Inflation and curvature

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by prometheus, Jan 6, 2011.

1. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

That is a joke, right? I'm the self-absorbed one? ROTFLMAO

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

OK, let me test my understanding.

SR is math that is used to reconcile the premise that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames. It uses the concept of light cones and Lorentz transformations.

GR is math that is used to describe the gravitational nature of the universe and deals with relativistic issues under the influence of gravity? And that is where time dilation comes into play?

I think that time dilation can be gravitational or due to relative acceleration of objects by outside forces other than gravitation so greater relative acceleration will result in greater time dilation. If so, then gravitational potential is related to GR and not SR; would that be right?

And one more question: If the gravitational potential in GR is the strength of the net gravitational field at a point in space and if an object is in a position where the field has more potential than another point in the field, then the effect on a clock at that high potential point will be that the clock displays time passing at a slower rate than a clock in at a lower gravitational point in the field?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Your comeback was "no, but you are..."? Surely you could have done better than that!

I don't really want to get into a back and forth with you over whether you can spot a fraud or not. If it would make things simpler, I will simply state that he prays on the set of uneducated people minus a person on sciforums called quantum_wave.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

So are you then in the educated group and the set of uneducated includes me? You are just saying that to place yourself in the class of the educated and generalize about a class of less educated for the sake of your ego. Somehow I see that as more self-absorbed than altruistic. Creating straw men at will isn’t a talent, it is a personality flaw.

8. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

This is well put, QW. I've observed Guest for a couple of years now and I'm just not sure he adds any value to this forum. I likened him once to Flava Flav of Public Enemy...doesn't really add anything to the song, just a bunch of "yeah boyyyyyy!" in the background while other people such as Chuck D (or in this case, AlphaNumeric) are doing the actual work.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now I think of him more like the homely overweight girl in college that hates the pretty ones, but sucks up to them so she can tag along to the Frat parties. It's kind of sad, really. Seeing his pain isn't that difficult if you take a moment.

If you think I'm exaggerating, check out his post history. There isn't any Physics or Math discussion, speculative or otherwise. It's all ad hominem attacks with proclamations of how stupid the rest of the world is. That's the only time Guest shows up, when he sees an opportunity to spill something on one of the prettier girls' dresses. I wouldn't be surprised if we found out one day that Guest is a sock puppet for one of the more serious posters here that uses that account as a kind of pressure release valve when he gets the itch to go trolling...

9. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Absolutely - I thought I'd made that fairly clear!

Hell - you've got me though. The real reason I (say I) dislike Magneto_1 is that it gives me the opportunity to call people uneducated. Thinking about it - couldn't I just do that independently of whether I question Magneto_1's motives? Hmmm.... maybe I should re-think my strategy!
    Come on now - don't be so transparent! You've just got your knickers in a twist because of posts like these!

10. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

OK, then a big part of your intention is to stroke your own ego. Fine with me. I'll just leave it there since I don't care what it is in your personal life that makes you need that. Let's move on and leave your motivation open to conjecture.
    Sarcasm is also a sign of personal worth issues if you don't already know that. It is often a way to direct attention back to yourself and is directly associated with being called out on being self-absorbed.

How about just answering my questions about gravitational potential and time dilation and leave the chat for later?

11. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Roger that Dr. Freud - get control of my ego and iron out my self-worth issues. Hold on...??
    Woah, woah, woah! You've just spent the last few posts telling me that I'm all these unpleasant things, and now you're asking for help? I think I've had to tell RJBeery this before: you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you!

12. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

OK, I'm sorry. Feed me.

13. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Ok, fair enough. In general relativity we ... ahh, you almost got me then!

14. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Cute. I don't care if you answer or not. Just thought that the contentious posts between us could be put behind us. Who am I to hold a grudge.

15. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

First of all, you had to go back to the 4th and 5th pages of your posts to dig up anything with "substance"! Secondly, it's interesting that you link ONLY to the post, rather than the post within the thread, so that your "substance" cannot be contextually evaluated.

It also occurs to me that your moniker is clearly a throw-away name. The fact that you're just a trollish alter ego for someone else for whom respect is otherwise important is so obvious to me now. So who are you really, Guest?

EDIT: For some reason the link to see Guests' post history only works temporarily, I guess. If you want to see evidence of his trollish contributions just click on his name, then click "Statistics", then click "Find All Posts By Guest254". GOOD LUCK on finding much worth mentioning. I gave up after the 4th page!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  16. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

A couple of private messages regarding this subject brings up another point. What is the forum policy for sock puppet accounts? Is it acceptable? I'm almost as certain as I can be that Guest254 is a sock puppet but I obviously have no way of checking this. Are such accounts contrary to forum rules? And do moderators have the ability to check IPs in testing for such?

My name is Rhoderick Beery and I don't hide behind anything. My posts, good or bad, will all be claimed by me now and in the future. To do otherwise is cowardice. If you're hiding behind an anonymous avatar, you're ashamed of what you're posting because you're trying to avoid the accountability of it. AlphaNumeric explained to me once that he had concerns of being a target of cranks in real life, and I just don't agree with this. Do you get peer-reviewed papers published with a pseudonym?? If you try to be a prominent figure, becoming a target is part of the game...

17. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Don't worry Mr. Beery, I think there are others who suspect he is a sock and a troll. You are pointing out the obvious. One thing to note is that if it is true, then being a sock and a troll is the way he gets his jollies. No real harm. Let's just hope he stops there. Now I would immediately take that back if he ever gave me a straight answer :fingerscrossed:.

18. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Who do you think he's a sock puppet of? He's been accused of being a sock puppet of me. In fact at one time or another most of the reasonable and educated people in the physics forum have been called a sock puppet of mine. I happen to know who Ben, Prom, Guest and Rpenner are in real life, though I've only met Prom face to face. Guest is not a sock puppet of anyone and I'm sure the IP address log will bear that out.

'Ashamed' is the wrong word. There's a distinction between what people do in their spare time and their jobs. Unfortunately it is easier to track someone down given their name via their employer than it is to get details about them any other way and thus if someone has a beef with you it is more likely to end up involving your employer.

As for your comment about my 'concerns' they aren't "Oh I'm a little paranoid" but rather Terry Giblin started contacting people I know, either family, friends or colleagues, because he had a beef with me. I am not ashamed of what I said about him nor do I think I'm incorrect in my assessment of his physics and maths ability (or rather utter lack of it). But rather than taking it up with me he decided to attempt to bring in unrelated people. If I didn't get on with someone at say my local squash club does that mean said person should contact family and friends? Hardly. Yes, if I punched someone in the face and threatened them then that's a matter for the authorities but simply being rude to someone and not helping feed their delusions isn't grounds for such things. I don't completely hide who I am but that doesn't give someone the right to bother people I know about something between him and myself. It's crossing the line from not liking someone in a 'social' setting (or whatever you'd call a forum) towards harassing them for unjustified reasons. I'm absolutely certain that if I were still doing my PhD Terry would have turned up at my office. He stated as much until I pointed out I'd not been there for many months, having finished last May. Nothing he could say to me face to face couldn't be said via email or PM, the only reasons for turning up at someone's place of work are bad reasons.

Yes, publishing your work makes you a 'target' but for scientific criticism through the proper channels. If someone like Terry disagreed with my assessment of his work and wanted to demonstrate as much then writing and publishing a paper to demonstrate the validity of his claims would be the way to do it. If someone disagrees with my research then they can publish a paper which points out the mistakes. There's plenty of such papers on ArXiv. What you don't see is respected scientist A bothering colleagues of respected scientist B simply because A doesn't like what B says.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Guest254 is obviously a "sock" of someone smart.
    Maybe that's the problem.

20. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

So we're supposed to believe someone with wyddy in their name over someone with a an appropriate name like AlphaNumeric? Either AN is being fooled by someone about Guest or Guest is deep under cover.

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um, did you notice that I put the word "sock" in quote marks?
    This was to indicate that I, personally, have no doubt whatsoever that Guest isn't a sock.
    With regard to site policy, yes socks are frowned upon, and unless there's a good and valid (to the mods) reason for having a sock then it (and the original poster) will be banned (sock - permanently, user - temp). And mods can check IP addresses.

22. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Yikes, how does one delete a sock? And OK, I believe you about Guest. His is a troll though, right,

?

23. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

That's a pretty pompous statement. Doesn't this presume that you only associate yourself with reasonable people, and that the rest of the forum thinks the same?
    You cannot say this with certainty. In fact I'm willing to bet you that you're wrong but I'm not sure how I could be convinced that the testing was unbiased.

The double-standard around here regarding keeping certain identities secret while the cranks' entire lives are held up for display and ridicule is pretty obvious. I've seen posts mentioning just your middle name be erased by the mods, while all the dirty laundry available on the internet regarding Terry Giblin, Robert Lewis Kemp, Walter Wagner, etc is hung on the wall and mocked. Keep in mind that at least Kemp's case, his identity was exposed without his express consent (which I was a part of, but certainly not with the intention of assassinating his character with Google searches).

Regarding the rest of your post, I still disagree. I recall you posting once that you would say things on physforum.com that you would never say on sciforums.com (this implies the propensity for identity separation to me). I also recall you posting that you say things to people on forums that you would never say to their face. In my opinion, these attributes plus trying to hide your true identity lacks integrity, regardless of your education.