Insanity

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by JLeddon, Oct 28, 2002.

1. JLeddon Registered Member

I'm not there yet, but I can see it coming sometime in my life. Maybe I just think too much, but it's hard for me not to think about it.

There are only two things that can happen to my existence, finality or immortality. Not just in this current state (although it might be final at its completion), but overall. The first is extremely depressing to think about and the first is hard to comprehend.

How do we go about our lives with so little information about the correct answer? Obviously, most people are just so distracted with their day-to-day lives that they don't make time to think about it. Some don't understand the question anyway. What about everyone here? Do you just ignore it?

Of course, I can't go crazy just yet... I've got a beautiful little girl to raise first.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

The sane man always thinks he's crazy,
    and the crazy man always thinks he's fine.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

At 21, I presently believe in a creational force (although I don't
    consider myself a religious person at all) and I do think there's
    something after physical death, although I cannot bring forth any
    tangible evidence for your personal scrutiny...

I'm also very much aware of the possibility that it will all end once
    my heart calls it quits, but I'm not worried, as it should be quite
    like sleep minus the dream periods: you won't be aware of any of
    it so don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

ive decided that it should not be something to worry about, because you;ll never be able to think about it. i mean, you can't look back once you're gone...

8. spookz Banned Banned

perhaps there is no correct answer, perhaps there is. it tends to irrelevant if you dont look for one. there is always a possibilty it might come to you. i dont ignore the fact that i dont have answers, i accept it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  9. nobluo Registered Senior Member

i think a dilemma that i find in analyzing the possibility of my immortality or finality is that who knows if and when that final time will come? if and when it does......who knows what will happen and when/how/where???. and because i dont know what will happen, or if and when it will happen, i just go on with my life expecting the best out of life but in preparation for the worst. there are possibilities and there are probabilities.......and then realities. i just concentrate on what IS and then everything else is secondary.

10. Rowen Registered Senior Member

Oblivious

I wonder sometimes if I have lost my mind. Insanity might be incredibly fun to play with and pretend at, but when you actually think you might be insane then the fear takes hold. However, I think my insanity (the "normal" kind...ha) comes in waves, or maybe thats just what I tell myself every night when they come to tighten my straight jacket.

11. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Im totally insane - theres no doubt about it

12. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Nah! I wish all the insane people would realize they are insane.

13. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Is insanity simply a myth? Does Insantiy truley exist or is it simply in indivitual judgment on a way of living/State of Mind. If one could not understand love any other that acts upon him with love would apper to be a lunatic. Or is insanity the mind/boby/spirit (whatever you want) demonstrating how out of balance it is, kind of like when you are sick you vomit. Is it just simply brought on be poor mental/physical/spiritual health?

To concieve the universe with a limited mind, will drive you insane. Don't worry. When you understand you just do. It comes natural with out effort. Experience REALIZATION insteed of rationlaization. If you rationalize your experience it will be acceable mainly to your intellect, while if it is realized it becomes a true understanding that will stick with you. You might become an immortal some day but not yet so live where you are know our you might miss it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  14. spookz Banned Banned

it is very real and could be caused by one or all of the factors you mentioned.
    the trick is not to be lazy when making a diagnosis. one can make a subjective observation and form an opinion on anothers mental state but unless certain guidelines are followed, not much credence will be given to that opinion. insanity is a deviation from the norm.

15. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

How does that reflect true insanity to me it seems just like public opinion.

16. spookz Banned Banned

i am afraid that it is necessary to have a functional civil society. think about the consequences if everybody could make their own value judgements as to what constitutes insanity. the system is far from perfect but.......

17. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

If all people where to independantly find what they believe in and live accordingly to what they believed why would the crutch of insanity be necessary?
    (assuming they where to learn and live an in the spirit of open mindedness)

18. spookz Banned Banned

and does this happen?
    i have ideals too, unfortunately unrealized and on the backburner

19. Lady Banned Banned

Leddon,

Establishing a relationship with God helped me during my break downs. The only one I could talk to who understood me without judging me. But more importantly he has helped me.

20. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Insanity

All Theists who claim to have relationships with God are schizophrenic or they think that their own self is God.

You see, I've talked to "the voice inside me" before. It was me. It has the same voice as do I, the same personality. It's called talking to yourself. Everybody does it. It's just that some idiots say that voice belongs to a higher power.

I talk to myself when I'm bored and there isn't anybody else to talk to. The voice is mine, I call it Mark, it calls me Mark. So am I God? I know I'm not any more a schizo than all those Theistic freaks who think that they talk to God.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

<i>"How do we go about our lives with so little information about the correct answer? Obviously, most people are just so distracted with their day-to-day lives that they don't make time to think about it. Some don't understand the question anyway. What about everyone here? Do you just ignore it? "</i>

Well... You can always take pleasure in knowing that you lived. If death is simply the flatliner of nothingness, then your life is a spike of energy within the void. Lucky you. Imagine the odds.

Death is a gloomy destiny, but will you care when you're gone?

22. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Definition of insanity

...is trying to do the same thing and expecting different results

23. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"If all people where to independantly find what they believe in and live accordingly to what they believed why would the crutch of insanity be necessary?"

My mom was a nurse. She worked at an asylum for a while. There was a man at the asylum who believed it was his duty to let only the "clean" among us survive. If he was allowed to roam free, well, a lot of supposedly dirty people might not be around today, eh?

"(assuming they where to learn and live an in the spirit of open mindedness)"

What in god's name makes you think people do that? People don't want to learn. They want to live in their little rut that makes them feel safe and secure. Thus, drugs such as marijuana are illegal and the government is trying to make salvia illegal, as one example.