info on treadmills

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dsdsds, Jan 5, 2004.

1. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I’m looking for a treadmill. What brands are best/worst? Can anyone direct me to a good consumer ratings site? Thanx.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

If it were me I would go outside and walk/jog/run. With that said... I know nothing about tredmills. I would go into Sears and find the one I like based on looks and features.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I'd rather go outside, too. But, if I had to have a treadmill, I would pick a treadmill that looks uber-fancy, with a bunch of features that you know you'll never use, but want to own so that you can brag when people come over.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

http://www.discount-secrets.com/health/treadmills/consumer-report-treadmill.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/Services/health.html

I like the Life Fitness models that are found in Ballies Gyms around the country. They are also made for consumers but are higher priced than some other cheaper brands BUT last allot longer. It's what you can afford basically, but look for one that has flexibility in the trad part that absorbs your weight and springs up and down as you use it. A 1.5hp or more motor is always a very good feature. A good warranty is something else to look for. The life fitness has all these features but there are others that do as well. You'll have to check around to see which one suits your budget and home. Be sure it will fit correctly or your in for big troubles.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  8. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

I use a Pro Form Xt Crooswalk. Hell i just use it for just to hang clothes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Attributes to consider:

Length of the belt. If you're as young as most of the SciForums crowd you're probably going to want to jog on it, so the belt must be really long to accommodate a running stride. I'm too old and creaky to jog but I walk with long steps and I still need a long belt. Short belts are for people more run-down than me who are just going to walk leisurely.

Maximum incline. I walk uphill in order to get decent aerobics, because I just don't like trying to walk faster. Our treadmill goes up to 15 percent grade. Many go to 12 percent, which is more or less OK. Some only have a maximum of ten percent; you probably won't be happy with that unless you intend to only run.

Programming. Everything has a computer these days and that's not always a good thing. I prefer to adjust the speed and slope as I go. If you work out to music as I do you'll probably want to match your speed to the cadence of each tune and compensate with the incline to maintain the right level of difficulty. Most treadmills have multiple preset programs that I just don't ever use, but you might appreciate them. Check them out because they're all different to a certain extent.

Maximum time. This is a crappy feature to avoid. It's common on institutional models where people are waiting to use the equipment, but they often halt after only 20 minutes, which isn't much of a workout. Make sure you get one that will keep going as long as you do; on some models it's a real pain to reset everything and start over.

Pulse monitor. There are a variety of pulse monitors: ear clips, chest bands, hand grips. I've found hand grips to be the most accurate but they tend to wear out. On the other hand, our 18-year-old Aerobicycle bike has an ear clip that's still intact, but it's always had a tendency to get confused occasionally and give an alarmingly preposterous reading. All exercise equipment has a clock; if you can take your own pulse easily (while you're in motion) you don't really need a pulse monitor.

Emergency stop. They all can be stopped by frantically hitting a rather large button on the console. On some of them the button is in a really awkward spot (for me, anyway) and I often hit it by accident. If you emergency-stop a treadmill, most of them shut down with no restart capability: you lose your clock, settings, and everything. On others the button isn't easy to find in an emergency unless you practice. Many have a dead-man's key that attaches to your waist; if you miss a step and go sailing backwards, your body pulls the key out and the machine stops. I've only wanted to do an emergency stop once in 15 years, and I couldn't find the damn button. But I've accidentally stopped myself rather often. I don't find this feature to be well-engineered.

Belt maintenance. You need to keep the belt lubed because the underside is sliding. Eventually it may wear out. If you're moderately handy with tools you can probably get a new belt for about a hundred bucks and replace it yourself. However, as a reference standard, two of us, using it an average of 2 1/2 hours a week between us, kept the original belt for more than ten years, and by then the mechanicals had also worn out and it wasn't worth repairing.

Walk or run? That's probably the key factor. If you're going to run you need a heavy-duty machine. Walking puts far less wear on it and you can settle for something cheaper. Don't let somebody sell you more machine than you need.

Yes, exercising outdoors is great -- if you live in the woods or near a park, and you're in a place like San Diego where the weather is nearly always decent. Personally I think running on pavement absolutely sucks and it just has to be hard on your body as well. (When you get to be my age you'll wish you'd taken just slightly better care of your body. Trust me!) As for walking outside, you don't cover much ground and you'll soon tire of the twenty block radius around your home or office. I like working out on a treadmill or bike at home with the stereo blasting through the speakers instead of having headphones rubbing up and down on my ears.

10. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Save your money, treadmills are useless.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Why do you say that? My wife and I have been using one for more than ten years and it's done wonders for us. It's great for aerobics. My resting pulse is 60, my lung capacity is incredible, and my legs are really strong. We also have an Aerobicycle and one of those Total Fitness machines that Chuck Norris sells in his infomercials. All of this equipment is remarkably effective and delivers as advertised.

I see people on treadmills that I can tell aren't going to get anything out of the effort because they're not putting anything into it, but that's not the treadmill's fault. You need to get your pulse up into your target zone and keep it there for 20-30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Any way you can do that is fine.

Sure you need other kinds of exercise too to keep yourself flexible and to strengthen your other muscles. I do yoga stretches and a fair amount of non-aerobic but nonetheless hard work. But aerobics really works and a treadmill is as good a way as any to get it if you don't have a life that allows you to go jogging through the Hundred Acre Wood with Pooh and Piglet.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think he means that running is supposed to be done in the open air.

13. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

A treadmill is convenient on days like today:

Text Forecast from Environment Canada
    Montréal: Issued 05:00 AM est Thursday 8 January 2004
    Today .. Sunny. Winds west 20 km/h. High minus 21. Extreme wind chill of minus 38.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

You need wind resistance and open air, to get a real workout. If it's too cold outside then do aerobics, they're better anyway. They is zero reason to ever buy a treadmill.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Balderdash! That's like our doctor telling us we need to exercise for one hour, seven days a week. This is all the time I'm willing to put into it and it seems to be working fine. Not to mention our doctor is 20 years younger than us and she's a bloody wreck from running and bicycling too much. Plantar fascitis, broken clavicles, she's spent more time being a surgery patient than a physician and she's giving us advice? Sometimes I just have to sit her down and remind her which of us is the elder.

I can't do the usual type of aerobics any more than I can jog. I have a back problem and even low impact aggravates it so bad that I can't exercise at all for the next two weeks.

You have to let people make their own compromise between fitness and what they're willing to do. Push them too hard and they'll just shine it on. I stay in fine shape by hiking up a fifteen percent grade on a treadmill at 3 mph and it doesn't make anything hurt.

The sole purpose of life is not to maximize its duration. It really is OK to not wait until you're dead to rest.

By the way, we're looking for a new treadmill ourselves and the Trimline strikes us as the best -- for walking anyway, not running. You want a much softer bed for walking.

Check out Treadmilldoctor.com for good info.

16. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

some people tend to forget about older people. you criticize for using a treadmill. someone i know hates fiber pill commercials because they think people should eat their fiber. but we get older. running outside isn't always a good option for the elderly. they need to properly monitor themselves or it could turn out badly. plus the elements could be dangerous or you just may not live in a good area for outdoor exercise. fiber pills are good for elderly people because you lose your ability to eat mass amounts of fiber as you get older by weakening of teeth and stomach. you too will get old! we all do, if we're lucky.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nothing wrong with using a treadmill for a workout, especially if you can get hold of a programmable one to vary your run, inclines etc.

Don't buy new though. So many people buy exercise equipment at this time of year to shed the Xmas pounds, and never use it. Look for nearly new second hand, and save yourself money, by profiting from other people's unrealised good intentions!

Seriously, take a look in your local 'for sale and wanted' publication, and see what comes up. Most stuff will have hardly been used. I was storing a cross trainer in my home office for my bro' in law, that he'd bought as an Xmas gift, and he couldn't hide it. He got it second hand, and it looked brand new. I'm sure it was, as some of the fixings were still in little plastic bags!

Unfortunately, owning dogs, I am forced to take my morning constitional outdoors, whatever the weather. Which being England, at this time of year, means rain, rather than extreme cold. Now if they made treadmills that could keep up with my Lurchers, I'd have us all exercising in a row, in front of a projection screen of running rabbits.

18. boombox scumbucket Registered Senior Member

Running is the best when its raining. Uber

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Ntohing is wrong with a treadmill. The 'wind resistance' line is garbage. As long as you set the treadmill at a level which is still challenging you will be fine. The only problem is that it can get mighty boring.

20. boombox scumbucket Registered Senior Member

the few times ive used a tredmill ive found that there is no speed fast enough for me... even at the limit i feel like im just jogging...

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They deliberately don't design them to go that fast. For one thing, a runner's stride is much longer so they'd need to make the bed even longer and the machine would have take up even more space. For another, people would screw up and get hurt and their lawyer would tell them to sue the treadmill company. Even at a fast walk, if your foot accidentally comes down on a stationary surface it plays havoc with your balance. It's difficult to grab the handle quickly enough to avoid falling down. At running speed you could get seriously injured.

22. boombox scumbucket Registered Senior Member

i hate that people dont have to take responsibility for them selves. too many lawyers.

so what is the point of using a tredmill if you cant even get a good workout from it? i doubt i could even get my heartrate about 100 on one..