If you consider yourself to follow Eastern Religion, what religion do you belong to?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Ozymandias, Feb 24, 2004.

?

If you belong to an Eastern Religion -- which one?

1. Shinto, or any other (if there are any other) Japanese native religions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hinduism.

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Buddhism.

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Taoism.

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Confucianism.

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Jainism.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Zoroastrianism. (Yeah, it's not exactly Eastern, but I thought I might include it.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Tantra

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Sikhism

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  10. (Other).

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. I do not belong to an Eastern religion.

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I'm just curious. If there are any Buddhists or Hindus ... or any of the above, then I'd like to know. My guess is that most of SciForums is Atheist. (points to Religion forum)

I have not made separate options for the many different branches of Buddhism or Hinduism, simply because I'm not aware of them all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Oops, forgot periods after 'Tantra' and 'Sikhism.' Dang.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The question is strange, eastern "religions" are not like western ones. They often do not require one to belong, follow, or believe. Traditionalists might disagree.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

I voted for Hinduism!

8. kmguru Staff Member

It is on the record that I follow Sanatana Dharma. See the very first post in this section if it is still there.

9. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Humm. Three Hindus, three Taoists, three Buddhists, three non - Eastern. Interesting!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was expecting all of the votes to go under "I do not follow and eastern religion."

10. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Hmm... the balance is evident!

11. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

well, spidergoat, do not (and never) ignore the existence of fanaticism.

12. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

UltiTruth; The balance was shattered! Call in another Taoist, Hindu, and Buddhist!

13. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

The Buddhists have managed to catch up

How about the rest?

On a second (rather serious) thought, is it possible that the options chosen (and most importantly not-chosen) here represents which countries who haven't had any representative here in sciforums? As far as I can say from the "where are you based" forum, I don't see Japanese......

14. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

I voted for 'I don't follow any eastern religion'.

That's because I follow truth. Wherever I may find it, the name doesn't matter.

15. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

That's very possible curioucity. I doubt that Jainists and Zoroastrians visit these types of sites, as well as probably lacking a computer.

Now let's get a Taoist in here and catch up!

16. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

// I doubt that Jainists and Zoroastrians visit these types of sites, as well as probably lacking a computer.//

Ozy : Stop being idiotic and judgemental. Why exactly do Jainists and Zoroastrians lack a computer?
    One of the largest business houses in India - TATA, which is the leading manufacturer of Iron and Steel in the country among other things, is a Parsee group. Parsees are zoroastrians. Give educated replies please.

17. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Is it? And this is my 200th post too!

18. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

So? I have yet to see a Zoroastrian or a Jainist, as according to my poll. Whether or not my comment was "stupid and judgmental," it seems to have been correct.

edit, although I do admit the comment about lacking a computer was one made in haste, so? I make lots of comments I later regret. I'm flawed like that.

19. Buddha Registered Member

Don't we all?

20. You can expect the results to be skewed, though. Of course there will be a lot of Buddhists and Hindus in this forum. I guarantee wildly different results if this was posted in, for example, the Physics forum.

21. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Guess what, I am an atheist, but I really prefer eastern religions to their western counterparts. I like the idea that the right acting is most important. The way is the destination. Alas I am a sceptical and can not bring myself to believe completely in any kind of system, be it religious or not.

22. Canute Registered Senior Member

The whole point about most 'Eastern' 'religions' is that you dont have to believe in a system, you just have to find out whether they're true or not.

Question for any Taoist scholars - I'm trying to follow up a reference to 'The Kuan Tzu' but cannot find the text. I thought Kuan Tzu was a sage, not a text. Is 'The Kuan Tzu' a text by Kuan Tzu, or has someone muddled up a peson with a text?

23. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Perhaps my formulation is lacking a bit. The last sentence should go like this:
    I can not believe in anything completely. I am perfectly aware that it is not a system.

Kuan Tzu was a sage, but it seems it is also a book, the author is Kuan Chung (at least the information I found states it that way). It is also called the Book of master Kuan (also "Kuan tzu chi pĀ“ing"). I hope this information is right.