UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Clearly, Magical Realist's most recent "spaceship" is simple lens flare.

With his and river's denials, we see the psychology of the UFO True Believer laid bare.

These people have no interest in real explanations.

Good work, by the way, sweetpea.

Daecon likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nope. Can't be lens flare as the light is going the opposite direction of the car. Also there are several cars that shine their lights at the camera as they make that curve. It should be going on constantly with lights following each other. Why does the light only appear once? I will admit that this seems to be lens flare at first, but further analysis debunks that. Here's the video again:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

Refer to sweetpea's posts, above.

In a picture viewer run p1 to p8 to see the cars on motor way follow the curved road.
    The 'ufo' copies this curve. Why?

Notice (picture p7) the flare of light behind the man's left arm. It flares when the 'ufo' is also at it brightest. Why?

In picture c5 the flare shows in the close-up screen.
    Look at picture c5 and see a 'beam' from road to to 'ufo'. Why is that there?

See picture 'Light A' to see path of beam goes from middle of flare-up behind man's arm to 'ufo'.

Please explain these features of the video, to the best of your ability. You have not made any attempt so far. You can, of course, refer to any independent expert analysis to which you have access, if necessary.

Please explain this point in detail.

Explain why you think this, especially given that not all vehicles (and their lights) are identical.

Please outline the procedure you have used to confirm that it only happens once (and not several times, but more dimly in other cases).

Please detail the further analysis you have done personally, and link to any independent analysis to which you have access.

Thankyou.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The total duration of the video footage is less than 10 seconds, which doesn't give us much time to observe cars on the road and the light they produce.

Do you have a longer clip, Magical Realist, that runs for at least several minutes? This would enable us to definitively rule out lens flare from car headlights.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You can clearly see another car after the first car approaching the camera the same way the first car did and there's no light there. If it was lens flare we would be seeing another light moving horizontally again after the first. But none appears. That's enough for me to rule out lens flare. There is no reason why only one car's headlights would create that effect. Unless the first car's brights were on. So maybe...maybe not. Until I find more night footage of that live cam I can't say either way.

9. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Notice the car between the two light poles. Pointed directly at the camera.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

http://www.caelestia.be/lensflares.html

When a photo camera is pointed at a bright light source and the shutter button is pressed, there is always a possibility that light entering the camera will cause internal reflections. If this happens, bright spots or complex light patterns may show up in the picture. Cameras with a large number of image-forming elements - for example cameras fitted with a zoom or UV-filter - tend to exhibit lens flares more rapidly, as they contain multiple surfaces at which unwanted internal scattering occurs.​

When a bright light source is shining on the lens but is not in its field of view, a lens flare will appear as an area of reduced contrast or as a haze that washes out part of the image. This effect is thought to be responsible for a number of so-called "ghost" or "spirit pictures". When the light is very close to, or on the edge of the field of view, the flare will look more like a beam of light oriented in the direction of the light source that caused the reflection.

When the light source itself is in the field of view of the camera, lens flares can take the shape of an arc with a sunburst pattern, a ring, a three-dimensional looking spindle, an oval blob, or a flat polygonal spot. Often multiple lens flares appear aligned in a row across the image. Their shape and size depend on the curvature of the lenses, the nature of the light source (a setting Sun for example that is partly obscured by the horizon, can produce a secondary image in the shape of a half-disc) and the type of aperture that is used (for example, if the camera has a six-bladed iris shutter, the flare may display a hexagonal pattern).​

Lens flares can make very convincing UFOs. Fortunately, they are easy to identify as both the light source and its reflected image are usually located on a line that crosses the centre of the photograph and at equal distances from that centre (how lens flares can be identified is illustrated in some of our case examples).​

A somewhat different type of aberration may occur when zooming in on a bright point source. Especially the automatic focus system of early generation camcorders had serious problems with focusing on small lights, transforming stars, planets and distant aircraft lights beyond recognition into big diamond-shaped objects (in the case of a four-bladed iris aperture), or large semi-transparent discs with circle-shaped indentations at the periphery (looking somewhat like biscuits out of which someone has taken one or more bites). The luminous discs are caused by a ring-shaped element inside the zoom lens barrel. The circular indentations by rounded bulges at the inner edge of the ring.
    ---
    Note the key giveaway, which I have highlighted in orange. The video in question shows this feature and some of the others that I have highlighted in bold text.

Now, in light of the above, Magical Realist, are you willing to admit that his UFO is most likely lens flare? Or will you continue to deny?

11. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Maybe he'll try to convince us that he knew it was a lens flare all along and was just joking about it being a UFO.

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Fake MR here

That's exactly how real UFOs disguise themselves

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ugh..I will concede the possibility of lens flare here, but without more footage from the live cam it isn't really confirmed yet.

14. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

But the little green men, that's SOLID! :yawn:

15. birch Valued Senior Member

oh don't leave on my account.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

someone in the car has an amazing flashlight. i didn't know that your head lights could light up an object miles above you in the sky. but even if it was a lens flare, it doesn't explain what it has to do with the seeming ufo in the sky.

it may be unrelated and just coincidental it flared up around the same time. isn't that one of the favorite go-to's of debunkers too, coincidence? oh, but not this one, right? though i agree maybe not.

it doesn't look like headlights have anything to do with it. it looks like a searchlight or something akin to vegas strobe lights aimed at the sky or perhaps a helicopter's lights.

if it's not a doctored video, it's understandable why it would be pondered because there are two traveling with a billow behind them. it looks like a comet at first but they are traveling in pairs and turn in the same direction.

there is no concrete explanation so far.

Magical Realist likes this.
  17. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

"Aliens!" isn't a concrete explanation either.

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

It's not doctored it was live broadcast as I understand

IT WAS A LENS FLARE. IT WAS NEVER IN THE SKY. THE EFFECT WAS CONFINED TO THE INSIDE IF THE LENS

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Here's what real lens flare looks like. Notice it always accompanies a bright light shining straight into the camera, But on the video we don't see the moment of the bright light from the car shining until the last few seconds. The car only provides the necessary glare well after the ufo is seen moving across the sky. There is no glare to create the flare until the last seconds. Therefore it can't be due to lens flare.

There's also a noticeable tail on the ufo from the moment it appears. That's not possible with lens flare since there is no tail on the car headlights.

Here it is again:

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Clearly a UFO

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You... Do realize that lens flare does not require a light source be pointed directly at the photoreceptor, right? It merely requires light to reflect and/or refract within the lenses and lens assembly.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Show me an example of that.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm

about halfway down:

also:

It's actually rather fascinating - my wife is more a camera buff than I am, and one of our friends even more so (she does semi-professional photography, including wedding shoots and the like) and the number of factors to take into consideration when photographing is... actually rather intense.