Improving reliability of electricity during a storm

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wegs, Aug 29, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I lived through Hurriane Irma, on the west coast...and I didn't even lose power. Another media scare...telling all of Florida to panic. I'm so over it. If you're in the eye of the storm, sure. Even in the bands. But, telling all Floridians to ''brace for Hurricane Dorian'' is a fucking lie. But, if you're one of the 700k people who have just moved here, you're scared because you have no clue what to expect.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The top pic in post 18 shows Hurricane Frances tracking up the west coast of Florida.

It's only "panic" if they turn out to be wrong.

By the time you realize they turn out to be right, it will be too late for you to do anything about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I live on the west coast. It's absolute chaos here. Gas stations running out of gas. Grocery stored packed and running out of supplies. This is on the west coast because the media is scaring everyone. You're hearing one thing on the news, and I'm here...telling you how chaotic it actually is. And for no reason.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, telling all Floridians that they should have 7 days of supplies is a good idea, and telling the East Coast to brace for Dorian is looking like a _very_ good idea. (But to your point, news channels don't sell any airtime when they tell people "Sarasota will probably be fine" so they concentrate on Miami.)
    I'm thinking that if you are one of the 700k people who have just moved there, and the idea of a hurricane hitting scares you, there's always Phoenix.

I have a friend who moved to West Palm Beach about 12 years ago. He's been hit by two major hurricanes so far. Some flooding but nothing too bad for them; they are in a pretty well protected apartment building. But it's definitely something to consider if people are wanting to move there and don't like storms.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You have the advantage of hindsight. You didn't get hit, so now you think you are immune.

Hurricanes are unpredictable. What the last one did bears little resemblance to what the next one might do.

What's the worst that happens if you prepare and you're right? You've got extra supplies.
    What's the worst that happens if you don't prepare and you're wrong? You may become a liability to rescue efforts.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you should go out and stock up.

It's up to you to decide what risk you're prepared for. After all, you're likely young and healthy and not dependent on care or medication, so even if you get hit, it will be an inconvenience at worst - for you. I assume you have no kids and no elderly with limited mobility and poor health.

I'm simply saying that you're acting like the call for preparedness is stupid. And it's not. It's simply a risk that you, personally, are able to take.

People likely will die. Just not you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

And ''they'' predicted devastation for the west coast of Florida with Irma, as well. I'm telling you, my area was barely touched...BUT, there were people without power. But not a lot of damage, otherwise. Now, in Texas, there was a lot of damage with Harvey, and I can see why evacuating would make sense.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Hindsight.

Sure. If we could see into the future, to know what the outcome is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That's it, I need a psychic. lol

I appreciate your thoughts, Dave and billvon. Rational voices of reason.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Okay...one of my friends told me about the hurricane that took place in Galvaston, TX? If you're not familiar, which I wasn't...look it up. That is crazy. But, I'm wondering how that happened, why that happened. It accounts for the largest natural disaster of US history.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Without a hint of wryness: probably because Galvestonians thought they were immune and didn't heed the warnings to prepare.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yes, I detect not a hint of wryness in your reply. lol

I don't believe I'm immune, but I'm not on the coast where this is going to be hit the hardest. The power can go out in lesser storms than this...so, I guess it would be prudent to always be ''on guard.'' But, to feel like the west coast is going to experience the same strength of a storm as the southeast coast of FL, is panicking for no reason.

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Should have been here for cyclone Tracy where they got it colossally right

and at Christmas Eve midnight with the massive winds picking up PEOPLE WERE STILL OUT GOING TO CHURCH FOR MASS

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Cyclone Tracy. So, I just looked this up. A cyclone is the same as a CAT 3 or 4 hurricane?

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

As it gets closer, it will be more predictable where it's going to go, but hurricanes historically have been known to track up the west coast, or even wrap around:

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

A cyclone is different in location only.

Strangely, Cyclone Tracy seems to have been classified as merely a tropical storm, yet it did a lot of damage.

Wiki lists it as: Category 3 Hurricane (SSHWS), Category 4 Severe Tropical Cyclone (BOM)

wegs likes this.
  19. exchemist Valued Senior Member

A cyclone, a hurricane and a typhoon are all just different regional names for exactly the same thing.

wegs likes this.
  20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol We’re all gonna die!!!!

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Interesting. I had no idea.

I want to move to a place where weather isn’t disruptive. There’s weather, but it’s predictable. Where might that be?

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm not.

Haven't had a Trailer Park Killer up here since good ol' Hazel in '54.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Wow...I just looked that one up, too. Killed hundreds of people, and it was a CAT 4 hurricane.