Insomnia

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by superstring01, Oct 25, 2008.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you have the black plague. Seriously. One of the symptoms is insomnia.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

string, in general sleeping pills should only be used for VERY short periods (two days for example) and only for rapid changes to sleeping pattens (for instance if you needed assistance changing from a day sleep cycle to a night one). Most doctors wont perscribe them period here.

The effects are lazy sleep pattens and a less restful sleep (no REM sleep at all), in fact its quite similar to the effects of drinking a bottle of JB before trying to sleep

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

if you say your at risk of anxiaty have you tried dealing with that?
    dizapram can help with anxiaty (as can some SSRI's) and they shouldnt effect sleep quality in the mean time. Futher more there Cognative behavoral theorpy can be a good long term drug free treatment which may well help you sleep.

If the problem is as chronic as your suggesting (that your constantly taking sleeping pills) i suggest you ask your doctor for a referal to a sleep clinic

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

You seem to be someone who likes discipline, as I gathered from your description of your diet. Perhaps this discipline can transfer to other areas of your life as well.

So some suggestions:

Develop a morning and an evening ritual. It is important to begin and to conclude the day. This brings the mind a considerable rest.
    Something you will do the first thing when you wake up - perhaps a bit of yoga or other exercising, or checking out your indoor plants, as long as it is not simply a matter of getting out of bed, getting dressed and having breakfast or household work. And it should be something you enjoy and doesn't take too long.
    Also develop an evening ritual. Try to finish the day: make a plan for the next day, review the current day (in writing). List three good things that you did today, and three bad ones. Figure out how you could improve.

Begin and sonclude your work.
    When you arrive at the workplace, have a short ritual to get you into the mood for working. Go over the plan, prepare the things you need, reflect on the importance of work.
    When the time comes to leave the work place, do so attentively. Clean up your desk, write a review, make a plan for the next day.
    Don't rush home, but use the way home to relax and to stop thinking of work.

Enforce being choosy about what you think about.
    A topic needs to earn (either by importance or insistence) the privilege to be thought about. Explicitly work out some principles for deciding what is worth reflecting on, and how to reflect on it.

I hope this helps.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Indeed. That's in January.

In the meantime, the drug I'm taking (Lunesta) is designed for long term use, so that's really not an issue.

I keep hearing about a light that can be used in the AM to trigger something in the brain. Supposedly it resets the internal clock that regulates your sleep pattern (circadian rhythm).

~String

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

have you tried melatonin?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've heard good things about melatonin. It just didn't seem to work for me. Whats the dosage I should aim for?

10. superstring01 Moderator

<---Don't know. VEry intoxicated right now. Call back later.

~Strin

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

12. superstring01 Moderator

Funny Orly. Very funny.

~String

13. Bluecrux Light Bearer Registered Senior Member

Well , being on drugs is always the wrong way to cure insomnia . I had one or two mild ones once and the next day I felt like I couldn't sleep without them . So I discontinued them immediately , though it took me time to recover from being able to sleep better .

I wonder if you lose your effectivity at work or energy levels due to sleep deprivation ? Or you don't think in that way and let it go .

The most effective method I've found to to counter this problem is
    ( you don't need to be on such pathetic drugs , pathetic in the sense that they make you feel dependent on them ) is some simple pranayams .
    Just wake up early in the morning when the fresh breeze is blowing and lets your lungs dive into all the fresh morning oxygen you can .
    Just do one by one (if you might like to for a change but I say that you give it a try)
    Bhastrika 5 min
    Kapalbhati 5 min
    Anulom Vilom 5 min
    Brahmari 30 rounds , 20 sec each round .

Edit: Yoga is all about simplicity and effectiveness and that's what I like about it . There are some people(no, not pointing at any one of you) who cannot fathom or do not bother to know what tremendous change it can bring in our way of living .

After I did these in order , I felt like my senses calming and when I tried to sleep the following nights, my mind didn't jump onto one thing or the other .
    It just 'SHUTDOWN' on it's own and I had not to do some DEBUGGING to make it go to sleep . = p

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  14. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Insomnia is horrible, isn't it?

String, are you cold enough when you sleep? Sometimes ago I had terrible insomnia. I noticed that since I consumes more garlic. I consumes garlic to keep my body warm against winter (and it works pretty amazing!), but as a consequence, I find it difficult to sleep. Even after I switch my heater off. So what I did is, I eat less garlic and I turn off heater before I sleep, and open my window for about 5 minutes before I went to sleep (so my room is cold/fresh enough). If you have air conditioner, this will be better. But don't put it too low, you might get cold/running nose.

15. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

my mom had a thyroid problem for a long time, even still has the scar from the surgery. I was just a little kid then, but she was really messed up.
    She was gaining and losing weight constantly, it was kind of scary for a 4 year old.

but yeah, just last night I went to bed at 9:30 PM and woke up around 11:45ish, so today I have to do school while running on 2 hours of sleep, and I have swimming class! (that could get scary)

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well you could go silly and attempt to become diabetic.

Namely consume lots of sugary products each day for a month or two, then just stop taking the sugar. You'll body will have adapted to use the Sugar for it's energy rather thanbody fats, and the removal of sugar from your diet at that point will drop your blood sugar levels putting you into a "hibernation" state.

(In some respects you could suggest Diabetic is left over from when we evolved out of an animal state that hibernated)

There is also the potential of "Over Caffination" This means going silly and maxing out on triple expresso's, it will likely put your body into shock, it's obviously not good for the heart in large doses, however it will wear the body out. You might not be able to sleep immediately the first night, however once all that caffeine is out of your system you'll sleep like a log through exhaustion.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Melatonin will work for some and not others. The main reason for this is as a person age's their Pineal Gland (The gland responsible for the creation of Melanin) can crystallize. When this happens it inhibits the production of Melanin, the chemical that is usually formulated by the body into Melatonin (Which can be a source of a persons hair greying).

The Pineal Gland reacts when it's dark to produce Melanin, when it's light however it can be interfered with. It's suggested that certain frequencies of sunlight can penetrate the human body and effect the gland and it's production of melanin. This is especially problematic in the elderly due to the Crystallization of the gland and potentially the gland failing altogether.

I'm sure there was something I read about the Pineal Gland also directly effecting sleeping patterns, the more light or Crystallization present the less uninterrupted sleep a person has, which is why as you get older you should technically be able to sleep less or wakeup at unearthly times.

The usual things are encouraged to sleep:
    Designate a room just for sleep, a Bedroom. Make sure it's very dark and very quiet. This means really thick curtains, removing things that tick or emit glows (like LEDs), while sleeping with a window open might be good if it's hot, it can allow external noises to interrupt. Explicitly no Televisions, Radios or computers. I know some of us might love watching TV in bed or are fed up waking up at 1:30am asleep again on the couch, but those things disrupt what sleep is about in a bedroom.

Make sure your mattress is comfortable, nothing worse than springs flying off at an angle and cutting into your back or causing pains to your ribs.

Sometimes Insomniacs do prefer to sleep in relative discomfort, like on a couch, or even to go so far as laying on the floor. Sleeping rough like this for a long duration will fatigue your body (and technically some can see it as effecting the mind)

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Try supping a pint of Guinness before going to bed if you like it.

It seems to have the magical property that no other beer has of making me sleep like a bairn.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Are you saying I'm too old for the Melatonin to work?:bawl:

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes, the evening ritual must include ejaculation.

Releasing tension from the nervous system and purging erotic imagery from the mind.

21. draqon Banned Banned

to cure insomnia, have two hours devoted to jogging everyday and jog than for two hours non-stop in a park or alongside road, middle pace.

22. draqon Banned Banned

And yes three times a day jack handling works like a charm of a newlywed widow.

23. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

do some exericise 2-3 hours before bed,smoke a big joint..voila.unfortunately i am in the land drugs forgot so i am having problems.