Intelligence and loneliness

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by S.A.M., Mar 18, 2010.

1. Yes because the smarter the more dumb your peers seem to you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alberteinsteinx9 Registered Member

Exactly!!! Average people are so stupid and predictable. If someone is making $25k/year, and you ask them if they would like to be making $100k/year, they will say they are not interested. If you ask why, they will give you a reason, before you have even told them anything at all about the job. Even people who are unemployed will do that. In fact, I went to the unemployment office to hang up a flyer in order to hire a couple people, and some stupid woman there told me I could not put it on the bulletin board. People are soooo stupid!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

WTF does that have to do with intelligence?
    The person may have found their "perfect" job and be happy doing what they're doing.
    Not everyone is interested in money for its own sake, especially if it means doing something other than a job they enjoy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Indeed.

If someone came by looking like that offering lots of money -

people would be stupid not take his offer!

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

As each of us reflects the sum of our life experiences, it at times may become more difficult to find persons with whom you can 'interface' intellectually.

Physical and emotional relationships are contingent upon an intellectual interface if they are to endure for any considerable interval, at least in my experience and observations.

I would hypothesize that we are all lonely to some degree, as we arrive and depart this plane as our own experience thereof, whether we die alone or in a mass event, each one is their own experience of the event.

So, in my hypothesis, it is perhaps less dependent on intelligence than it might be on the ability to communicate shared or similar parameters of experience past and aspirations for future experiences desired, that creates this perceived rift of 'loneliness'.

This sensation is purely subjective and we are the authors of our own sense of loneliness, I would suggest.

Though some might perceive a contradiction in my post above, I suggest you contemplate it as a 'circular argument'.

After all......who defines intelligence anyway, and what precisely is it's measure?

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Optimism is your friend Sheher. I think maybe you roll around naked on the floor in front of the fire place with Opt baby . Not that it is bad or anything , Everyone could use a good friend . Yours seems to be a touchy feely one .

I am not lonely sense I found the sci-forum . Now I got nut ball friends just Like Me . Walnuts, Pecans, Brazilians, and I would Never ever leave out the peanut gallery

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

My wife says
    "Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you feel one !"
    At which point I usually get groped.

Which makes me happy.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

You are correct in observing that I am a tactile person, who needs to feel connected to my immediate surrounds, Me.

Also that I am a generally positive and optimistic person....spot on.

Surprises of the unpleasant sort can throw me into brief spats of frustration and negativity, but I soon enough get angry at myself for wasting time and energy. After the minor melt-down, it's time to tackle the real problem.

There certainly are an interesting variety of perspectives to be found at the forum. Rolling around naked in front of the fireplace.....never would have occurred to me......might be interesting, lol......

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Of course we are. Homo sapiens is a pack-social species like gorillas and wolves. Our instincts have evolved to feel secure in a small extended-family group of people whom we have depended on and cared for since birth.

The history of our species has been our determination to transcend nature. For millions of years we've been transcending the external nature of the natural universe.
    • We invented the technology of stone tools to make hunting more productive, allowing us to become omnivores instead of herbivores, with the extra protein in our diet allowing our brains to grow larger.
    • We invented the technology of clothing to give us access to colder hunting ranges where the prey are larger and have more fat.
    • We invented the technology of boats to travel longer distances.
    • We invented the technology of language to give us an advantage in planning our work and passing on our knowledge to those who come after us.
    • We invented the technology of controlled fire, allowing us to extract the nutrients from plant tissue and to chew up a day's ration of meat protein in thirty minutes instead of three hours.
    But when we invented the technology of agriculture and underwent the first Paradigm Shift from the Paleolithic Era to the Neolithic Era, we began to transcend our own internal nature.

Agriculture (the twin technologies of farming and animal husbandry) both allowed and required us to stop migrating and settle in permanent villages. It turned out that one extended family is not really enough people to take advantage of the technologies. Division of labor and economy of scale vastly improve the productivity of cultivating plants and herding animals, and this requires more people. So we had to make peace with some of the neighboring tribes and live together in larger villages. This required us to transcend our pack-social instinct, and learn to live in harmony and cooperation with people we didn't know as intimately.

Eventually our villages hooked up into trading networks and grew into cities. At this point we were required to live in harmony and cooperation with total strangers! What an affront to our pack-social instinct! How can we depend on and care for people we don't even know???

But worse yet, this new life reduced our contact with our true pack-mates, our family. Instead of chasing game across the landscape as a family, we were separated, working on teams with strangers or mere acquaintances, doing specific tasks for which we had the knowledge and aptitude.

We are a pack-social species by instinct, but we have chosen to transcend our nature and live as a herd-social species!

This is where the loneliness comes from. We unknowingly signed up for it!

Ironically, we can look to another species for inspiration: our dogs. Dogs domesticated themselves about the same time that we invented agriculture and began living in permanent settlements. Permanent settlements invariably build "middens" (trash dumps), and a few wolves decided they'd rather take the easy life of scavenging from the middens instead of wearing themselves out chasing game--a decision very much like our own choice to settle down.

The difference is that in the 12,000 years since that happened, our species has gone through about 500 generations. That is not nearly enough for random mutations to cause a major evolution in our instincts. Each of us is still a caveman deep down inside. But for dogs, that's more than 20,000 generations! They actually have evolved, and are now classified as a separate subspecies of wolf, Canis lupus familiaris. Wolves are pack-social, but dogs are much more herd-social. They don't just tolerate strangers; they welcome them and invite them to play. They don't fight over pack leadership, limiting the size of their packs to less than ten like wolves; feral dog packs number in the dozens and welcome new recruits. Most importantly, they don't even have a strong attachment to their own species. They accept humans, cats, monkeys, parrots, horses, and almost any animal that is too big to eat and too slow-moving to mistake for a frisbee, as a pack mate. They even happily defer to the pack leadership of a biped who miraculously drags home a dead cow every month.

Dogs are not lonely, because they love everybody. The only dogs who are lonely are the poor sad souls who are locked up alone every day, which is a reason why you should have more than one dog if you're not home a lot. (Or else buy one of our Lhasa Apsos, who are more cat-like and don't mind being alone.)

So have faith. Eventually our species will undergo the same transformation. We'll transcend our pack-social instinct so that our psychology aligns with the world we've built for ourselves.

In the meantime, you could always get a few dogs, then you'd never be lonely. We have nine.

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

The smarter you are the better the excuses are . People will even believe the excuses . Got ya. Me dog ate Me home work only gets you so far in life

14. wellwisher Banned Banned

The human personality, like any animal personality, is based on personality firmware wired within the brain. These firmware define the behavioral propensities of a given species. What we call human nature is the sum of the human brain firmware.

The human nature firmware is common to all humans at birth. They begin empty at birth, and will progress toward a neural framework, collecting data as it evolves. The data collected makes us unique, due to our unique place and in space and time, while the framework overlaps this unique data unique with that which all humans share in common; human nature.

An analogy is the heart grows from a simple beginning, into its final shape as a fist sized pump. Picture firmware growing into a wiring shape, but with the individual input data, that is each person collects, sort of adding leaves to this growing tree of human nature. The final overall shape is common to all, but the leaves of each person's tree are unique to each person.

One grouping of firmware is based on relationship. Relationship for humans, is not just human relationship, but it is also about object and idea relationships. The teenage male may love his sports car, boat or computer, like a girlfriend. He may even call it she. This firmware grouping is about relationship in all its forms, since human tends to combine all of them; marriage, house, dreams, philosophy, friends, etc.

Sometimes a very intelligent person will collect a higher ratio of data based on idea and concept relationships, such as Einstein and relativity. There are ther who are very material and overly object related. Since the firmware is growing like a tree toward a final shape, many years of data collection centered on concepts and ideas can make human relationship data out of balance. This might create loneliness within the human nature firmware since it needs more data for another branch to balance.

15. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

An interesting post examining our origins as an extended family species now in transition to becoming a herd social species, Fraggle.

My thought is that it is the very diversity and uniqueness of individual experience that contributes, in part, to the feeling of loneliness, because certain experiences cannot be adequately conveyed by mere words or images.....they must actually be lived.

As example, those who have seen, and survived, active combat are in a completely different category of experience than persons who have not gone through this. Intellectually, we can comprehend, to some degree, how horrible some of this must be, we can sympathize yet we cannot truly empathize.

Even in regards to more positive experiences, it can be difficult to share information where others do not have parameters to dock the information. I do not bother to talk about racing in the Yukon Quest very often, even though the experience was one of the defining points in my life, because persons who do not have knowledge of sled dogs, wilderness terrain and extremely cold temperatures cannot relate. To them it is just an interesting story, yet we cannot really connect over it. I'd rather invest my time in living more stories rather than retelling them to those who cannot benefit on all levels from my investment of energy in the retelling.

I interact with people all the time, yet in another sense, I am a loner, for there are few who have shared similar experiences. From this perspective, I sense that other people too might have that sense of being surrounded by people, but still so alone.

At the height of my racing endeavors, I had 38 sled dogs. They were my working partners. I really couldn't do justice to a pet dog. Dogs, in their own way, are more needy than horses and I enjoy the one on one interaction that one achieves with a horse. I find horses to be on a different level of intuitiveness than dogs, and I have had some wonderful dogs. Midnight was my lead dog for three Yukon Quests. He was an animal of incredible character. I'd be hard pressed to find another dog with that much personality.......too big of paws to fill.....

16. Vulgaris Registered Member

I don't know if you can generalize on this subject really. Especially because we cannot even know if its the 'intelligence' (whatever that is) or some other capacity (or lack of same) in these people that drives them towards a more lonely life.

It's easy to suggest, though, that intelligent people may think more about the possible consequences of whatever action they take, and therefore to a greater extent avoids taking that action. On the other hand, an intelligent person would also be able to see the probable insignificance of the consequence, and therefore more often decide to take action..

.. maybe there just is not general answer.

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

You make a good point, Vulgaris, particularly when the term 'intelligence' can be interpreted so broadly.

Perhaps we tend to generalize as an effort toward bridging the gap between experiences that we may have in common with another and those that are unique to the individual.

As you suggest, there are many reasons that a person may be lonely, and intelligent. In some cases they may elect to isolate themselves, and in others it may be the broader group that chooses not to associate with an individual.

People are strange critters and the majority of them choose to stick with the familiar. When one is just a little different, one may be viewed as exotic, exciting or eccentric. Once one crosses a certain line or degree of difference, the 'herd mentality' wants nothing to do with you.

Ever wonder how many intelligent people are 'playing dumb' so as not to be ostracized by the crowd? Or how many introverts make the effort to at least appear extroverted in order to facilitate access to the advantages offered by society, though this may be quite exhausting and difficult for them?

Or that loneliness is a subjective state?

".....surrounded by people, and oh, so alone....."

A phrase from a song I wrote when I was away at high school, 1000 miles from home.

18. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

there two kinds of intelligence, the social intelligence, a socially intelligent person is very social, and know exactly how to treat everyone and go on the line with him and etc.. and have full understanding of people, that you can understand their personality and etc.. who can talk well and convince people with stuff, that are all defined according to the life experience
    and there's the books and science stuff intelligence, a person who can analyze and orgenize he's informations that he know to reach facts, understand things faster, and etc... but that doesnt mean to understand what people around him means so fast, i mean, in the social meaning, i think that is also defined according to the social life experience that allow you to learn from everything that you face and put it in your social "data base"
    the both are intillegence, but each one is like, concentrated in a domaine, one concentrated it in he's social life, and another in he's books.

The capacity of lolyness is not really decided by intelligence, maybe it is, but, some intelligent people, books intelligence, can have a larger loliness capacity because they don't have a good social life experience, so they choose to stay confortebal and calm alone or with people that he is very used on, it's due to the lack of social experience
    however, socially intelligent people, can't really have a capacity of loliness, i mean, alot of it, since they are used on hanging out and having fun with people, not alone

both are intelligent, let's say these both people have the same intelligence level, so, intelligence isnt what decide the capacity of loliness

maybe it does, but, it doesnt work alone to do that, it depends on that person's social life, social experience, the kind of inetrests, for example some people love, i mean, completly in love with video games and computer, so they stay at home more time, to pass hours and hours playing video games and surving the net, and etc...

19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

There is alone, and then there is lonely.

Lonely does not require isolation.

One can experience the sensation of being lonely even in a crowd, when the input of your senses and the data you have stored in your brain/mind, find no easy place to interface with these same concepts in others.

Even as we often have no choice in the experiences that may occur to us, it may not be a conscious choice to be 'lonely'.

I spend considerable time alone, but not lonely, as I interface well with nature, animals and some humans.

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

It can be. But it's also a good test of how well you understand the concepts.
    Besides that, it's kind of fun, explaining things to people.
    I mean...expaining things to a bright ten-year-old is fun too.
    Apropos of vocabulary size, most Americans don't know the past tense of the verb shit.

Shat.

Some other random thought: I don't make sense to myself. Why should I expect myself to make sense to others?

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Therein lies perhaps a portion of what can lead to loneliness, albeit there are some who can connect precisely through the understanding that they do not understand, and be comfortable with that.

It is helpful if one party is not attempting to indoctrinate another into their own brand of lack of comprehension. The common ground of seeking for understanding can forge a strong bond.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dictionary.com says it's either "shit" or "shat." The former is preferred.

23. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I shit corrected