If there is intelligent life why can't we detect it?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by trevor borocz johnson, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

If we consider our own signals and our technology to reveive them, then we could detect signals from earth in less than 1 ly distance. The signals weaken just so much, and our TV stations just try to cover a few hundred miles, so the signals aren't that strong.

It is estimated that a signal that we could receive from Apha Centauri has to be sent with 110 million watts. That's a lot, more than plant-covering radio or TV needs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Earth receiving mysterious radio signals from outer space; alien life source a possibility, believe astronomers

The reception of alien signals may be registered by our technology. Being perceptive or conscious of them is the next step.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cassius Malachi Registered Member

I think that there are several possibilities. I think that life is just what happens all over the cosmos when the chemistry set is appropriate, as to why we can't detect any, well....Either they're out there and don't want us to be able to detect them (kinda like Star Treks "Prime Directive"), we (governments) have detected them, know all about them, and for what ever reason, they are making it so we can't detect them. Or, what ever advanced races out there are using to communicate is beyond our knowledge or comprehension. If you have to communicate between interstellar distances, radio waves has to be one of the most inefficient ways to do so. Sure, light speed is fast, but not when you need to tell the space president who is 10,000 light years away that the wallpaper he wanted to redecorate his office on the galactic H.Q. planet is no longer available and that the closest they could find to it is three times the price! For urgent matters of state like that, radio waves is obviously laughably inadequate. I imagine a civilization at that level will be able to communicate over those distances pretty much instantaneously with technology that many of our species currently alive will say is, "impossible to do" in their infinite arrogance!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

What anybody think that we havn't already?

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well we certainly have no conclusive evidence for any existence of intelligent lifeforms or any other life off this planet as yet.

9. river

So you think.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, nothing to do with my thinking: That is fact. Unless you are privileged to some momentous discovery that I have missed...or unless you are one who dabbles in conspiracy theories and cover ups, to help support your illusions.

Little Bang likes this.
  11. river

Illustions are for those who don't have the will to investigate. You don't have the will pad; and likely never will.

Little Bang likes this.
  12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And you have personally investigated these so called sightings?
    And what means did you have at your disposal?
    Are you an official investigator?
    No, I have not personally investigated these so called sightings, but I also am confident that the investigations that have taken place, show no conclusive evidence of any Alien landings or contact.
    Your forum history though points to your many illusions and dreams of the supernatural. :shrug:

13. river

Read pad.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I do riv.....But I don't let my beliefs influence what is as plain as day and staring me in the face. Again we have no conclusive evidence for alien visitations or contact.....neither do we have any evidence for supernatural events, ghosts, goblins, god, giants etc etc etc.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing you have an extremely high opinion of the governments of the world. Among them, the guys who couldn't keep Monica Lewinski a secret.

16. river

High yes because high tech.science is so far beyond sex scandles; that it must remain secret. For now.

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The question isn't whether it must, the question is whether it is possible.

Is it safe to assume that you feel our governments are so well-organized that, not only can they hide evidence of alien contact, but that they can hide evidence of their hiding evidence? That they have an unlimited supply of money to bribe hundreds, or thousands of people who would be involved? And bribe them so well that - in the half century since we were a spacefaring race ourselves - not one single conscientious, honest, unbribable (or at least, disillusioned) person has come forward and admitted it? etc. etc.

What you propose is tantamount to implying that every member of high tech science is a member of Hydra - slavishly loyal followers that are - to a man - bent on keeping massive secrets from the world.

The problem with the government conspiracy scenario is that it requires a truly fabulous degree of competence on the part of multiple, warring nationalities across the globe. A level of competence that could end hunger and bring world peace, yet doesn't seem to be able to balance its own budgets.

paddoboy likes this.
  18. river

The US government has its ways. Even presidents that have tried to get to the truth of UFO's have been blocked; Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Take it from there.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well said, but telling river this is like pulling the rug out from underneath him...his whole world collapses.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You're attempting to be coy. It's not working.
    Spill your assertions, or you've got nothing.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Coy?? Our friend river? I see it as more of a cop out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. river

So you have no idea that both presidents tried to get information about UFO's ? And couldn't . WOW.

I thought you at least knew this.

23. Cassius Malachi Registered Member

All the things you hear about what you've just said (presidents & aliens, ect) obviously you have to take with a grain of salt. Especially all the bullshit T.V. shows like, "Ancient Aliens" and the like. But here's the thing, even if 99% of all that we see in the media (mainstream or otherwise) is bollocks, that still leaves the remaining 1% that isn't! Surely, the most important field in the history of mankind?! As I said above, most of the shows in the media covering this stuff is most likely stinky, stinky bull-shit but, every now and again, something is said or mentioned on a program that just, "has the ring of truth", and this is something I heard that struck me.....After having his own personal U.F.O. experience, President Jimmy Carter wanted answers. Long story short, he was briefed by "someone" for several hours regarding the subject. After he was briefed he stayed in the room and sobbed for several tens of minutes. I've picked my reasoning for hearing truth in this statement apart. From me wishing it to be true for whatever reason, repressed child hood trauma, the feeling of detachment from society, a void of spirituality due to the atheist movement-whatever! After picking apart all my reasons why I might "need" to believe this, I still feels true to me.