In E=mc^2, why is the speed of light squared?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by strategicman, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

So why did you bring up index of refraction?

Did you hope someone wouldn't know that the electromagnetic radiation doesn't actually slow down, and that it proves that c isn't a constant?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Are you not aware that there are many circumstances in which the electromagnetic radiation does actually slow down?

I never hope that someone DOES NOT know something. I always hope that everyone knows everything that is true. I really believe that the truth WILL SET YOU FREE.

Whether or not the velocity of light in vacuum is a constant has definitely not been conclusively proven pro or con. It is a definite historical fact that the only conclusive basis at present for calling it a constant is that it has been called a constant.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

This is all bs. Weak Greek Stuff. Maths is b.s is all abstract shit, it was invented by the Greeks so they could talk shit all day.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

But this still doesn't explain to me how electromagnetism can slow down at any point. My explanation was of that "phase delay", but you're talking philosophy.

If you want to get right down to the quantum mechanics of it, well; string theory states that light is a vibration from the 6th dimension. Meaning it's not possible to be slowed down by anything within our four dimensions. I'm open to be rebutted, and change my mind.

8. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

If you really are open to be rebutted then you should have already done your own homework. Take a deep breath and hold it until I do your homework for you.

There is a 150 year history of theory and experiment showing EM slowing down.

String theory is taking its last gasp of breath. Just how much of an expert are you on ST?

9. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

No I was open to be rebutted, not open to go study on my own, because I have already done that and what I've learned contradicts you. So the ball is in your court.

And I've read two books on superstrings, not super-technical, but up to date.

10. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Any information about string theory that is REALLY up to date tells all of us that it it is in a coma and is not expected to recover.

11. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

So you're a fan of which model of the universe?

12. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

I am presently exploring absolute space.

When you have more statements than questions it might be possible to resume dialogue. Until then, CANGAS has left the building.

13. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

Your arrogance is misdirected, I can't give you good questions unless I know where you stand on related topics.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

A bit late in my answer, but:

If you collide particles together that are traveling at very high velocities, some of the energy dissipated in the collision will go toward creating new particles. That's how anti-matter is usually produced. There might be other schemes for converting energy to matter, but that's the only one I know of off the top of my head.

15. crazeeeeeem Registered Senior Member

Thought it was something like kinetik energy = 1/2mv^2. Since max velocity is c than this is equal to 1/2mc^2.

Loose the 1/2 because this is a measure of the average speed (not relevant here) and u get mc^2

16. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

The standard formula as quoted for kinetic energy is not based on AVERAGE speed. It is based on the instantaneous velocity at the moment of measurement.

17. crazeeeeeem Registered Senior Member

Wasnt that how it was derived originally. Have a faint memory of learning something like that a school. Anyway, heres a good URL http://hypertextbook.com/physics/mechanics/energy-kinetic/

18. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

I claim that the v in the standard equation of kinetic ( or is your spelling "kinetiK" actually correct ) energy refers to instantaneous velocity. You blatantly claim otherwise.

1. Show proof.

2. Prepare for laughter.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  19. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know how stupid people like me with no education can be valuable?

20. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

*Grunt*

21. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Filler up?

22. comisaru Registered Senior Member

Dear Muslim, the arabs produced more then the Kuran. For instance, only in mathematics, one of the most outstanding Arabic writers was al-Khwarizmi (c. 780 - c. 850). The title of his book, Ilm al-jabr wa’d muqabalah, is the source of the English word “algebra”. Al-Khwarizmi’s name has also become an English word, “algorism”, the old word for arithmetic. Al-Khwarizmi drew from both Greek and Hindu sources, and through his writings the decimal system and the use of zero were transmitted to the west.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As something speeds up, both E and M in that formula increase (taking M as relativistic mass and E as total energy). sqrt(E/M) is always c.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.