively common level of intelligence. People without common sense are not intelligent. They may be booksmart, or good at solving puzzles...both of which would help boost IQ scores, but neither of these are direct, conclusive indicators of intelligence.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.