Indiana Fairgrounds Stage Collapses in Wind, Killing Four

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Indiana death toll rises

A Reuters crawl on the television where I'm at reports a Ball State University Senior has died of injuries sustained in the Indiana fairground stage collapse; death toll stands at six.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Didn't something like that happen a few days ago?

Fairground? What were they waiting to see? Melissa Etheridge? Or Justin Bieber?

No. I think it was Poison's "Fat, Fifty, and Fabulous" tour.

No. Seriously. I heard about this already somehow. Two or three days ago. Isn't this old news by now?

Or have they run out items to run in place of talking about Ron Paul on the news?

Hee hee. I didn't ignore your reply in that thread either, I just figured it would take me a while to get to it, so I haven't attempted anything yet. Mostly cuz I got to gets me out to them fairygrounds to see Toby Keith, he don' ferget boud us in dis here heartlands! WEE HAWW!

BTW, why is this in World Events...

Ahh. Correction, I unknowingly skipped to the last post. So this was the original story. I thought Tiassa's post above me was the first one! No wonder it looked so goldurn funny!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

2 events in the same week ? that is strange . So much for freak accidents

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sugarland

You actually managed to confuse me with those sentences. So I'll try to cover the possible answers.

Sugarland.

Yes, this happened a few days ago. The Ball State student was injured in that collapse. And yesterday we received word of a similar stage collapse at the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium.

I'm not sure who was on deck for the Belgium stage, but it was really weird up here in Seattle because Fleet Foxes were slated for the festival, and started tweeting home immediately, so it was kind of like, "Disaster in Belgium! Fleet Foxes unhurt!"

The death toll in Belgium has risen to five.

(On edit: Ah, I see. Well, that explains why I'm confused, too.)

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I got confused. I mistook Tiassa's post for the original, and first wondered why this was international news, and second why it was just being reported. That is strange. That it is a different event.

Sorry to have sounded so silly previously. I didn't even know what to make of this thing. Not trying to make light of people's tragedies. My apologies.

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Okay, so there IS two apparently. And the thread was started about the first one.. and then there is another.

Umm. I'm just going to leave now, before any more mishaps occur.

10. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

I happened to be at the fair an hour before the collapse, considering that I live only about ten minutes away.

I also got to experience the storm that passed through that night, and to say the least, it was a small storm cell. It lasted probably only about 20 minutes, and the winds were unexceptional.

There was no excuse for the stage collapsing, and yes, a steel structure should be able to withstand what was, at most, sixty mile an hour winds. If a storm like this collapses a stage, then they better start having concerts on wooden platforms because this can repeat over and over again.

11. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

Technically Indianapolis is someplace in the world, so its news can considered acceptable for this section,
    Since all of the endless rows of corn look the same, however, it can be difficult to know exactly where you are in the world.....kind of like snow blindness, but with corn............

12. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You all right . Live long and prospect, You talking to de corn God now . I can eat more corn dan aaeeeeny body . Good to eat before the snow flys cause it is chalk full of good weight producing compounds that fight off de cold . Oh Sweet corn for dinner yum yum . Field Corn !! We no want no Field Corn , Dat be fo da animals

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The last time I saw the actuarial figures, the average American valued his life at seven million dollars. This is not what he tells you if you ask him, but a reduction of all the telltale data about how much life insurance he buys, how long he puts off getting new tires for his car, how small a residence he's willing to live in in order to afford a safer neighborhood, what risks he takes professionally to have a higher-paying job, etc. This was at least ten years ago so it's probably higher now, but probably not double.
    Yes, we see the results of Americans' highly irrational risk analysis and management every day; for example their fear of flying on an airliner but willingness to drive 30mph over the speed limit to catch the flight. The evidence that our people are innumerate is everywhere. Since the start of the Religious Redneck Retard Revival in the late 1970s, Americans have been happily, proudly and aggressively abandoning science, mathematics and sheer reason in favor of feel-good-for-the-moment-fuck-the-future-let-God-worry-about-it childishness. This goes all the way to the top of our society, otherwise how do you explain bankers with MBA's believing their own propaganda about the subprime mortgage Ponzi Scheme?
    Let me see if I understand this: you are criticizing rationality on a science website??? Aren't we supposed to be the lighthouse in this sea of irrationality?
    By your rhetoric, every time you decide to forego an expense because actuarially the cost outweighs the benefits, you're "cutting corners." You don't seem to understand that there is only a finite quantity of resources to allocate among our endeavors and we have to allocate them carefully in order to get the most from them. If we devote all of our labor and spend our entire GDP on an early warning system to alert us to the approach of a Klingon war party--which after all is not impossible--we won't have anything left to keep our farms running and our children will starve.

Life is an endless series of tough decisions. The way to get the most out of life is to approach them rationally rather than emotionally. And this is, theoretically, the reason we have governments.
    You keep approaching accounting from the perspective of a middle-school student. There is not an infinite amount of money to spend, but there are an infinite number of risks.

No one knows this better than us Californians. Nobody we know has earthquake insurance. The reason is that in order for the insurance companies to sell it, they have to be able in good faith to promise to pay the claims for a 9.0 in downtown L.A. or S.F. Do the math and you've got, in round numbers, a $500 monthly premium on the average house. Would you rather accept that risk, or would you rather send your kid to Cal State Dominguez Hills when he's been accepted to Stanford?
    Rationality. Unfortunately it's in short supply. That's why I try so hard to protect it here. We have to start somewhere.
    Bullshit. Risk is risk and analysis is analysis. I realize that it's still 1933 in Australia and your Rooseveltian Era looks like it will never end, but it will.
    Ah yes. A ship is safest when it's in the harbor. Of course if you keep all your ships in the harbor your economy will collapse.
    Hey, I don't mind. I'm not in favor of drug testing at work so I wouldn't really want it in my car. In other words, like most Americans I have made a more-or-less rational decision to accept that risk. We bitch loudly about drunk driving, yet even though we know who all the drunk drivers are and have even ridden with them, we don't actually escalate that bitching to a political campaign.
    Here in Maryland your car has to be inspected every two years and I was once nailed for a $1,500 "repair" because the rubber boots on the inside of my front wheels were smog-damaged and allowed dust to seep into the bearings. I'm sure they'd be happy to include your breathalyzer in that inspection.
    You're bringing in information that the rest of us don't have. The news media told me that it was a hundred-year storm. If what you say is true then Tiassa really is right in calling it "cutting corners." But that's not the story I was given to work with.

14. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

I am not sure the media source you are reading, but I have not heard it described as a hundred year storm, either on CNN or local news. They were reporting a wind gust of 60 MPH took down the stage, which would be an average storm, at best. I doubt it was even that strong.

http://crisisjones.wordpress.com/20...inds-dozen-hurt-at-state-fair-stage-collapse/

When they were first reporting the collapse, the winds were referred to as "normal", as shown above. When the media started to report the event nationally, then descriptions like "massive" and "exceptional" were being used to describe the gust.
    I have noticed this about the media: they will all get there information from the same source, and then add a little twist for effect. When the investigation comes out (the families have already sued) we will see how strong the winds really were that day.
    I can tell you first hand, I was watching the storm with my four year old son from the window of his bedroom because the winds were so soft and there was very little lightning. That is how threatened I felt. It was an average storm at best.

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

caveat emptor you people never learn that ? Besides Houses are a different story . You have recourse if something is wrong with your house and a seller knew about it and did not disclose . That is why there Are disclosure laws . They can screw your life up big time if you are the one getting busted for nondisclosure. You can buy way out of it usually. Not always ! It depends on what happened by the trigger getting pulled . When People die it goes to a new category. You can expect tougher temporary structure building codes out of these events. That will happen . You can count on it . It is about same way we got egress/ ingress bedroom building codes for specific sizes on windows . Yeah more than likely someone died in a fire trying to get out of the house . Children more than likely . Go look at your bedroom widows ? Chances are if it is an older home and the windows have not replace and some that have retrofit style you may not have legal egress windows ( Low-e with argon gas is my suggestion, make sure there is a 1 inch air gap minimum ) So whos fault . The builder that built the house to code back in the day . The owner that sold you the house ? Who ? What if you sell the house are you going to have exposure ?

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

shit man that is just we discussed on this form . How the media hypes the story to make them selves have the appearance of sensationalism as to raise there personal value in there niche industry . You are like my confirmation dude . Problem is the eye witness has lost value them selves in a diplomatic society. How could they when the lie is so much better . Sells better too. To build a ( I want to say hero , but maybe more of a villain up setting the apple cart ) Legend

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011