I'm Sixteen

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tyler, Jul 28, 2002.

1. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

I get it.

Did you find it by accident while looking through older stuff, or search for it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

So in a way, it actually was the ROFLCOPTER.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What? No... cool skill's post.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Right. ROFLCOPTER!

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, this thread is 4 years old....

Incidentally, I still speak with Tyler, and will let him know the thread has been ressurected...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

It sure is weird hearing yourself from four years ago.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

You find it weird? Do you remember my posts? Now that is weird! LOL!

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Welcome back, Tyler

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I sure do. I'm glad your mental condition has improved!

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Tell me Xev is still around

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes. But I have captured the beast and she is in my dungeon. I let her out sometimes to scare people.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  16. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Good find Absane, I'll be sure to keep that passage handy for some quotes

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Lol. I just found it funny how his past postings differ much more than today's postings. I mean, we are all different in the past than we are today... but man this was just gold.

18. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

So Tyler, comment on this thread, please! What do you think now? I didn't notice it was an old thread until I came to the recent posts. Interesting enough, but why don't you make it more interesting by commenting on your old posts?

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Well for one I come off like a douche. There was a point to my message, and it's one I still grapple with, but I didn't communicate it effectively at all. Instead, used the space and time to do more chest-thumping than was necessary.

I think the great (Q) summed it up nicely.
    "And if I hear anymore whining about this subject from you, I'll come to Toronto and kick your lily white ass !!!"

Though, now he would be coming to Montreal.

Anyway yeah, the problem in it's most bare form still exists. I'm at McGill in Montreal majoring in Math and Philosophy and I'm still bored to tears by most of my schooling. Though, I have found my academic passion - and that is Logic. I've scored 100% on the first few logic courses and managed to wiggle my way into taking two Masters level classes in my third year of Undergrad (four year program). After that, I'll be doing research work with the Chair of Philosophy - one Michael Hallett, an absolute titan in the world of Logic. So I'm very fortunate in that respect.

But Philosophy in what the world considers the traditional sense bores me to tears. The 16 year old Tyler felt there was something amuck with philosophical direction and the 20 year old Tyler now feels he's gotten a few steps closer in identifying what, exactly, is amuck.

As for my relation to how my peers view me...
    Well, that hasn't changed except to become more absurd. No one at McGill has scored the way I have in even the introductory logic course and I've received special attention from the Chair in the last year; because of this the circle of phil-kids have decided I have some significant level of intellect. I have a reputation now, and it's not something I enjoy, though I would have expected entirely the opposite. People know who I am long before I know them, teachers know my name before I'm introduced to them...

These are not things to complain about, of course. All it means is that my success (in whatever way I chose to interpret that) can be bolstered by support of others. The only negative I can really attatch to it is that it weirds the shit out of me. That and I feel like a phony. I'm friends with one student who is the titan of McGill in physics. Like no questions asked, he's the genius of our school in physics, correcting teachers on a fairly regular basis. My girlfriend has to be the smartest kid in mainstream-philosophy (non-math driven, I mean) with a 4.0 average (which is, perfect). Another friend of mine is quite clearly the best vocal student in the school and will be given whatever position he wants afterwards.

I've been very fortunate to be surrounded by such brilliant individuals. That I've managed to somehow garner their respect and admiration speaks to something, and I won't be so foolish as to deny that. It's gotten past the point of me contemplating my own intellect. What does it matter, anyway, what my evaluation determines?

There are many, many things more important in life than how intelligent Tyler Cohen is. Indeed, other questons plague me about myself now, but this one is irrelevant. Popularity and attention from individuals that I'd never have received before are now what distort my thoughts.

This is something that happens to everybody, so I would like to note that I feel no great distinction because of this - it's just that I'm neurotic and obsessive over fine details. Sixteen year old Tyler had very few women in his life; around that time I had two or three fairly good looking girls who were somewhat interested in me. On top of that, I had my core group of friends who put no special distinction on me whatsoever except that I was the chubby member of the group (the others being the ugly one, the annoying one and the awkward one). Our group beat up on each other a lot, and we all liked that.

Now twenty year old Tyler has things quite different. His group remains in tact, but the insult phase is done and I don't get my once-usual dose of daily-deprication. More importantly, there are all these girls. Less than six months ago I broke up with my ex of 2 1/2 years. Of course this was sad, but it was also necessary. She was too emotionally unstable for me and I was too independant for her.

In the very short interim from then until now, well: one girl throwing herself at me saying she loved me, three girls I've spent one or two nights with (with the decision to cut it short being mine), two girls from school asking to go out, and my current girlfriend (who is by all of my judgements the most beautiful, intelligent and seductive girl I've ever met).

Sixteen year old Tyler would have literally had an aneurysm if he saw the girl he was with now. And my big decision I had to make around the start of things with her? Whether or not to spend a night with a girl who's literally a perfect 10 while the gf and I were just initially getting together. I mean this girl's (the 10) the kind that every guy she walks past stares.

Now, I'm not a particularly great looking fellow. I look just fine and I talk fairly well and I walk with confidence and composure. Like I said, this happens to a lot of people -> it's university, everyone's just having sex with everyone else. But, my experience has been jarred by the fact that I had a sort of three year delay button on this. My girlfriend started around the time when not many people were having sex with anyone, and then ended right when the boom of everyone shacking up willy nilly had gone past it's explosive stage. In effect, I missed out on the whole transition, I've just landed in this weird hole of nymphomania.

Anyway, more useless concerns. Like I said, everyone's sleeping with everyone. The only thing that is actually an issue in all that is my friends and roommates do not have the same experience as myself. Most of my male friends are either weird and shy (and bizzare) or, politily, not the best lookin' apple on the tree. In short, I feel like a jackass everytime something new with a girl happens.

But I will say the current girlfriend is entirely different. I don't know or care why she has interest in me, but if you asked her she'd say she's the one infatuated and there's no reason for me to like her. Yet she's undeniably gorgeous, etc. I'll spare you all the constant gushing. Though, I could gush for days and days and weeks about her.

Anyway, there. How you like them apples?

20. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I actually miss my sixteen year old stage. I suppose this is the archetype of 'grass is greener...' but I found the mental problem's accompanying that age to be much easier.

I would rather be struggling to prove to myself and others that I am distinctly and significantly intelligent than to have them think it. Once they think it, there's a certain piece of motivation that falls away.

There's a large part of me (maybe the whole thing) that is a performer through and through. I love the art of interacting with people - whether it be through music, acting or simply conversation. Now, at twenty and having admiration and interest from my peers, it feels like the game (for the time being) is over. I know when I finish school there will be new frontiers to push through and new battles to face and new skills to learn... But, I do think I'd have enjoyed undergrad more if I'd not gained all that I have by second year.

Like a great piece of music - or, any art - anticipation breads greater release, and I feel the trigger was pulled too soon on my college life.

Still, like I said, this is only a relative negative. My life could be much, much worse.

21. Roman Banned Banned

No, but I have pictures.

22. Roman Banned Banned

Also.

It sounds like you're sort of a genuis.
    I used to get the "you're smart" thing when I was sixteen. Then it turned out I really wasn't. Well maybe I am smart, but I've sort of given up on my brain. It's gotten boring. Being dumb is far more fun.

Nice work with the girls, by the way. It's weird going from socially anxious smarty-pants to chick magnet, huh?

23. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Regardless, I'm not and not anywhere close. Everyone's good at something, I happen to be good at logic. And logic happens to be something very few people have natural aptitude for. That doesn't make me any smarter than the rest, it just means I have a more narrow and unusual skill. This, of course, doesn't dull the cheering crowd.

It's like if I went to play hockey in Nepal. Of course I'll be the best fucking hockey player they've ever seen - no one there takes up hockey!!
    Well, a lot of it has to do with the girls changing. In fact, all of it does. Many university (and specifically philosophy) girls just want someone who can wow them with conversation. In high school that wasn't part of the equation. Girls now just want you to be confident in your intellect and quick with words. If you can impress them with words, you're gold.