UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

As opposed to your "They were there and they don't know what they saw?"

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It seems related to the fallacious argument from incredulity: a flock of geese or a breaching whale is more likely or believable than a ufo, therefore...etc.etc..

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Noooooo

As opposed to Made (collectively) up the whole event

Newspapers published testimony from witnesses who said that they had seen extraordinary solar activity, such as the Sun appearing to "dance" or zig-zag in the sky, careen towards the Earth, or emit multicolored light and radiant colors. According to these reports, the event lasted approximately ten minutes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

IF WITNESSES had seen extraordinary solar activity, such as the Sun appearing to "dance" or zig-zag in the sky, careen towards the Earth, or emit multicolored light and radiant colors.

effects on the Earth would be catastrophic and reported world wide

My 2 cents worth - looking at the sun caused eyes to produce said effects, namely (appearing to "dance" or zig-zag in the sky, careen towards the Earth, or emit multicolored light and radiant colors. )

So YES they DIDN'T SEE what they saw - as opposed to your taking, frequently, witnesses at their word, simply because they were there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

DaveC426913 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Whatever you say...

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well, Michael has hit the nail on the head, in that the "Miracle" he refers to is one of the best known UAPs in all human history, claimed to be seen by many, many people, and yet it cannot have objectively happened as claimed.

That puts the lie to the idea that we can always take what witnesses claim to see as objectively real. Witnesses DO misperceive and misidentify mysterious unidentified aerial phenomena. That cant be argued.

And that places the onus on the UFO believer to demonstrate that a given UAP - even one seen by many multiple witnesses - is somehow not a misperception and misinterpretation.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Michael 345 likes this.
  9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

And as I mentioned, as 4 years Radio Technician RAAF, even if the witness is a technical piece of equipment, once we fixed the glitch UFO magically disappear

Image from Disney

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Was that before or after the object was confirmed by being sighted by pilots and detected by other radars as happened with the 40 ft long tic tac.

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Most times was a single piece of equipment with a glitch

Can't recall any glitches being visually sighted

Some visual sightings did not show up on radar but that's normal

Most visual sightings seem to vanish before pilots get a good close look to confirm an identity

Guess what? The Unidentified Flying Object becomes a ? ? ?

All together now

Most fun I have had since I rearranged icons on my phone

12. foghorn Valued Senior Member

But, but that's just your mental illness and paranoia surfacing when it comes to witnesses. My bold below

I think the idea of this thread is that we are all suppose to forget what MR has said about witnesses and what ufos ''ARE'' in past posts.
    Wonder why they keep an archive on this site.

MR and Yazata don't seem to have gotten the idea that others here are not saying ufos cannot possibly be craft.
    It's a question of the offered evidence, and of course MR & Co know more than anyone about foreign state spying technology.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You pretty much post the same things over and over in this thread. Why do you do that?

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You pretty much post the same things over and over in this thread. Why do you do that?

foghorn and Michael 345 like this.
  15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That much seems obvious, doesn't it? Just look at the many "solved" UFO cases.
    Viable compared to what? How do you rate the chances of the 'tic tac' being a bird, say, against it being an extraterrestrial spacecraft?
    Why? The evidence that UFO enthusiasts use to draw that conclusion is flimsy at best.
    Your best guess is that the tic tac is a terrestrial "craft" or "vehicle" of some kind, then? That's the "most likely" explanation, according to you. What kind of craft or vehicle do you think it most likely is, then? And on what basis do you draw that conclusion?
    How would anybody go about ruling them out entirely? The only way would be to positively ID the thing as something other than supernatural, "temporal" or "extradimensional", surely.

What is "extradimensional", anyway? Can you give me an example of anything that is "extradimensional" in the required sense? i.e. do we know of anything at all in our universe that has been confirmed to be "extradimensional? Or would UFOs be the first example of such a thing, if confirmed?
    How likely to do you think that is, compared to UFOs having mundane explanations? On a scale of 1 to 10, say.
    I think it would be foolish to claim there's "nothing to see", and I don't think any skeptic is seriously arguing that. The arguments are all about whether there's anything especially extraordinary about what is seen.
    I think that most UFO sightings involve somebody seeing something (i.e. an actual thing existing in the world) that they can't immediately identify. Problematic leap #1 is the argument from ignorance, that goes: "I can't identify this as something familiar, so it can't be anything familiar". Problematic leap #2 is the step that takes one from leap #1 to "Because it can't be something familiar, it must be something fantastical from my imagination (or the cultural imagination), like aliens or God or ghosts or time travellers." Neither leap #1 nor leap #2 has any valid justification.

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Edit to add LACK OF EVIDENCE after reading James reply

Lack of LACK OF EVIDENCE ANYTHING temporal supernatural or extradimensional gives me (as a anybody) all confidence to rule those OUT

If 10 is 100% ruled out put me down for a 10

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I know that statement from very personal experience

But but but the saying has its limits. I'll keep my 10 as a 10

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The only ones obligated to establish the claim that the eyewitness(s) misperceived something are the skeptics not the believers. The believers aren't obliged to prove a negative or a claim they didn't make.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You are the one continually claiming that witnesses always accurately perceive reality, and you use that to claim various implications (such as 'that means it had windows').

It is factually incontrovertible that witnesses do misperceive things.

OK, witness X thought he saw a shape in the sky that might have moved oddly, according to him.

So what? say we. People see weird stuff all the time. What's your point?

You hope to use that to claim UFO. That's the claim. The onus is on you.

21. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And, on the strength of such believers alone, you MR make statements on this thread like:
    My bold below
    Did you see the ''beings'' yourself MR?
    ''ARE''

22. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Says The Magic Roundabout pilot.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It is more logical to accept the accuracy of what multiple eyewitnesses say they saw than to dismiss their accounts as misperceptions. I trust what the eyewitnesses say they saw over what the skeptics say the eyewitnesses saw or didn't see. It's just common sense. Skeptics are inherently biased against ufos by their own belief system.