Implanting a tooth instead of root canal

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cosmictraveler, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

He's depending on the implant not to shift slightly during the healing. It's one of those things that will probably not happen, but if it does you'll have to start over.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well I just had my second X ray after 2 months now and all is well so far. I do not relish the fact if he must start over he must cut my gum open again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ellie Banned Banned

If it weren't so painful i would just pull my own teeth out. Replace 'em with some nice fake ones.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Well, what we are doing is just that - replacing shot teeth with fake ones - only we are having a dentist/oral surgeon do the removal.

They are just permanent fake teeth that you don't take out and that feel and act like real teeth, except they don't rot.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Did you know that even doctors never diagnose themselves, they always go to someone else to get advice about severe problems. That said you should see a dentist once a year just for a check up and then have your teeth cleaned as well. Never do your own dentistry or else you will just make a bad problem worse.:itold:

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I completely agree with Cosmic on this one.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The changes in dentistry reflect changes in culture by being more cosmetic. For instance you could imply that if you have a gaping hole where a tooth was, or have to put up with a form of denture, it can effect your psychology (after all "you don't have teeth" or you don't smile to hide a gape etc.)

This can effect the psychology to cause people to be more introvert, so changes in dentistry are done not just because the technologies have changed, the pricing is less or the preceedure is easier. It's done to aid a persons mental health and well being.

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Call it whatever you want, anyone making $3000 for 2,5h of work is fucking extorsion to me.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Well, my oral surgeon shot me up in the rear of my mouth with a cocaine derivative, pulled the shot tooth that had been killed by the impacted wisdom tooth (that I had already had removed previously). He then cut open my gum in front and behind where the removed molar had been, carved out my jaw bone, filled the hole with a bone graft compound and sewed it all up.

3 months later he shot me up with the procaine, cut a small circle in the gum there, drilled a hole through the new bone and screwed/hammered a hollow titanium anchor in there. After covering the center hole of the anchor with a titanium screw I waited another 4 months when he cleaned it all up a bit, set the gold plated titanium abutment (support for the crown) on top of the anchor and attached it with another titanium screw. He then glued a temporary plastic cover over that. All of that was about $2500.

The crown cost me $1200, titanium plated with gold again, all covered with dental porcelain to match my other teeth in both colour and translucence. It now functions exactly like a 'real' tooth.

This is a job that I could not do myself. He is an experienced surgeon - that take many years of advanced education (think lotsa money). When he worked on me he had 1 or 2 assistants in attendance. I was in a surgical suite in his facility in an office building. He has a lot of overhead. All in all I paid a fair price for what I got considering all of the variables.

It really sucked not having that tooth and having to chew on the other side of my mouth for 7 months. All of my other teeth drifted while that tooth was gone. If I had not got it replaced they would all have continued their drifting and my bite would have gone off match. That would have messed things up even more for me, so I had to have it done.

Not extortion though, just fair charge to a highly skilled professional for serious surgery to address a major problem. While there were other less costly ways to handle this problem, I could afford to get it done right so I did that.

Oh yeah, BTW, the tooth feel pretty natural now, though lacking a nerve it is not sensitive.