UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Of course they do BUT BUT BUT ONLY of

Unidentified

and

Objects

Flying is up for debate

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I think even "Object" is up for debate, but depends on how you define it.
    e.g. do you mean something tangible, able to be held, etc, or do you mean "phenomenon"?

Take a mirage, for example, and let's say someone sees a lake of water. Is the lake of water the "object"? Or is the "object" the light rays, the bending thereof, i.e. the phenomenon rather than the interpretation?

This is why UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon - is probably a more accurate label than UFO.
    Sure, if one can confirm that it is an "object" (as defined), and is "flying", then UFO is appropriate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Yes I was of the mind of object being something tangible

But I take your point

Also point taken

I just find Phenomenon to be a bit pretentious

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. foghorn Valued Senior Member

But but but, how would you get to this...
    So, that ''proves it.'' My bold↑

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well woudja lookitthat. A flying object that is
    tic-tac-shaped, has
    no control surfaces,
    no wings,
    no windows,
    no visible means of propulsion
    and
    no exhaust signature

Here's a handy tip as to how to use this in a sentence:

If someone says "I saw a flying object that is tic-tac-shaped, has no control surfaces, no wings, no windows, no visible means of propulsion and no exhaust signature", it is tantamount to them saying "I saw an object that looked the same as an Airbus A320 looks."

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    James R and exchemist like this.
  9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This is really good!

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nope. Doesn't match the flight characteristics of the ufo tic tac at all. Sudden acceleration to supersonic speeds and disappearing in 2 seconds, abrupt changes of direction resembling a ping pong ball bouncing off a wall, and plummeting at 30 times the speed of sound. Also was seen hovering over the water that was churning around a larger object. Also measured on sonar traveling under water at 3 times the speed of a submarine. Nothing like an "airbus".

"The most famous incident was in 2004 where pilots who were attached to the USS carrier Nimitz had this encounter that has been described as the “Flying Tic Tac.” They were out flying over the ocean, and they looked down and they saw what appeared to be whitewater on the surface of the ocean, where the surface was troubled or roiling in some kind of a way. They look down and atop this spot in the water they see this object that they’ve described as looking like a capsule—which is where the flying Tic Tac analogy comes from. It was moving very erratically, seemingly very randomly over the surface of the water, doing all kinds of things that a plane doesn’t do. It doesn’t appear to have wings. It doesn’t appear to have a propulsion system like a jet or a propeller. And then it just disappears. There’s been some reporting that it’s then picked up two seconds later, many, many miles away by the radar systems on the carrier. So these people are describing—and the sensors are backing them up—some kind of physical object that appears to be moving at rates of speed and demonstrating aerodynamic properties and characteristics that don’t match what we understand as human technology."--- https://slate.com/technology/2021/07/shane-harris-interview-uap-ufo-report.html

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Pay attention, Magical Realist!

This is what a careful UFO investigation looks like.

See how it takes some effort, some knowledge, and some critical thinking?

A great learning opportunity for you.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Except in how it looks and how it appears to move, when seen from another aircraft, you mean? LOL.
    You know that no such things have ever been verified for a "tic tac". Stop pretending.
    Hovering has not been verified, as you know.
    This is news to me. Where can I see these sonar records?
    Except in everything about how it looks on camera and appears to move. LOL.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You smashed Reply too quickly, before reading what you were replying to. There was no mention of flight characteristics.

What I posted was an example of a flying object that is tic-tac-shaped, has no control surfaces, no wings, no windows, no visible means of propulsion and no exhaust signature (you know, all those things you've been pointing at as compelling evidence beyond human technology?) - and yet is conclusively identified as that most mundane of all things in the sky - a Boeing 717.

Here, let me provide an infographic, to cut down on your reading effort:

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

It might be helpful to respost this account from earlier in the thread. I don't know the provenance of this document, but it comes from KLAS TV, the Las Vegas CBS affiliate. It appears to be a leaked photocopy of an official summary of some sort, lightly redacted. If it's accurate, then the first tic-tac encounter more than qualifies as "extraordinary" in the dictionary sense of 'extra-ordinary'. As to what the ultimate nature of the contact was, I don't know. I believe that much of the content of this document has been corroborated by Fravor and others involved. So I'm inclined to treat it as plausible.

https://media.lasvegasnow.com/nxsgl...TIVE REPORT_1526682843046_42960218_ver1.0.pdf

Magical Realist likes this.
  15. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The photograph in the lower right isn't an Airbus A 320. It looks to my eye like a Douglas DC-9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A320_family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-9

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Good eye!

My fault. Pasted from the wrong text. The observer flight is an Airbus A320.

The video identifies the target as a Boeing 717 at 06:30:

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Calm down James. You're as giddy as a school girl on prom dance night..

Nothing about Mick West's video discounts the extraordinary flight behavior of the tic tac ufo seen that day. In fact it rules it out as a flying airbus could never perform like that. How do you account for the tic tac's strange flight characteristics?

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Please show us a video demonstrating this tic-tac's strange flight characteristics so we can account for it.

I didn't provide someone's verbal recounting of an event; I provided video demonstrating explicitly the actual event along with conclusively corroborating evidence, that identifies the object in-question right down to its flight number, time and location.

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

All details of pilots' eyewitness accounts. Do you think they just made all that up?

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

So - for the record - no video where we can see any flight characteristics that need to be accounted for. Noted.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Not at all illuminating.

It's a pity the US Air Force must bow to Dude On a Commercial Flight with a Smart Phone when it comes to cutting edge 21st century video recording technology. He captured pics while munching on peanuts that they (apparently) could not with their fighter jets.

The old adage applies here: "pics or it didn't happen".

The one thing I do find interesting is that the executive summary describes a Boeing 717 perfectly.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You accept the eyewitness description of the ufo as a wingless, propulsionless tictac, but don't accept the eyewitness description of its flight characteristics? Why is that? Why are they credible about its appearance on the one hand, but not credible about its maneuvers on the other hand?