India's moonshot, why?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/10/22/india.space/

I don't really see why India needs its own moonshot. What's the point? Instead of wasting money and talent on that, why not try to come up with something actually useful for humankind? Like low energy transportation (yes, I know Tata, good direction), killing of the stupid cows bellching climate changing emissions,etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...rping-cows-higher-than-family-car-967995.html

You see that Russians had the technology and still scrapped the idea once the Americans did it. Why waste energy on something almost completely wasteful???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

India just wants to show off that it can do this sort of thing. It gives them global stature of the others who have deployed spacecraft to the moon. It is just for prestige I'd think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Manned space exploration is a waste of money period, the first Moonshot was dick waving, and this is just a late entry to the dickfest.

Simply they are doing it because they can. Perhaps it's to show up George Bush as being an asshole after he promised a US return to the Moon, who knows?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Chandrayan is an unmanned mission

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I have to agree that any moonshot is kind of pointless for India or anyone else. Why? What else are we going to learn? Hey, it's got some level of gravity! We never knew that before! Hey, it's not made of cheese!

India needs to spend its cash elsewhere. Badly.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ah, the term 'Moonshot' (from the OP) is usually used for manned missions, and I'd been reading about India planning one by 2015 given the success of this mission.

I'm all for probes, well done India.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Why? What for? What are we going to learn?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They are planning another probe after this one:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3627922.cms

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

More firing money into space. That could be done a lot easier by just burning it on earth, and with less environmental damage, too.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You mean fund your grants instead?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Just think, 50 years from now, India will be at almost the same point the US was with Skylab.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I hope we'll move a little faster than that

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Er, uh, nooo. I don't know what would make you think that!

Although seriously...come on. It's the moon. We know. What else is there? :shrug:

Tell them to send me the money and I'll burn it on the barbeque. Or just the cheque. Fast, easy, environmentally friendly and at a mere $1,000,000 shipping and handling surcharge for the addition of absolutely no knowledge to the human understanding of the universe, it's a positive steal.

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I understand, India wants to build moon based weapons to aim at china and pakistan. That's cool. Someone should tell them that a weapon in geosynchronus orbit would probably be more effective, if more short-term.

18. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Why send GeoffP the money? I've got 5 kids! Feed the children!

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

yes, so? Does it make it more worthy? How about a project feeding the needy? And before you start to bitch about the American homeless, we don't care for the poor here and that is for another thread anyway....

They should have built a giant pink elephant, if they wanted to impress me...

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Then don't bring it into this thread. It's not like the USA decided to spend it's surplus cash on a Moonshot after providing ubiquitous healthcare and education for all, is it? So don't diss India for doing the same as the USA.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

and the relevance and utility of quoted text?
    i mean the guy says absolutely nothing

see here ....

The remote sensing satellite weighs 1,308 kilograms (2,884 lb) (590 kilograms (1,301 lb) initial orbit mass and 504 kilograms (1,111 lb) dry mass) and carries high resolution remote sensing equipment for visible, near infrared, soft and hard X-ray frequencies. Over a two-year period, it is intended to survey the lunar surface to produce a complete map of its chemical characteristics and 3-dimensional topography. The polar regions are of special interest, as they might contain water ice.

now
    redundant or not?
    more pertinent, ja?

i would advise this syzgysdys tard to use a brain cell or two when opening up threads and stop dumbing down the forum

"moonshot" my goddamn ass

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That was an offensive deffense, because I knew she would mention it.

Why not if it is something bad? And going back to the project, the US was first with the Moonshot, not 6th....

The Indians simply could have googled the results.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Gustav honeybun, you are on my Ignore, just in case you are trying to address me...Don't waste your breath...

A nice goal for the Indians first would be to whipe off cholera and typhoid fever...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008