Impeachment!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bowser, May 31, 2019.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There may some movement from the GOOP in response to crazy tariff talk. They may not prize their political ethics, but this is their money being threatened.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

it is very interesting
    he will back down on the car tariffs i suspect.
    funny because it will make japanese cars a lot cheaper and wont bring down prices of american made cars which are all very expensive and well above the price of the average working family.

whats next ? tariffs on japan ?

from having a look at news media numbers the imports to usa from mexico are around 400 billion.
    and all that imported stuff is stuff americans buy.
    which is going to possible cause a recession as people stop buying things and personal borrowing goes out of control
    this is likely to spark inflation and devalue the us dollar.

this will upset china & the middle east as they hold all their oil in us currency.
    THAT is going to be interesting.

personally im pro (reasonable) tariffs(that promote value branding and market access to national businesses and allow new business start ups) and anti globalization of commercial laws that dictate business and economy in other peoples countrys.

i dont think private corporations should be running other countrys.
    however, they do run countrys by their very nature of how much business they do.
    its a bit of a conundrum(if you stop all business, you get war).
    i wonder if big corporate globalists are going to start getting a bit shark like with how they operate.
    this will change the international landscape significantly.

specially if they nationalize(quasi nationalise by branding and head quartering to secure no tarrif market trade lines) themselves to hold control of tariff power to exercise price control.
    this will spark a massive escalation in international trade wars as economy's get their products tariffed out of the market.
    what if Mexico turn around and start trading with india and russia and china directly and stop all trade to the usa ?
    then what ?
    the usa dollar will almost certainly crash.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Anti-trust laws are a good idea. And actually limiting corporations' reach, rather than just their liability; regulating banks and money-trafficking; enforcement of contract obligations; fair employment practice; environmental accountability... stuff like that.
    But they can buy governments so there is nobody to control them.
    As long as democracy runs on money, democracy is a corporate subsidiary.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If they try to get rid of Trump, or stifle him, or oppose him in public, the "leadership" will encounter the voting base they have organized.

That will be - already has been - entertaining. Many of them still think they are running this show.

8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Isn't it time they met the constituents?

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why on EARTH would they do that? The deceptions they have running now are working great for them.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

were working great
    structure don't look a bit wobbly to you?

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not as long as Trump keeps his fake news bubble alive.

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

bubble
    (Well, hey, it's the first day of my gardening season warm enough to plant out the overgrown cucumber seedlings, but it started to rain the minute i stepped outside. I'm determined to find a silver lining.)

sculptor likes this.
  13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

We're all going to die in a global conflagration the likes of which nobody's died before -
    but I will have had my pickles.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Get in the back of the windowless van, and realize that the Trump rally attenders are driving? There is no such time, from their pov.

Look at what happens to those who did - Ben Sasse is looking kind of haunted, these days https://twt-thumbs.washtimes.com/me....jpg?56ef4d2aa3cd8e8db0e2349d1f39ba6927cc3d84. He still thinks he can keep some of his soul, maybe - not a happy situation for the young man.

He has to figure out some way to not vote for impeachment articles to be filed against Trump, without violating every political and ethical principle he has ever claimed to stand for.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the dems have the policys for the future of the republicans children
    the republicans have nothing to offer but faking a race war to win votes

will the business tycoons allow that Republican campaign vote race-war-game create the new language of international business relations & trade agreements ?
    how is that going to work around the negotiations table ? lol !

maybe there is enough new cars already
    why does the world need soo many new cars all the time ?

whats all this BREXIT nonsense about ?
    what type of car is a johnsonDonaldMinor ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  16. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Oh great another generation will be born that has to use the internet to learn anything factually unbiased.

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Good luck with that.

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

ok
    question
    if trump did commit a crime and is tried for it via impeachment and not found guilty
    does double jeopardy apply?

does impeachment then give him a "get out of jail free card" so to speak?

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I don't know what the impeachment procedure is. I suppose, if they impeach on one particular crime and can't prove it, then he gets to serve out his presidential term.
    Bit i don't believe it gets him out of jail on any charge - maybe even that same one? - in a court of law. And he can potentially be charged several dozen other crimes. Remember, this guy has lied and cheated his way through life for 70 years (I have no reason to think he was born dishonest, and also no reason to believe he was an hones child. Whatever happened, it happened early. )

20. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

If he committed a "crime" and is not found guilty then the circumstantial evidence (issues surrounding the potential wrongdoing) is found to be free of malice. So double jeapordy would apply, but this is not a "get out of jail free card". The only get out of jail "free" card is to post bail and disappear.

Double jeapordy just means once a case is decided it can not be challenged by the same court. But can be tried by a higher one "if" new evidence appears.

Appealing to a higher court under the same evidence is not permitted. Even if the person is found guilty.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Impeachment does not depend on a crime being committed, a common misconception.

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Well this just the google box, but I'm inclined to believe it:
    Maybe those misdemeanours are not necessarily indictable under the criminal code, but they must be bad deeds of some description, and they still need to be proven.
    I'd be okay with just treason - even though that probably wasn't done with malice aforethought. I have no problem crediting him with malice, but forethought???

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No.
    No one is "tried for a crime" via impeachment - even if "convicted" afterwards they do not thereby face the legal penalties of whatever crimes were the grounds, but instead merely face removal from office. That is the only formal jeopardy - and a criminal trial afterwards would provide no such jeopardy. There is no doubling of jeopardy.

Unfitness for office is not a crime - the crimes are just evidence of unfitness. There is much other evidence, in this case.

From Wiki:
    and significantly, from Wiki, illustrating the Supreme Court's affirmation that Congress has a sworn duty to launch impeachment inquiries in relevant circumstances: