Insanity

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by JLeddon, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Is insanity brought about because of access stress in the mind/body and madness is simply the bodies natural way of coping?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shai Registered Member

How do we go about our lives with so little information about the correct answer?

You tell me. I occasionally think about my death which I openly refuse to consider inevitable. Depressing - I concur. In fact it can be very pressing. You have a certain outlook on life and certain plans for the future etc. The fact that you're going to die makes it that much harder to find a meaning in life. At least to me. For what meaning do I live if my death is inevitable? I often find myself thinking about ways of immortality. On some level, in culture, I want to remain immortal. In that way I rest assured that at least part of myself will forever shape the destiny of things to come. Is it odd to wish for immortality?

Still...

I have trouble finding a single meaning for my life and yet I'm striving to achieve so many goals. I've started calling it, after Orwell's 1984, Reality Control or doublethink.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Shai

Life might or might not end after death. That I don't know. All I know is that you have this time right now. Tomorrow might not come but you won't have to deal with that untill tomorrow.

Even if you where to change all of humanity and be remembered for thousands of years. Humanity one day will stop existing then what?

I really don't think its odd to look for immortality. Humans don't want to die because we realize we are alive. Since we realize we are alive and will die doesn't that make life more precious?

But hey If you really want become an Immortal go learn Daoist, Hindu, Buddhist techniques. Some claim its possible.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KungFuKenobi Registered Member

Lately I've been losing faith in my ability to cope with the tedium and meaninglessness of everyday life. I keep waiting for someone to jump out and go "haha! fooled you! here's your REAL life....."

I get along just fine with everyday people, and can be quite professional, but it's just a fake attitude I put on. I could see it easily become more and more cynical and mocking as the years go by. Deep down I am in agony and dont understand why others aren't afflicted similarly.

I just can't seem to get any satisfaction out of anything that I do. Work, intellectual pursuits, relationships, hobbies. I'm not very social because I honestly have never known anyone that was so fun to hang around with that it makes me want to meet new people.

Oftentimes I just want to stay home and sleep. At least then I am at peace and not thinking about pointless crap.

I understand that it's probably all in my head and just my outlook on life that needs changing, but I just can't seem to shake it. It's not so easy.

As far as immortality, I'm not sure. I don't believe in God, but maybe I should....maybe believing in him could help me cope.

I think I think too much, and I do agree with the original poster that most people are too busy getting the life sucked out of them by television, music, and video games to think about stuff like this.

Why can't I just be more happy (like most other people)?

8. Shai Registered Member

I've for a long time lived under the presumption that my life ends to death. But I have opened my mind to accept new possibilities. I really don't know if life ends to death and might just try those techniques of eastern religions. Nothing to loose, right? But immortality to win

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Rarely can I really "live for the moment". I'm always looking into the future and planning ahead. Sometimes it's a problem but sometimes it helps you through. I think it's just the way I am. I could not possibly find the whole meaning of life from a single moment. I'm far too perfectionist and future oriented. I need calendar for my soul!

Anyway. So, I often have trouble getting satisfaction out of day-to-day life. I'm occasionally depressed by mortality. Philosophical problems of life can be very depressing. Still, I've found a clear direction in my life. I find it very peculiar that despite of my philosophical outlook on life I can get great satisfaction out of superficial details. And generally my goals in life are not that high-minded. I manage even if I'm conscious about the great questions of life.

9. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

Oh PLEASE tell me this is true.

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

its true.

feel better?