in Taoist mythology

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Malachi, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Malachi Registered Senior Member

has anyone noticed that someone who follows the way goes through four stages:

1> become very wise
    2> gain supernormal powers
    3> become supernatural
    4> become immortal.

is this significant? do other mythologies mirror thisprogression? perhaps the fifth step would be becoming noncorporeal? thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Malachi Registered Senior Member

also, with very few exceptions, at some point, the person has a period of silence and seclusion from others.

I should write a paper on archetypes in taoist mythology.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

It is nearly impossible to find those people, because they do not announce themselves to the world. Once in a while one hears about such a person but it is hard to believe if such is true.

I heard one such case where the person had accent free multi language capability, lived over 300 years, sunlight and fruits served as body's energy needs. Had the ability to self teleport and so on...

Only one item that was of interest to me. He said that after about 140 years, the body transforms to a new level of existence and the skin absorbs sunlight to provide the necessary energy - atleast that is what happened to him.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Malachi Registered Senior Member

was he a taoist?

8. kmguru Staff Member

I have no idea. I have posted the whole story before at sciforums a couple of years ago. His final location when the alleged incident occured was in a forest east of Madhya Pradesh (India) during a geological mapping of the region in early sixties. The person (called the Rishi) had European features but olive skin (Italian type), could speak French, German, Russian, English and several Indian languages without accent.

9. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

KM (my online spiritual advisor - I wish) ...

Can you post a little more info on how you think we might attain such longevity? Maybe a redirection to another thread on the subject ...

Thanks