I'm Sixteen

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tyler, Jul 28, 2002.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It's nice how girls stop running after the assholes once they grow up. We still have to go through lonely teenager years, unfortunately... yuck...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But seriously, most girls that give up on the asshole type of guy give up because they get screwed around so many times.... A lot of my wife's girlfriends actually had kids with assholes, and now they are stuck. So sad...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I think many, at twenty, are still gunnin' for the asshole. But at university there are so many goddamn people my age that it isn't hard to find the group of girls not interested in that.

I have to say, I found it easier having less choice in girls. I'm grateful I have my girlfriend, very grateful. But outside of that it was much simpler just having less around me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

It seems as if you are confusing intelligence with originality. According to what Hume outlines (and this is obvious), ideas are merely compounded, divided, and transformed. It goes without saying that you are only intelligent if others say you are and then.. in context of such milieu.

Those who have wisdom are not motivated by wanting to be seen as intelligent but (perhaps) by wanting to see themselves as intelligent (or enlightened, if you like). When people tell me I'm smart I get embarassed because I know there are those who are around my age, and sometimes younger, who are far ahead of me in mathematical, scientific, literary comprehension. And though I strive to reach them (no one likes to come second), it seems like I never even come close.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you, Tyler, is that you should find selfish motivations for improving your mind. And, then, use sciforums as a tool to further transform and compound and refine your own conceptions. The biggest learning epochs of my life have been spurred on this very site. I remember the first significant thing I learned on this site: it was about the swastika and how it was not merely a 'nazi symbol' to be despised and misunderstood. Later conversations on religion, linguistics, neuroscience, etc here, removed of all class, age, economic, schooling stratifications inspired me to read like a mad man. There is nothing like reading to convince you that you don't know as much and are not as intelligent as you had previously imagined. In my case this goes for nonfiction books. I loathe reading novels, especially those containing social messages and morals (ahem, Dostoevsky..).

Not only sci, but the internet as a whole, can be a very potent tool even in a world where you feel as though you are cramped and unable to stretch your wings in the sea of faces.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

You've found an overlap with the equality-thumping liberals. Well done

I'm curious as to how philosophical logic differs from mathematical logic. Language oriented rather than symbolic? But then what about languages like lojban? May be an idea for a new thread...

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Well, I would argue that Hume is totally off-base; I don't like his style of philosophy much at all. I think he tackles questons in precicely the wrong manner.

Anyway, I no longer care what the right meaning of intelligent, original, genius or insightful are. These sets are too difficult to define and it's a waste of time to start trying. There are real problems on earth, this isn't one of them.

My motivations for improving my mind come from an intense desire to have unlimited control over my surroundings. Nothing else, now.
    Eh. At the highest levels they don't differ. In the elementary levels mathematical logic is more about studying how to come up with answers to questions (such as; device a system that... or derive this sentence from this...) where as philosophical logic is the study of formal proofs. But once you hit the higher levels it's all exactly the same thing. It's one body of knowledge, you just approach it from a slightly different road.

9. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Wow, you're finally making sense Cool! That's awesome!

Tyler, u is smert. Don't worry about regurgitation: just try to see things from all possible perspectives and you might discover something new, at which point we can call you intelligent again.

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

It's been four years since the initial post. Safe to say my feelings have changed.

11. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I only noticed the dates after posting my reply.

Glad to know things are going well for you.