Improving reliability of electricity during a storm

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wegs, Aug 29, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

While I'm ranting, this also bothers me; when they report deaths that really aren't hurricane-related, but claim they are. So, are we assuming he'd still be alive if it weren't for the hurricane forecast? He slipped and fell off of a ladder...the hurricane had nothing to do with it. Sure, he was preparing for a hurricane, but the hurricane itself didn't cause his death. Not even close.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/wo...0190828-nozo7nv3xzazbesx3mcbcqbwiy-story.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well...the hurricane could possibly track to the west coast, as well...so it’s still too soon to tell where exactly it’s going.

I think I’ll stock up a little more tomorrow. See? If I sense a risk, I’ll do the right thing. It’s already a CAT 3 out in the ocean.

They’re not issuing evacuating anyone in my area so I wonder if that will change.

I’m scared for the Bahamas.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Think it hit Darwin as a 5 but would need to check

Will try for a link to newspapers at the time

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Predictable? Forget it. We have climate change, remember? The UK has less extreme weather than most places, but it is not the best, notoriously. France?

wegs likes this.
  8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Mother nature isn't predicable. You pick your poison.

Earthquakes and volcanoes in the PNW, hurricanes along the east and Gulf coast, tornadoes in the Mid-West (and boredom). Snow in the NE and Mid-West. Heat in Arizona and Nevada is the culprit and flash floods and dust storms.

Power can go out anywhere.

Inland in the South you have humidity that makes you wish that a hurricane would take you away. You can't win.

Just stock up on water and don't worry about food. Weather forecasts don't make people panic however. People make people panic.

Move to Hawaii. They have weather issues but it's worth it.

wegs likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hawaii has big spiders, though lol

So the path of Dorian has shifted a little - looks like it’s heading more north east. Still a strong unpredictable storm.

In watching the news, showing stations running out of gas, etc...how would the entire country handle a catastrophic event? If one state is running out of resources, suppose an event happened that affects ten states or the entire country? It’s kind of scary that water and gas are running out here in Florida over one weather event.

Thoughts?

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, keep in mind that there aren't any overall shortages. We'll use as much gas/food/water as we do usually. The problem only comes about because people try to stock up a few days before the storm hits, and local stores/gas stations run out. One easy solution is to stock up once a year, so that when the storm hits you are already prepared.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I guess. Or, maybe the utility companies should continue to explore new ways to improve sustainability and reliability of service, so millions of people don't have to go without power for a week or so.

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Moving is probably the best option.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol ^

Yep, I’m weighing my options. I don’t really like the southeast much, to be honest.

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I know the feeling. Go West young lady...

wegs likes this.
  15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The west coast of the US has always mystified me. In a good way. I have friends who live in CO, CA and Seattle - all who migrated from the east coast and they just love it. The Redwoods sound amazing. But the forest fires and earthquakes. There are no warnings when it comes to earthquakes.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It's a potential problem here in Seattle and we have had some and they say we are due for the "big one" but so far it hasn't been much of a problem and I've lived here a long time now. It's a more frequent problem in certain parts of California though. Fires aren't a problem up here either and they are only a problem is certain parts of California.

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I tend to stock up on items on a good special
    A few years back had some overseas students staying with me studying at Darwin University
    I finished up buying lots of toilet paper as the girls used them as tissues
    When they left I finished up with so many packs, 12 rolls to a pack, I have not bought toilet rolls in the last 2 years

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member