If pot is the biggest cash crop, shouldn't it be legal?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Bubber, Dec 21, 2006.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You didn't read the study that was indicated above? If not, why not? It shows clearly that MJ leads directly to the use of harder drugs. Seems pretty clear to me, too.

By the way, you say, "No, it don't", so does that mean you have studies or statistics or other such info to prove your point?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Correlation isn't causation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sauna Banned Banned

deleted

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Correctamundo dudester!

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

it's on a pro drug site
    what task might that be?
    uh, because we are dicussing legalizing marijuana maybe?
    criterias?
    yes i made them up seeing as nobody else was going to.
    show me where i said you had to?
    like i stated in the very post they are listed in, i feel they are qualities a national drug should posess.
    again, criterias?
    my choice is not alcohol.
    i held off responding to this post because of this statement, i'm still shaking my head in disbelief.
    i never once said it wasn't.
    i suppose more than a few burned witches at the stake too.
    just argue the facts and leave bullshit like this at home.
    like you like to point out, is the author pro drug, anti drug, or neutral?
    paper can be made from anything containing cellulose, cornstalks come readily to mind.
    with the wide variety of synthetics available this is a moot point.
    what of these 3 can you get from hemp?
    all of these can be obtained from coal tar.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Let's see what my poll throws up.

11. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

too bad i cant buy stock in marijuana

12. barehandkiller Registered Senior Member

coal is not a renewable resource and you have too mine it which is dangerous and harmfull to the enviroment.
    Peace

13. Bubber Herbal Cannabinoid Lover Registered Senior Member

A study was done in 2001 comparing drug use in the Netherlands to drug use in San Francisco. Specifically Marijuana. Following is an excerpt from a news article:

It also went on to say:

The findings appear in the May, 2004 issue of the American Journal of Public Health..... That's a link to the left there dude.... you can click it.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

No, because when it's illegal it's an untaxed cash crop.
    Also having it illegal gives the government the perfect excuse to launch a war on drugs, which pays the salaries of a lot of people.

Basically, with legalized drugs you cannot have a war on drugs, and without a war on drugs you lose a lot of jobs.

15. Bubber Herbal Cannabinoid Lover Registered Senior Member

I hate to admit it TimeTraveler, but those are all good points.

I suppose we would have to create an equal number of jobs in the legal recreational drug industry.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

In short, because we have serious logic problems:

OK, I made up another one. The criteria for national drug is: its name has to start with mari and has to end with juana.

Marijuana won!!! Who would have thought???

Annie

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

the guy that authored this piece says crack and cocaine aren't addictive.
    he goes on to say that most americans that try cocaine do not become addicted to it.
    in my opinion this throws serious doubts as to this mans integrety.

what? what happened to the url?
    anyway the qoute was supposed to be the link you cited.

18. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

just because you try or do tree doesent mean your ognna start the meth or crack o anyhthing like that! i do "m" some times with some of my friends, and we never go farther, and if they ever decide to id leave, just because osmeone smokes pot doesent make them stupid or a bad citizin, half of my firneds msoke pot, and some of them are also the smartst kids in my 10th grade year in high school

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I read it and it is based on the fallacy that has overcome America lately.

CORRELATION DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSATION. Every scholar and every reporter should have that statement tattooed on the inside of his eyelids. It will reduce by about 90% the volume of crap like this that is routinely published and then parroted about in America. (And apparently Australia. Some aspects of our culture should not be exported.)

What idiot believes that if one twin chooses to smoke marijuana and the other does not, the only difference between them is the effect of the marijuana use? Why did one choose and the other did not? Does no one but me think this is a really intriguing question? But an even more intriguing--and far more important--question is why did not a single one of these idiots ask it before I did? Much less before they published this so-called "study"?

What was going on in these two kids' lives that led one to try a popular recreational drug and the other not to? Different friends? Different life-affirming experiences? No two children are treated alike by their parents, not even twins. If one gets more attention, will he feel stronger and not need drugs? Or will he feel invulnerable and assume he can safely take the risk? I'm not even a sociologist and these questions popped into my mind faster than I can type! If I were a sociologist (goddess help you all, I'd probably be banned by now for excessive pontification) I'd have a list of questions so long it would rival the Iraq report.

Someone brought up the well-known point (you people need to get off of this website more often if this argument is so new to you) that if you've been lied to throughout school by reprehensible wastages of our tax money like the D.A.R.E. program, you will begin to distrust all authority. The fact that marijana is illegal--and by golly so are heroin and methamphetamine and roofies and PCP--means that the scumbag authorities have probably been lying to you about all that stuff. The "gateway" position of marijuana is at least partially an effect of the illegality itself. For those who do not take the litmus-test libertarian position that all drugs must be legal because the Constitution does not grant the government the power to make them illegal, this should be enough to get you to start lobbying for decriminalization of at least marijuana.

Another aspect of illegality is the fact that everyone who buys marijuana and/or smokes it suddenly has transformed himself into a criminal. Once you think of yourself as a criminal, it will generally affect the way you see the world. Your whole paradigm of right and wrong has been upset. Couple that shuddering of your principles with the fact that the guy who sold you the pot also sells meth, coke, and everything else, and you've got convenience side-by-side with an ethical dilemma. If you bought your marijuana legally in the liquor store the only more dangerous drug that you might be considering moving "up" to would be Jack Daniels.

Then there's the more recent impact of illegality: drug testing. Marijuana has always been difficult to get away with because it's bulky and smelly. Pick up half an ounce on your way to work and leave it in your glove compartment on a hot day, then invite your boss to ride to lunch in your car... Now they can find THC in your urine a month after you smoked it once. This is a powerful inducement to try something that is just as illegal but less likely to lose a job opportunity.

Remember that over the last thirty years science has been popularized, politicized, and corporatized. It's hard to do research on drugs (or anything else for that matter) without the press, the government, or the pharmaceutical industry looking over your shoulder and offering you a grant contingent on you proving them right.

If you want a more objective view, the bible on drugs is still "The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs." Even Consumers Union caved in to the political pressure and hasn't issued an updated edition in thirty years. So you won't find the newer chemistry-set drugs in there. But the research is sounder than anything that has been done since, and as always C.U.'s goal was to inform people, not to influence them. There may have been some decent research done on drugs since then but there's almost no way to separate it from the crap like the report cited here, which won't stand up to ten seconds of peer review by someone who isn't even a peer but was educated back in the days when you had to be able to think to earn a bachelor's degree in anything.

Sorry guys, but this really is a piece of crap. Correlation does not imply causation. Not even in the distractingly, adorably cute situation of twins. (Thank the goddess they weren't able to do it with puppies or you fools would all be out there shooting drug dealers.) Correlation does not imply causation. Correlation does not imply causation. Please repeat that one hundred times before you hit the "enter" button again.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

correct
    i don't believe anyone here has said that have they?
    it would be interesting to see how many of those go on to other drugs.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

i'll agree. but you cannot deny the fact that drug use begins with marijuana and progresses to the others.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, it begins with cold medicine, soft drinks, and coffee. It begins with spinning around until you are dizzy. Getting high is a normal human activity.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

good point spidey.
    do you have any studies that show coffe drinkers are prone to pot use?
    how about cough syrup users? people that spin around?

the fact still stands that if you use pot you are more likely to go on to other more dangerous drugs.

the real question is why?