If the whole world population suddenly knew

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Xmo1, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

what the universe looked like - Shouldn't that get a little more network broadcasting time?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What are you talking about?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

"more" ... than what? Than it's getting now?

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Is this an if/then statement without the "then"...."If the whole would population knew what the universe looked like"...?

If all green apples were suddenly red. Shouldn't we know more about this?

If Spring comes after Winter. I want to know more.

Topic for discussion...if everyone goes to the beach this weekend...discuss.

RADII likes this.
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. What Seattle said.

10. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

The survey's of the universe, both macro and micro, have unfolded the a visual universe.
    Thanks Seattle.
    The scientific community in the United States has a scalable visual representation of the universe. So from subparticles to Earth, and from Earth to eventual future. I think, to a conglomerate of black holes into a singularity that eventually evaporates due to a lack of input. That's a long time from now.
    I'm thinking a 20 minute movie should do it. Broadcast it worldwide. Here's the universe folks.
    Can they send individual posts to pseudoscience?

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Anyone with YouTube could view such a movie now.

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Why would it need broadcast time if the whole world already knew?

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't waste 20 minutes on that. Who cares?

14. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

I grew up with a limited view of space. It was the astronauts and 2D mostly. Nothing like growing up now at all. The range of knowledge seems to have widened significantly. Telescope platforms, and Atomic microscopes, and youtube are going to cause a lot of people to rethink civilization.

When I posted I was thinking half the world population have no knowledge of the visual universe. Point to a star, and they seldom can tell you what it is. I think we should be quick to share the information with them.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Problem is, that's not due to a lack of knowledge; it's due to a lack of interest.

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

A lot of that rethinking is in the direction of stupid.

sweetpea likes this.
  17. Yazata Valued Senior Member

When people look upwards into the sky at night, that's the universe out there in real life. That's what it looks like (to the naked eye at least).

Most of the universe is empty space, isn't it? So before it would start to look like anything besides blackness, you would have to monkey with the scale, reducing the distance between stars.

I've seen those powers of ten things, that expand (or shrink) the field of view by 10X each time. I remember a science teacher showing me one of those in high-school many decades ago. They are pretty cool, I certainly liked it. Looking back on it, they weren't entirely to scale. When the scale expanded to the orbit of Mars, I think Mars was depicted too large so that it would show up better.

I'm not sure what effect it would have. I don't recall it having any big transformative effect on the kids in my high-school science class. I've always remembered it though.

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

some people "want to know" for scientific discovery
    some people "want to know they already know" for personal ego/cults/religions etc...

do not expect a conservatist capitalist to entertain the distribution of 'science as knowledge to increase intellectual minds'.
    they are quite the reverse.

20. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

The ESO GAIA Milky Way image is so impressive. Seeing it, and knowing that this is what the universe, by extension, is after connecting it to everything else like the Boss Great Wall is a picture of the universe that has never been realized until now in human history. This must influence the psyche of human beings, and again by extension, the fabric of social systems around the world. It's going to be transformative to look at the extremely small and the extremely big all in one sitting at this scale and scope. It's like the invention of photography, or the discovery of electricity. It hasn't happened overnight, but there it is.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  21. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

Something no one talks about is the possibility that we are the only humans in the whole universe. I think historically that was the view from the invention of the telescope up to the Drake equation. The Drake equation isn't that amazing. It's more theater than anything else. No one here knows if there is sentient life anywhere else in the universe. That's almost evidence that there isn't any. So much for the Drake equation. What I think when I see it is how strange it is. What is it, and why is it. We seem to be a simple by-product, which allows me to shed a light on people who have it in their minds to control people, rather than to take care of them.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That is self-evident. Humans, by definition, only come from Earth.

Perhaps you meant 'the possibility that we are the only intelligent life form'?

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018