In your opinion does the universe exist if there is no self aware energy to percieve

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TimeTraveler, Feb 13, 2007.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Who says observation is restricted to matter? Atoms are not matter but atoms are self aware through organization. Matter is not real, matter is just energy organized in a specific way.

What this means is, observation, and self awareness, may not be limited to living matter.
    You are correct this connect be proven, but artificial intelligence and robotics will eventually reach a singularity point, and we will find out one way or the other.

Secondly, atoms do have some level of awareness, even if it's limited to action and reaction, this awareness allows for atoms to organize into molecular structures that form the human body in the first place. So what we are talking about here is self aware energy being the universe. We are not talking about living matter being the only expression of self awareness or even the first expression of it. We are saying awareness is the universe itself and that before observation existed there was nothing, no big bang, no matter, absolutely no 3d universe because the 3d universe came into existence when the first set of eyes in the universe observed it into existence.

Do you really believe the universe had this dimension before there was self aware energy to percieve it? How exactly could the dimension have been created if there were absolutely no awareness in the universe? The 3rd dimension is an illusion that depends on the existence of awareness on the 2nd dimension and first dimension. The human body is made up of all these dimensions and there is awareness on all levels, your cells are aware, and the atoms that make up your cells are aware. This is not the same thing as alive, because these cells in your body have a very limited awareness. Atoms even more limited, but they are aware enough to organize.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

There is no such thing as a brick if there is no observer to look at it, measure it, calculate it, and interpret the information and give it a definition "brick". The brick only exists because it was observed into existence.

The universe is filled with junk information. Junk information like that brick, which is junk because it is now aware of itself. That which is not aware of itself does not exist. The universe is aware of itself, through us, and the other self aware beings, and it is we who are existence. When the universe ceases being aware of itself, the universe no longer exists.

I don't know how you can argue for the existence of a universe which cannot be observed, yet you don't believe in God. If you believe the universe is beyond definition, and beyond the scope of existence itself, and beyond observation, and is just this thing which exists outside the scope of reality, how is it any different than believing in heaven, or believing in angels? Or believing in God or the Devil? Or believing in Gods? Or believing the universe itself is God and you are some sorta servant?

It's really simple, the universe only exists because of perception/self awareness. Perception created the 3rd dimension, the material universe is not real, it's a trick of perception. If you had the vision of a microscope you'd be able to zoom in and see the real universe. You'd see that the real universe depends more on size than on shape. You'd see that there are particles that can be in two places at once. You'd see that time travel, and quantum entanglement are possible. You'd begin to understand that the 3d exists only due to our perception, and this is proven by the fact that when you zoom out again suddenly everything is solid, but if you zoom in and go small enough everything is liquid, and suddenly you reach a timeless state.

So in reality, if you go small enough, you do reach a timeless non-local state. In that state, there is no beginning or end. The big bang created the 3rd dimension, and the so called laws of physics. But the laws of physics only exist because atoms follow certain rules. When you change the spin of particles it actually causes quantum entanglement so these rules can be changed it seems by very small changes.

The proof backing up my claim can be seen in the two slit paradox.

The next experiment which helps make my case is

Stern and Gerlach's magnets

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/Harrison/SternGerlach/SternGerlach.html

And finally, and actual article which backs up and makes my case for me.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/02/980227055013.htm

That's 3 seperate pieces of scientific evidence based on actual experiments not opinions. These are the facts, and there are more where these came from.

Where are your sources? Where are your facts? What is your evidence? Where are your equations? What is your theory?

If all you can do is look for holes to punch into my theory, that just shows me you disagree with the theory, but if you want to actually debate, it's now your turn to present facts which say the opposite of what my facts just said. If you cannot find any, then you are relying on religion and opinion to make your case instead of science and facts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Ah, Perception is Reality rephrased on a universal scale.

Did the universe exist before any of us living entities were born?

Will the universe continue to exist after every living thing has died?

Is conceit zero-point energy?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I didn't say perception. I said awareness. Your awarness begins the moment that chain of events flips that 'on' switch.

8. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

1. The universe existed, the 3rd dimension did not exist. Particles have awareness of some sort too, on the quantum level, but the material solid 3d universe did not exist before it was observed into existence by an entity. Perhaps the first lifeform that developed eyes, observed this universe into existence as we know it. Perhaps living matter was the first form of matter. Or perhaps life did not start out in matter, but in particles. I cannot claim to know all the possible types of lifeforms in the universe to answer that question but the possibility is that, no, life may not be restricted to matter. Life as we know it is restricted to matter but that is all. Awareness itself on the otherhand may not be a function of matter but a function of electrons, of energy, and electrons might have given us "life" much in the same way that a robot or computer is given it's version of "life". The difference is, we have DNA, and because we have DNA we have free will, because we are self upgrading and self programming. The day when computers can program themselves and upgrade themselves, who's to say they don't be like "fuck those humans, kill them all!", we just don't know.

2. After the universe loses it's self awareness, the universe dies. That's my theory. This means that the universe needs awareness in it to exist. The material universe we are in, needs living matter to exist(life), and maybe the 4th dimension, space/time, needs the living mind to exist. Maybe time is just an illusion of our minds because we grow old and die, maybe time is actually change change, and maybe time is related to size. When something is small enough, you can literally cheat space and communicate mind to mind across infinite distance, basically breaking the speed of light and the rules of the 4th dimension. This is not to mention the possibility of wormholes and time travel, all which are invented by the mind. You see, the mind dominates time just as the electron dominates the brain/body to create the mind, and the electron is just a particle in movement, it's all a process of energy expansion. Matter is a specific expanded form of energy. The mind is also an expanded form of energy. Your body is kinetic energy, and when you talk your energy becomes a wave, and when you create a video your energy becomes light, everything you do influences all sorts of photons, electrons, and other particles to communicate information, so the mind actually dominates time, but it also dominates all the other dimensions, from the 4th, to the 3d, to the 2nd, and 1st. So it's easy to see that if the mind is the controller of the universe, if you remove the awareness from the universe, and all observers, it will basically kill the universe. The universe is only alive because it's aware.

The last question about zero-point energy, I considered that but I would not call it zero point energy. The mind might be another dimension, a sort of expanded matter or it might be how new dimensions are created. Perhaps the processes we go through, applying our collective universal minds, to solve the universe, actually creates the universes dimensions.

Say we were to discover that if you network a million minds together it does represent a new type of energy. This theory is called singularity, and if you do reach a singularity, the speed of technological innovation increases. Let's say another non human species finally figured it out. Let's say an alien species, finally stopped warring with itself, and focused itself 100% on solving the universe and on improving its existence, and lets say this species figured out how to make itself immortal.

Now there are 100 trillion of them, and all of them are as smart as we are, and all of their brains are connected to a quantum computer network. In this situation if you were to think of a problem, the problem could be distributed between all living aliens on the planet who would think collectively solve it within a matter of nano seconds. The quantum computer would be so fast that it would be able to crunch all the numbers, and do all the difficult calculations, allowing each individual alien to simply ask questions, and focus on choosing from a list of answers. In this environment, it would be like being connected to Google all the time, anything you think, you'd get the answer to, any problem would automatically be solved, there would never be a shortage of solutions. There would be free labor because robots would assemble themselves to do all the dirty work.They'd have cracked the code for unlimited energy if unlimited energy exists, and if it does not exist they'd have so much information that they'd have machines so efficient that they would look like lifeforms. These machines would then for example, be spread out into the universe to do specific tasks, and would simply eat themselves in a continuous cycle. They'd get their energy from the sunlight and the stars, and the food cycle would provide a near endless supply of renewable energy.

In that environment, everything these machines do would be monitored by the aliens, every single action, every single calculation, everything. The aliens would also maintain the ability to upload information to their subconcious, if the aliens then decided to spread life throughout the entire universe this way, then you can easily see how life could have spread, and fairly quickly too. Now what happens if something goes wrong? If something goes wrong, the aliens would still have a way to upload information to the subconcious of the living machines. These living machines would have no way to even detect whats going on because they would not know they were machines built by aliens, they'd think they were animals that evolved in some freak accident, or that they evolved from each other somehow.

So in the big cosmic picture, if the singularity does take place eventually technology could reach a state, that the original aliens would evolve beyond the point where they'd need a body at all. Being immortal, at some point they'd crack the code of the 4d itself and move to a timeless formless state. It's simple, if they developed the ability to disassemble themselves into atoms and then back into matter, not only could they collapse themselves into an atom or atoms, but they could also expand themselves to be everywhere at once. All they'd have to do, is figure out how to be two places at once, and that is actually possible on the atomic level, so once again if it is possible to bring awareness up from atomic size to molecular size to build a human or an alien, it may also be possible ot bring awareness back down to atomic size. One example would be nano computers, but assuming an alien technology is billions of years ahead of us, they might have atomic robots for all we know, or even synthetic atoms. When things get small enough, all the rules of physics seem to break. As far as what aliens might be capable of in this universe. If there are aliens in this universe, some of them would be so much more advanced than us that we would not be able to observe them at all, because we'd be like the atom to them, or the electron to them, or some particle, or molecule to them. They on the other hand would be able to observe us in some microscope the same way we observe the quantum world, and if they wanted to interact with us, I'm sure they could simply build machines and upload the information or DNA to those machines to allow them to do it.

The mind is basically infinite power, and if an alien has that power it would explain why the universe is so stable. If we are not the only ones here it could explain why there are any laws at all, but our physicists and scientists when they make calculations do not consider all the possibilities, such as the possibility that there are lifeforms so complex that we might not even be able to recognize it as life. There might be lifeforms that never die, and that don't have to reproduce. There might be lifeforms that exist in unlimited temperatures, such as unbelieveable cold, or unbelieveable heat, or unbelieveable sizes, and have properties which would boggle our mind. So at this point, all I can say is that self awareness is existence, I don't know all the forms that self awareness comes in, because it might have as many forms as there are stars, it might be infinite.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...e: development of perception in ..." #PPA1,M1

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  9. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Awareness, you keep saying this as if you know for sure awareness is physical. We do not know exactly what makes something aware. Insects are aware and they don't have brains, at least not like ours, they have this

It seems the universe itself is aware, how? I don't know. That's the main question.

10. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Thats fantasy and the articles you posted don't support what you are saying (well except the shady line "The two-slit apparatus itself is a paranormal, psychotronic de vice").

That's quite an imagination you have.

Um... because there is evidence of one and not the other?

Sorry, I can't answer your question as I don't 'believe' in anything you listed.

And reality contradicts that claim.

What I see is fantasy... lots of good old fashioned creative fantasy.

In logic, that is called a contradiction.

You actually provided a wealth of evidence (to my surprise) and it didn't support your position in the least... but you did provide evidence... which is the right step towards supporting a position in general. So let me comment upon those three articles.

TWO SLIT PARADOX:

The article did a good job of describing the experiment... and could have done a better job in the interpretation (nothing major though). When you send a single particle through a double slit well you end up with two very real particles which are typically thought to reflect the probabilities of which slit a particle will travel through. The overall energy of the particle is sufficient to allow both of them to exist at the same time (larger particles don't seem to have enough energy to last long enough for an easy detection).

When you shoot a photon at such a particle a collapse occurs and you end up with one particle... thought to be the most probable outcome. More importantly what the photon does is act as a NON-SENTIENT observer that establishes a relationship with the particle that is strong enough to cause the collapse.

STERN AND GERLACH'S MAGNETS:

Outstanding! I am sure there are plenty of applications for filtering particles by spin direction.

QUANTUM THEORY DEMONSTRATED: OBSERVATION AFFECTS REALITY:

A really great article! This was the article that supposedly made your case and I think you missed the most important part (and this message I have been repeating over and over again but now that your article says it maybe it will sink in):

The article also directly supports another assertion I made... that the presence and strength of environmental relationship affects the collapse of superpositions.

That nice little Alarm clock scenario does the trick of showing that you are simply incorrect.

Well if holes are found it sort of means that your theory isn't true.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Is there a such thing as non-phsycial?

We have a pretty good idea that its the brain. How awareness works is the real question.

True

False

True

... 66% truth isn't bad for one sentence I suppose.

Yes they do. Did you know that a cockaroaches brain is an efficient multi-processor (not multi-tasker like humans)? It's quite fascinating.

You're asking questions about fantasy... only you can provide the answer.

12. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

How do you come to the conclusion that the observer in those experiments were not human, when humans conducted all those experiments? It's not like those experiments would have existed had humans not designed all the machines to conduct them.

Even if humans are the indirect observer, humans are the observer. You have to make a case that there is a non human observer, while that is possible, thats even more weird than my theory.

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Aside from the 'key' experiment explicitly stating the observer was not human? Think about the double-slit experiment for a moment. Humans can observe both the superposition and the single particle after the experiment is complete. This means two things. One is that we can observe the results of a sequence of actions that took place in the absence of our watching. If existence was not there when we weren't looking then that sequence of events would not have taken place and there would be no results. Also, and probably more imporatantly, we can observe a superposition without making it collapse (so long as the observational relationship isn't too strong)! Did you know that a Bose-Einstein condensate is a superposition and can be directly observed with very strong observational relationships (instead of the traditionally weak ones)?

Correct and the machines are not sentient.

All I had to do was make the case that there was an observer whose consciousness was turned off. The alarm clock scenario did just that.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Was the maker of the machine sentient? Just because a human uses a machine to do the observation, it does not change the fact that it's a human observation anymore than using a microscope changes that fact.

You might be able to make a weak case that it's an indirect observation, but you have not proved that anything occured independently of observation period. The science proves observation is neccessary, and just because you point out that it does not have to be direct human observation, it does also say that observation is neccessary.

Now, what might be possible is that the electron itself, or the particle itself is self aware, and reacts to the observation by other particles. You have not considered that because you changed the word to sentient which I never used.

Here is some information from a site that interprets the results the exact opposite of how you interpret them.

"Check both slits
    We place extremely sensitive particle detectors behind each slit and then set the emitter to release electrons singly. We wait to observe the simultaneous arrival of two bits of electrons at both particles detectors. And we wait ... and wait ... and wait. But all we ever see is that either one particle detector registers an electron or the other does, but never both simultaneously. Each electron travels through either one slit or the other.

So if it does not traverse both routes, how does the electron 'know' that the other slit is present. Well obviously a thing as simple as an electron can't know anything. And yet knowledge of the existence of a second slit is involved at the deepest level of these series of experiments. Knowledge of possibilities rather than any actual particle trajectory , or other physical event, seems to be determining the properties of material objects. But if the electron has no knowledge of its environment, then the only other place where such knowledge could reside is in the mind of the observer. Therefore the observer's mind is in some way determining the outcome of the observations.

If the experimenter's observational set-up imputes the concept 'wave', then he will see wave-like behaviour. If he imputes the concept 'particle' then he will see particle-like behaviour. Even placing a particle detector behind only one of the slits destroys the interference pattern, because the experimenter has in so doing imputed the concept 'particles' over the electrons despite both slits remaining open and one route being unobstructed. More detailed descriptions of the two-slit paradox are given in The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose [PENROSE 1990b ] and Where Does the Weirdness Go? by David Lindley [LINDLEY 1997a]."

http://home.btconnect.com/scimah/Quantumphenomena.htm

http://www.drury.edu/ess/philsci/bell.html#epistemology

Here is a thesis on the non-locality of the mind.

http://www.scispirit.com/tex/

If this thesis is correct, it ties in with the non-locality of the quantum world.

There is also an another article, Beyond the Point Particle -
    A Wave Structure for the Electron

http://members.tripod.com/mwolff/body_point.html

If N=E, and we know an electron is actually not matter, or even a particle, but a quantum wave, and we know the fuzzy actions of the electron, a lot of things are possible. The concept of mirror neurons suddenly makes a bit more sense if N=E.

In an experiment in quantum entanglement of electrons, this was the result.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20030126213558data_trunc_sys.shtml

This final piece of evidence comes directly from NASA's website where they discuss the observation/observer issue in detail.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/observer.htm

You only made the case that it was not a direct human observation. You did not make the case that conciousness was turned off or not involved. If the act of observation changed something, then either the electron is concious, or the observer is concious, or both. Consider that the human brain's neurons run on electrons as well, and that our conciousness is based on electrons. We have no way to claim the electron itself is not concious on some level, we just don't know. Einstien did not know, people discussing it today do not know, that is why it's a paradox. All we know is that observation influences reality, we do not yet know what conciousness is, and isnt.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry but your 'theory' has not stood up. Turning to Buddhist monk interpretation, pseudoscience, and mixing it with real science while ignoring what you don't want to hear isn't going to change that.

16. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

The interpretation is based on the exact same "science" we are discussing. It's just another theory.

There are many quantum theories out there, and my theory is just one of many. It's not that my theory does not hold up, because my theory is based on the exact same information and observations as all the others, with the only difference being in the conclusion. Until we can test my theory one way or the other, it's still a theory/hypothesis.

You have not proven my theory false just like I have not proven my theory correct. That means it's up to individual interpretation at this point. You have to remember, I'm a philosopher, not a scientist, I blend science and philosophy. I apply scientific method to philosophy. The whole point is to allow for people to interpret the science, and in order to do that you need a framework/context.

17. Gently Passing Registered Senior Member

If you're dying of Alzheimer's disease in a Nursing Home, and people come to change your diaper every couple of hours, but you don't see them, and you think they are your childhood cat, are they really people changing your diaper or are they your childhood cat?

"Well of course they're people!" says one camp, and they're right.

"Well of course it's your cat!" says the other, and they are also right.

Hence the dualistic nature of the universe. Or as I like to call it, Tabby! Get off the bed, damnit!

18. Why? Registered Senior Member

As self-awareness is really just a function of energy, your question should be rephrased as "What does it mean to exist?" It seems to me that existence does not depend on self-awareness, because non-selfaware matter and self-aware matter come from the same pot. Accordingly, existence is what it is, and it is not defined by that matter which happens to be self-aware.

19. IJesusChrist Registered Member

Hi.

Does the universe exist if there is self aware "energy" to percieve it?

20. IJesusChrist Registered Member

Oh, and time traveler...
    Of course observing an electron will change it's course, in order to observe and electron you must physically touch it with something else, an electron or a photon, and register and alayse what's bounced back.
    ... Of course observing it changes it's projectory, you just touched it.

21. SlowDeath Closed eyes but still I see! Registered Senior Member

Matter, energy, space and time, not thought as thought is made of the previously mentioned creations, are all made. Thus forming a reality for ?

The ? is .... I now the suspense is killing you.... Okay the ? is an awareness unit that is aware of being aware. As oppressed to an awareness unit unaware that it is aware.

The awareness unit itself is created, dreamed up, thought up, perceived or whatever adjective you feel comfortable with and is there because of a Static.

A Static is outside basic human perception even though it is what every human IS!

No different really than the fact that a grain of sand exists even though it is unable to perceive it does. Well none that I have spoke to anyway.

A Static possesses characteristics like, it is an individual, not part of a whole. With every life experience it gains more individuality.

Each Static reached agreements with other Statics on the basic, matter, energy, space and time universe we find ourselves in at present.

How did we all agree that there should be bad things on this planet. Well we agreed that unless we experience hot we must experience cold to know there is a difference. It is all relative. We also agreed to dumb up every time we are re-incarnated.

By the time you realize it is all a self agreed, self created game you were living you are re-born again at square one.

The point...Maybe to learn and teach >understanding< thus we will not have to burn our childrens fingers with matches to teach them "HOT".

Hey, lighten up I am just rambling....

22. Reanimation Registered Member

If humans were not here to perceive the universe then it would not exist. There would be nobody here to speak of a universe or think or a universe. We create the universe. When we hear a sound, we know it exists because we can hear it. To a deaf person sound does not exist. If we didn't have brains to think of the universe would it really exist? I believe that everything around us is here because we are here to perceive its existence.

Wow, did not notice how old this thread was.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010