Inconsistent ban policy?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by funkstar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

My point has been vidicated (more detail here).

Long story short, Joseph Zawodny has made a statement on his personal blog regarding this matter. I've posted portions of it in the post I linked to.

I precisely and explicitly contradicts everything kwhilborn has had to say on the matter.

So now all that's left is a public apology, from kwhilborn, to me.

So let me be very clear here. While I personally find sufficient demonstration that LENR effects warrant further investigation, I remain skeptical. Furthermore, I am unaware of any clear and convincing demonstrations of any viable commercial device producing useful amounts of net energy.​

-Joe Zawodny.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I mean NO disrespect, Trippy - none at all! But what can you expect from a guy who's reading comprehension (and technical knowledge, too, for that matter) is so poor that he misunderstands practically every single thing he reads?

Personally, I think he must have had problems in school and didn't even grasp the very basics of what little science was taught to all kids.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: umop 3pl5dn wl has been permanently banned from sciforums as a sock puppet of a temporarily banned user. That user's ban has been extended.

Any further sock puppets from that user will result in a permanent ban of all his accounts from sciforums.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

That's what I'm talking about: Reiku also created multiple sock puppets, and did not receive the same (reasonable) treatment...

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes he did.

9. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

While he was banned over Christmas, he created several sock puppets (each of which were subsequently banned) but his original ban was not extended. This on top of it certainly not being his first such offense.

That doesn't seem like the same treatment to me.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What outcome would you like to see, funkstar? You seem to be particularly concerned about these posters.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes... I dare say funkstar is acting like he's been personally damaged by me.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Reiku is like a family pet.
    You can't stay mad at him for long.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Reiku. Bad Puppy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  13. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Generally, a more consistent moderation. Now, there was a time when the ban-hammer fell swiftly and without mercy. I don't wish for those times back, but I also think this particular case is too lenient, harmful both to the forum and to the poster.
    I shall not pretend to have his best interest at heart, or even to be disinterested: I should like to see him gone. However, I am also a bit worried that, by allowing him to post in these forums, you may inadvertently be fanning the flames of what could be serious mental illness. Delusions are no laughing matter.

14. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Personally I think he was just VERY excited to have what appeared to be actual evidence that his beliefs (which we have all been telling him over and over that he is wrong about) were in fact true.

It WAS on a NASA site.
    It WAS listed under "FEATURED VIDEOS"
    It DID contain discussions/pictures that did suggest that it could be used to
    power planes, houses etc with no pollution or radioactive waste.
    Like he has been saying.

In fact, I think that it was, considering Zawodny's later statement (that it doesn't actually exist and that he is skeptical of it) to be a HIGHLY misleading video.

In short, I can understand why he would be excited about finding this video on an actual NASA site.

Indeed, according to Zawodny:

So he admits that use of the word DEMONSTRATED did cause the Video to be misunderstood, so I personally wouldn't be so hard on kwilborn for being over excited about what he thought was not only an official vindication of his long held belief, but also a great thing for mankind.

Just sayin.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

I like my jacket, my color

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Which isn't Zawodny's fault, because he did not produce, or direct the video, nor was he given the opportunity to vet it before it was published - the first that he knew of it being published was when people started emailing him about it.

Yes, I'm aware of Zawodny's comments in that regard - I read the post, in full, several times, before I posted it in the LENR thread in GS&T to make sure I had a firm grasp of what was being said.

However.

That does not give kwhilborn the excuse to go around making up what are bordering on bald faced lies about what I have had to say on the matter.

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Well I think you are letting Zawodny off a bit easy:

He wrote: I saw the video before it was released, I did not learn of it’s release .... (self serving excuses follow)

So he KNEW what the video was going to say, before it was released.

Well of course not, but then I couldn't find anyplace where he did that, unless you are referring to this:

I do hope he wasn't banned for that minor bit of hyperbole, as that would seem clearly excessive.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

Kwilborn asked more of a question in that case, rather than an accusation, would you not agree Trippy?

19. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

I see that kwilborn's ban is now out to two weeks.

Kinda proves the title of this thread is true, no?

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

He was banned for spamming, plan and simple.

The repeated assertion that my position implies someone hacked NASA's website, and faked the video is a false dichotomy, it's not the only other option available, which was explained to kwhilborn, and ignored by him (as it turns out, my explanation was the correct one).

And then there's posts such as this, made by kwhilborn using a second sock puppet (Jack T was his first)
    One of 16 posts deleted by James R as 'Spam from a sockpuppet', several of which repeated this assertion, or similar assertions, which look an awful lot like a bald faced lie to me.

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

kwilborn ban was extended for creating two sockpuppets (both of which have been permabanned) to avoid a temporary ban.

Ask Reiku - ordinarily doing this is sufficient to get both the sockpuppet and the original account permabanned, a policy that in and of itself is inline with almost every other online forum I can think of.

22. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Well those two threads that he was posting his excited news in is hardly what most of us would consider spam Trippy.
    He wasn't selling anything, he was just giddy because he appeared to really believe that LENR had been confirmed by NASA.

Which if it had been confirmed would indeed be worth jumping up and down about.

I'm not defending his manner of argument, only that his excitement about what he thought was true, was genuine and that NASA at Langley shares much of the blame for this misconception.

Hmmm?

He said right off that Jack T was his sockpuppet and was posted only in Open Govt to contest his ban, hardly a bannable offense (how else does one contest a ban (which others have done as well) ?)

And these came after his ban for allegedly spamming, so it's arguable that without the ban these sockpuppets wouldn't have happened.

Just sayin.

Are you sure this is actually from him because it certainly doesn't seem like it is written in either his style or manner?

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It was multiple posts, and it was more than two thread.

Which is fine, and I took that into account when I only banned him for 3 days instead of the maximum of 7 that he was eligible for at that time.

A. 5. Banned members who register under a different name will have all identities permanently banned upon discovery. This may result in a temporary ban becoming permanent.​

Source

Yes. I am 100% certain.