Industrial Design

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Porfiry, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Nope. In fact, Macs have *always* used 32-bit processors (ever since '84). I believe the 386 was the first 32-bit x86, with the predecessors being 16-bit.

The Itanium on the x86 side and the G5 on the PowerPC side will both soon bring 64-bit computing to the desktop.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I just did the search "MAC 24Bit", okay so it doesn't come back and say that I'm wrong, but I believe that the info I was in the Early 90's.

24Bit was just more stable than it's newly found (at the time) 32Bit counterpart. Quite simply the extra 8Bit's was more processes and commands that could error. That's why it was seen as a decent Image editing system in comparison to it's over-complexed counterpart.

Of course now adays all the codes have been refined, making them better than they were, but that's progress. Of course if I'm wrong, then it's fair enough. (The only reason I don't think I was, is because of that search lol)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

I had win95 on a Pentium 90 MHz that ran without any trouble or blue screen of death for 3 years. It still runs and being used as the gateway to the internet and some low level games without locking up. I built that from scratch. Then I bought a 550MHz on Win98 that ran without any trouble also for 3 years. Lately, it is having some problems. What I noticed is that there are two many programs registered into the registry. I am in the process of cleaning them out.

Last time Norton ran for Antivirus, it reported 115,000 files in 4150 folders. I wonder if a Mac has the same amout of activity, it will choke too.

My laptop on W2K and another laptop on W98SE, that I use on trips has never locked up. I do run SQL2000 and DB2 on them. So, may be it is the rouge programs people write that cause problems. Any heavy Mac user can comment on this. The grass may look greener at the neighbor's yard....

But, to the topic of the new MAC being cool...it is way too cool...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

OK, you may be partially correct.

The Motorola 68000 processor used in the first Macs was a 32-bit processor. However, apparently <a href="http://www.lowendmac.com/trouble/32bit.shtml">prior</A> to System 7, Macs used 24-bit addressing of memory. That doesn't constrain the CPU itself from processing 32-bits of data. It merely means the addressable memory space is smaller (8MB). However, this is ancient history (early 90s) and appears to have been a limitation of the OS only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.